Mite control - Page 2 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Veterinarian Practice & General Health Issues

Notices

Veterinarian Practice & General Health Issues Anything to do with veterinarians, health issues, pathogens, hygiene, or sanitation.

Old 04-07-2003, 06:18 PM   #11
E2MacPets
Any suggestions for mite control in feeder rat/mouse colonies?

I'm looking to purchase some mice to breed, and my worst fear is introducing mites and illness into my leo colonies...

Old 04-08-2003, 09:34 AM   #12
Sherry Howell
You can use provent-a-mite. Spray some on cotton balls and let them dry then drop them in the rodent cages. They will use the cotton balls to make a nest. If you have any mites in your rodents, this will safely get rid of them and also prevent any mites in the future. These cotton balls treated with provent-a-mite will be good for 30 days....as you clean the cages, remove the cotton balls and then drop them back in. They get nasty looking but will still work. This was told to me by Bob Pounds when I asked him that very question.

Sherry Howell

Old 06-07-2005, 09:37 AM   #13
vferra7777
Are the mites that infect rodents able to infect reptiles?

My vet has ssaid that mites are VERY specific in the host they choose. Reptile mites, rodent mites human mites etc. Anyone know for sure? If so please e-mail us. Thank you.E-Mail

Old 06-07-2005, 10:24 AM   #14
DAND
Quote:
Originally Posted by vferra7777
My vet has ssaid that mites are VERY specific in the host they choose. Reptile mites, rodent mites human mites etc. Anyone know for sure? If so please e-mail us. Thank you.E-Mail
They may not be feeding but reptile mites can hitch a ride on rodents. Many years ago I saw mites between the toes of some feeder rodents I got from a pet store. I contacted the pet shop and they told me they wouldn't affect the reptiles. Horse pucky! It was largely due to that incident that I started breeding my own rodents.

Old 09-02-2005, 07:03 AM   #15
bluefin
Mites

Mites (the root cause of Scabies) and Lice are common skin parasites passed through contact with an infected person, bedding and clothing.

Mites are extremely small, wingless insects that burrow into the skin, lay eggs and cause intense itching, particularly at night. A very small zigzag blister usually shows where the mite has laid its eggs. The most common location for scabies are on the fingers, on the backs of your hands, on wrists, heels, elbows, armpits, inner thighs, under the breasts, and around the waist.

Treatment for mites / scabies consists of taking regular showers, then applying over-the-counter 5% permithrin medicated lotion to your whole body, except your head and neck. (DO NOT use scabies medicine containing lindane. It's poisonous.) Don't wash off the lotion for 8 to 12 hours. sometimes it takes 48 hours for the medicine to be effective. Frequently it takes two treatments to get rid of the Scabies mites. Because Scabies are sensitive to heat, you also can try taking a sauna. To avoid re-infection, wash the bedding and clothing of everyone in your family, or where you live, with borax, dry on the hot cycle, sterilize and iron. Vacuum your mattress as well.

Old 09-02-2005, 08:10 AM   #16
DAND
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluefin
Mites (the root cause of Scabies) and Lice are common skin parasites passed through contact with an infected person, bedding and clothing.

Mites are extremely small, wingless insects that burrow into the skin, lay eggs and cause intense itching, particularly at night. A very small zigzag blister usually shows where the mite has laid its eggs. The most common location for scabies are on the fingers, on the backs of your hands, on wrists, heels, elbows, armpits, inner thighs, under the breasts, and around the waist.

Treatment for mites / scabies consists of taking regular showers, then applying over-the-counter 5% permithrin medicated lotion to your whole body, except your head and neck. (DO NOT use scabies medicine containing lindane. It's poisonous.) Don't wash off the lotion for 8 to 12 hours. sometimes it takes 48 hours for the medicine to be effective. Frequently it takes two treatments to get rid of the Scabies mites. Because Scabies are sensitive to heat, you also can try taking a sauna. To avoid re-infection, wash the bedding and clothing of everyone in your family, or where you live, with borax, dry on the hot cycle, sterilize and iron. Vacuum your mattress as well.
Gee that was helpful.

Now do you have any information on reptile mites since that was the original subject?

Old 09-16-2005, 11:31 PM   #17
coyote
Anybody try mega-mites.com?

www.mega-mites.com
Found in Reptile Magazine. Supposed to be a mite that is predatory on other mites. Sounds like a good idea. But, is it for real?

Old 09-16-2005, 11:54 PM   #18
Clay Davenport
Quote:
Originally Posted by coyote
www.mega-mites.com
Found in Reptile Magazine. Supposed to be a mite that is predatory on other mites. Sounds like a good idea. But, is it for real?
Real or not I wouldn't be using that method. I just don't see the point in releasing one critter into a collection in attempt to control another. Regardless of what they feed on they're still pests, and I don't want any foriegn organisms crawling around my snake cages.

Old 09-17-2005, 12:32 AM   #19
bluefin
Mite Control

Old 09-17-2005, 03:48 AM   #20
DAND
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluefin
How about you follow the subject of reptile mites?

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!