40 Dead Snakes Found In Greensboro Home, Man Charged - Page 4 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Herps In The News

Notices

Herps In The News Local or national articles where reptiles or amphibians have made it into the news media. Please cite sources.

Old 03-02-2011, 08:53 PM   #31
AcidRainbow
It actually says this "Rahenkamp said she believes the animals either froze to death or starved. Animal control is also trying to determine the type of snakes found." in the description, again, validating the power outage idea. God knows balls wouldn't have died inside of a few months w/o food and the specimens we saw didn't look skinny.

Old 03-02-2011, 08:58 PM   #32
garweft
Quote:
Originally Posted by AcidRainbow View Post
An accident isn't necessarily neglect. The scenario I gave you was plausible.
I'll use your logic here...And your assuming it was an accident. Like you said we don't know what happened that caused their death, so until you can show me evidence it was an accident then it wasn't an accident cause if it's not it isn't but if it is it still isn't cause until you can prove what didn't happen you can't really say what did.

I do know for a fact he left a bunch of dead animals for someone else to clean up which is wrong, disrespectful, and in most states falls under animal cruelty.

Old 03-02-2011, 08:59 PM   #33
AcidRainbow
Quote:
Originally Posted by scaledverts View Post
WHAT?

That's actually how the scientific method works! They failed to support that cooling is effective. Pretty much standard operating procedure for science. They set out to see if cooling is an effective method for euthanasia and it isn't!

Those who WANT to use freezing as a method will always find ways to justify it.
What it is saying basically, is that there's a lack of evidence to prove it's effective, therefore there's no evidence that it isn't otherwise they'd have proven it was ineffective/inhumane. They're not recommending it because they can't prove it's humane. I'm not sure how it's possible to prove something's not effective but not prove that it's ineffective either....

Old 03-02-2011, 09:03 PM   #34
AcidRainbow
Quote:
Originally Posted by garweft View Post
I'll use your logic here...And your assuming it was an accident. Like you said we don't know what happened that caused their death, so until you can show me evidence it was an accident then it wasn't an accident cause if it's not it isn't but if it is it still isn't cause until you can prove what didn't happen you can't really say what did.

I do know for a fact he left a bunch of dead animals for someone else to clean up which is wrong, disrespectful, and in most states falls under animal cruelty.
That's the idea.

I'm just trying to assert that there isn't enough information to prove that he's guilty of animal cruelty and that there could be other plausible explanations that don't involve animal cruelty. But the way he left the dead animals definately was very strange and distasteful.

Old 03-02-2011, 09:05 PM   #35
scaledverts
Quote:
What it is saying basically, is that there's a lack of evidence to prove it's effective, therefore there's no evidence that it isn't otherwise they'd have proven it was ineffective/inhumane. They're not recommending it because they can't prove it's humane. I'm not sure how it's possible to prove something's not effective but not prove that it's ineffective either....
Again, that's not how the scientific method works. You don't "PROVE" anything. You either support or do not support. They did not support cooling as an effective euthanasia method. Meaning it is not an effective euthanasia method. That's really all there is. Also you clearly did not look at the other sources or do you own research.

Old 03-02-2011, 09:10 PM   #36
herp_huggs
"The animals were all found in plastic crates, decomposed to the point there were only bones, said Tiffany Rahenkamp, Walton's former landlord. The rats were believed to be used as food for the snakes, Rahenkamp said."

Bones.... any body know the average decomp time on a ball?

"Walton had just moved out of the home on Thursday and left many other things behind, including TVs, clothing and even food. Rahenkamp said there was also a strong stench when she first walked in."

I understand this to mean that he had moved within a week or else they would have said "on the 13th" or "in November" or something specific instead of "on Thursday"
Quote:
Where was that stated?

Old 03-02-2011, 09:17 PM   #37
AcidRainbow
Quote:
Originally Posted by herp_huggs View Post
"The animals were all found in plastic crates, decomposed to the point there were only bones, said Tiffany Rahenkamp, Walton's former landlord. The rats were believed to be used as food for the snakes, Rahenkamp said."

Bones.... any body know the average decomp time on a ball?

"Walton had just moved out of the home on Thursday and left many other things behind, including TVs, clothing and even food. Rahenkamp said there was also a strong stench when she first walked in."

I understand this to mean that he had moved within a week or else they would have said "on the 13th" or "in November" or something specific instead of "on Thursday"
Not sure why she said that, but was obviously exaggerating, you can see a picture of a bucket of the snakes in the video actually. They definately aren't that far gone.

Old 03-02-2011, 09:23 PM   #38
AcidRainbow
Quote:
Originally Posted by scaledverts View Post
Again, that's not how the scientific method works. You don't "PROVE" anything. You either support or do not support. They did not support cooling as an effective euthanasia method. Meaning it is not an effective euthanasia method. That's really all there is. Also you clearly did not look at the other sources or do you own research.
Okay then. Show me the science, not just a sheet saying it's uneffective. Sorry if it's in the AVMA link, I haven't gotten the chance to go through all of that yet.

Old 03-02-2011, 09:28 PM   #39
herp_huggs
Quote:
Not sure why she said that, but was obviously exaggerating, you can see a picture of a bucket of the snakes in the video actually. They definately aren't that far gone.
I only saw one pic of snakes so maybe the rest were too "graphic"...? Of course, I'm speculating, but I seriously doubt they only took one picture... she also mentioned that they "appeared to have been dead a while" which to me seems like more than a couple days. (now obviously, this woman is no snake expert... "no garden snakes"... lol)

Old 03-02-2011, 09:31 PM   #40
scaledverts
Go through the AVMA link, you will not find freezing as an approved method of euthanasia. Also Mader's Reptile Medicine and Surgery can be found online.

Mader, D.R. (1996). Euthanasia and necropsy. In: D.R. Mader (Editor), Reptile Medicine and Surgery, W.B. Saunders Company: Philadelphia, p. 277-281.

There are also other refs that you can find if you look for a bit. Some of the refs in Mader (1996) are a good start.

I would start a new thread in another forum if you would like to keep talking about euthanasia.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!