HELP, Red Eye Tree Frog, need feedback! - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Veterinarian Practice & General Health Issues

Notices

Veterinarian Practice & General Health Issues Anything to do with veterinarians, health issues, pathogens, hygiene, or sanitation.

Old 05-23-2009, 12:55 AM   #1
sharp.mac
Exclamation HELP, Red Eye Tree Frog, need feedback!

Greetings I will make this quick and to the point, I have a pair of Red Eye Tree Frogs. I got them at a reptile fair that recently came to town. (About 2 weeks ago)

Recently he has not been wanting to eat.... actually I have not seen him eat the whole time I have had him. I have noticed that the female is getting larger and have tried to isolate him for feeding, but with no luck.

Feeding is the least of my worries tho, because up till now he was still at a normal weight and about 5 days ago I became worried and noticed red spots on his lower back area (mostly around his groin, on his underside). And then a few days after that noticed that during his sleeping in the day on the glass that the fluid (dripping off of him) had a red tint just like blood. I took a swab of the area and indeed I do believe it was a bloody discharge.

The cage setup is a 12x12x18 Terrarium with frog moss bedding, broken down very fine a standard water dish and some vegetation bought at a PetSupermarket, oh and a fake branch.

See the posted photo below and please inform me as to what this maybe. Red leg is my worst thought and he will be taken to the vet 1st thing tomorrow because he has become extremely thin and lethargic pretty much overnight, but the redness has been for a few days.

The female is fine and showing no problems, they have been isolated as of tonight.

Old 05-23-2009, 09:39 PM   #2
alfon76
Taking him to the Vet is probably your best bet. It could be a bacterial infection which hopefully can be controlled with antibiotics. I have used Gentocin eye drops on sores on RET's before and it has worked great but your Vet will be able to help you decide what the course of action should be.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!