entamoeba STAR TORTOISE mediciation - Page 2 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Veterinarian Practice & General Health Issues

Notices

Veterinarian Practice & General Health Issues Anything to do with veterinarians, health issues, pathogens, hygiene, or sanitation.

Old 01-07-2009, 07:09 AM   #11
alfon76
That's good news for sure. I am not aware of any pro-biotics out there specific to species, any species of reptile for that matter. The method of mixing a healthy animal's feces with food is actually quiet common and a good idea as it would be the best way to get a "specific" type of microoganism in the tortoise. But in general I would imagine any pro-biotic will do as the ones that can survive will become established and the ones not needed will die off.

My advise would be to test the male's fecal anyway to make sure all is ok with him before mixing his feces with the food. Also, I would still do a fecal culture if you can afford it mainly because it will help you confirm the fact the tortoise is clean right now. Thus having a baseline record/level where to go from if the problem ever comes back again.

Good luck with her and hopefully she will continue her recovery.

Old 01-09-2009, 12:55 AM   #12
HyderHouseHerps
I'm a lvmt and work with reptiles every day. Entomoeba is really hard to get rid of so don't expect it to "clear" even if the fecals are "negative". No fecal test can be absolutely negative. They can still be lurking, just not shedding. I also would not assume it was imported just because it has parasites. Believe it or not, many CB animals are still carrying them and chelonians are notrious for carrying things, especially amoebas. That doesn't mean there's a problem or that they'll ever get sick, but entomoeba specifically can be serious if that's one they are carrying. We are usually very aggressive about it because we had some sailfin dragons wiped out last year and suspected a couple of snakes based on the histopath report so almost every snake who has bloody stool gets metronidazole for 5 days, at least 2 treatments but depends on how effective it was. And guess where the source came from? Some turtles that were in a "multi species" exhibit....
I find baby food (veg. or fruit) good to mix with metronidazole and fenbendazole (panacur) and mine get fecals at least 2x a year. It's always a good idea to check routinely.
I haven't studied up on star tort diets, but you may want to try some other kinds of greens high in vitamins like dandelion, collards, I would stay AWAY from the corn, and maybe even some of the other veggies you're feeding. Corn has a negative Ca:P (calcium to phosphorous) ratio and in my mind isn't even worth feeding it. I pick it out of my mixed veg.
Sorry to ramble! I'm just totally in the entomoeba rut at work right now so I feel your pain. As far as that newer drug, we haven't tried it yet so I may mention that to my docs, but coccidian organisms and amoebas are not always treated with the same meds. Sometimes it is more specific.
Good luck and stay on top of it!

Old 01-09-2009, 01:04 AM   #13
HyderHouseHerps
Hey have you guys tried giving him some fluids too? That's another thing we do a lot with emaciated and parasitized reptiles.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Tags
entamoeba, star tortoise