60 venomous snakes found in Hendersonville NC mobile home - Page 2 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Herps In The News

Notices

Herps In The News Local or national articles where reptiles or amphibians have made it into the news media. Please cite sources.

Old 08-11-2011, 12:34 PM   #11
dzoo
Quote:
Nearly 100 frozen dead reptiles were recovered by state and local authorities at the mobile home in eastern Henderson County last week where 60 snakes and lizards were seized, a report released Wednesday shows.

Depending what species he was keeping its possible that some of these frozen reptiles could have been food for some of the other snakes, I know some cobras have a prefernce for snakes and some keepers will buy quantities of cheap snakes, racers, balls, corns etc. as feeders.

Quote:
well we shouldn't be laughing. this is just going to affect our community in a negative way.
I agree, to a point. Having venomous easily available is good and bad. I have seen way too many people do stupid things with venomous. Keeping them in apartments where neighbors are at risk from escapes, keeping them where kids can access, or like this guy in a setting where close neighbors could be in jeopardy, anyone who keeps snakes knows how easily they can escape, I had a baby albino milk snake escape- get out of my house, cross a busy street and end up in the kitchen of a house 3 doors down - 6 months later! Unless he took extraordinary measures to modify this mobile home to make it absolutely tightly sealed, clutter free, with a double door system, warning signs, neighbors notified etc. he was not being a responsible keeper. I had a landlord ask me to remove reptiles left behind by a tenant - one was a Pope's Viper, in an unmarked tank, the guy could have just as easily given it to a neighborhood kid as a pet! If you want to keep venomous and risk your own safety that is fine but don't jeopardize the safety of your neighbors, first responders, or others in your household.

Old 08-11-2011, 06:04 PM   #12
Wolfy-hound
We don't know that he didn't have these reptiles properly set up also. After all NONE of his neighbors had a clue he had these animals so that says he kept them properly contained and wasn't flaunting his reptiles about the neighborhood.

The frozen snakes were most likely feeders, but the media doesn't care even if they were told.

It's all about alarmist reporting to make things look as dangerous as possible, and screw the facts.

Old 08-13-2011, 10:22 PM   #13
dzoo
LIST

Complete list of everything found in the trailer (you have to select ven or non-ven where it says "lethality")

http://www.blueridgenow.com/article/...t-25-Doe-Trail

Old 08-14-2011, 12:10 AM   #14
reptile-phan
why so many frozen? even some frozen venomous.

Old 08-14-2011, 03:44 AM   #15
pythonjim
Quote:
Originally Posted by reptile-phan View Post
why so many frozen? even some frozen venomous.
From what I read, it was more than a few frozen venomous...
If at first you cant keep 1 alive, try try again
Frozen Gila's as well..... were those recently added to a monocled cobra's diet???????????

Jim MacDonald aka pythonjim

Old 08-14-2011, 05:51 AM   #16
ThomasHicks
You really have to wonder what conditions this guy was keeping his animals in, why so many frozen snakes? He had more frozen animals than he did live animals.

I could understand some of the colubrids being feeders, but a Mangshan's viper? Now that's a pretty darn expensive feeder snake.

Nice to see that they interviewed the friendly neighborhood meth head though! It sure is obvious sometimes that they intentionally pick the dumbest person they can possibly find to apply their intended sensationalistic slant to the story.

Old 08-14-2011, 09:38 AM   #17
reptile-phan
Well cant wait to see this story on Animal Planet... I wonder what show their going to use it on?

Old 08-14-2011, 11:52 PM   #18
MacGaboon
^^^^^^^ Gary Busey maybe???

Old 08-14-2011, 11:53 PM   #19
MacGaboon
Lol....wow talk about auto correct.......Fatal attraction maybe?

Old 08-15-2011, 12:31 AM   #20
reptile-phan
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacGaboon View Post
Lol....wow talk about auto correct.......Fatal attraction maybe?
more and likely!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!