Mite control - Page 3 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Veterinarian Practice & General Health Issues

Notices

Veterinarian Practice & General Health Issues Anything to do with veterinarians, health issues, pathogens, hygiene, or sanitation.

Old 01-09-2006, 06:23 PM   #21
GuinnyOne
Bump

Just wanted to ask another question as it seems that the provent-a-mite is the way to go. Is it safe to use on hatchling snakes? I just found a few mites on a hatchling cornsnake...so now I will be treating my entire collection of hatchlings. My adult snakes are in a totally seperate area of the house, I will check them over again, but I don't think they are infected.

I was toying with the idea of predatory mites, but...eh...

Please let me know so that I can get to work on this immediately. Thanks a bunch.

Old 01-09-2006, 06:26 PM   #22
Suncoast Herpetological
As long as it is used EXACTLTY as directed, it is very safe

Old 01-09-2006, 06:36 PM   #23
GuinnyOne
awesome, I just ordered some from the bean farm (they had a UTH size that I was looking for too...just decided to make one order).

Are there any comments on the Nature's Relief (I think???) the DeFlea stuff for use directly on the babies?

Now all my babies are on paper towels in a rack, I just changed all the paper and cleaned out the tubs today...is there anything I can use in the meantime to start getting mites off. (I only noticed them on one snake out of 20).

Old 01-10-2006, 09:59 PM   #24
Junkyard
Are you thinking of Reptile Relief by Natural Chemistry?

I love this stuff, I used the Reptile Relief, I think it works great. To use is so easy, just spray down a paper towel and wipe down the snake. It is an instant killer of mites, but is safe for the snakes. Three to 4 days later, wipe down the snakes again and that is it, treatment is done. I have even sprayed this directly on the snakes back and a paper towel to get everything. Look at the paper towel when you are done, you will be surprised at the amount of mites it takes off of the snake. I will even spray down the cages when I clean, just because. I had one infestation, since than I take no chances.

I also use the Healthy Habitat to clean out and disinfect the cages. The stuff works great, also it is safe on reptiles, if you were to spot clean a cage with a snake in it. I just use it to clean cages while I have the snakes in their feeding tubs.

For immediate removal, soak the babies in warm water with a drop of soap in the water. This is what I do; I use deli cups and just enough water to reach the back of the snake, I put on the lid and carefully keep an eye on them. I have read that some soak from short periods of times like 20-30 minutes up to about 8 hours. Though I have seen 30 minutes work just fine.

Old 01-10-2006, 11:12 PM   #25
GuinnyOne
That's it. Just brain fried when I was thinking of it. Yes, I bought some Reptile Relief today and worked on the 3 that I noticed it on. Hopefully I'll get my Provent-A-Mite this week. I'll just treat the cages with the provent a mite. I noticed that when I used the reptile relief, it did not kill the mites that were under the scales on the snakes. Maybe I'm not doing it right. I'll keep working on it though. I figure if I use the PAM in the cages that I see no signs of mites in, it will still be a good preventative.

Old 01-11-2006, 01:09 PM   #26
Junkyard
Yeah, under the scales take a little more work, being that the mites have their heads under the skin. Sometimes it takes a few wipe downs to get them all, but as soon as they emerge and hit the stuff it takes them out. I have even used it on spiders, flies, fleas, ants. Fun stuff to use when bored.

Old 01-11-2006, 01:12 PM   #27
GuinnyOne
I'll try your suggestion on soaking today....oye, what a mess. Add it to the list of all things going wrong all at once!!! But the cat-bite snake is fine LOLOL. ugh. Kelly

Old 01-15-2006, 08:35 PM   #28
mrwenninger
A reply to a previous question regarding host specificity of mites:
Lice are very host specific. Mites can be host specific but can be zoonotic as well (i.e. scabies (sarcoptes), walking dandruff (cheyletiella). Reptile mites do not infest people but will occasionally bite and cause itching.
Michael

Old 11-20-2006, 06:15 PM   #29
dawagner
I just got PAM and treated my tanks, my carpet has a ton of mites under the scales on the bottom of her head and i think in her eye sockets (due to having puffy eye sockets), will this treatment get rid of these mites on her. Also I use paper towel substrate, is it safe to mist as usual to keep the humidity up after the tank has been treated(once the pam has dried) or could this some how make it so the chemical can be absorbed by the snake and cause harm?

Old 11-21-2006, 08:43 AM   #30
Sherry Howell
I wouldn't mist the cage right now for at least a few days to give the PAM time to work. You may also try spraying PAM on a cloth, allowing it to air and dry for a few minutes and rub your snake down. That will help kill off the mites even quicker. Just please don't spray the snake.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!