Man feeds kitten to burmese python in UK - Page 4 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Herps In The News

Notices

Herps In The News Local or national articles where reptiles or amphibians have made it into the news media. Please cite sources.

Old 12-09-2011, 12:44 AM   #31
Mike Schultz
Quote:
Originally Posted by JColt View Post
To do that to a domesticated, trusting and loving pet shows a careless punk who needs to be treated in the same manner.
rats, guinea pigs, and rabbits are domesticated, trusting, and loving

Ironically enough, I have been treated in the same manner for being such a careless punk... I've been constricted by lots of snakes while feeding out rats usually little snakes at least hehe.

Old 12-09-2011, 08:35 AM   #32
JColt
Mike, No one that I know of raises cats as feeder food. I have never fed a rabbit, gp , mouse or rat that I made a pet out of either. Not only do such actions devastate reptile keepers ability to have such animals, It also shows a lack of empathy towards pets in general. Just like you don't need to feed your cat or dog live animals.

Old 12-09-2011, 09:26 AM   #33
Mike Schultz
My cat hunts live animals all the time actually... I'm not saying that feeding live cats to snakes and putting it on youtube is a healthy practice for the hobby in general, but everybody saying it is some kind of outrageous immoral act to feed one live prey animal over another is kind of being a hypocrite.

Just because it's cute doesn't make it any different...

Old 12-09-2011, 09:54 AM   #34
JColt
That is why you should keep cat indoors. It's not hypocrisy. Cat's have been domesticated for over 9,000 years. Mice, rats, rabbits and guinea pigs have always been lab and food animals. There is absolutely no reason to feed a cat to a snake or any other animal other than to show your an uncaring moron who needs his rear end beat. Period.

Old 12-09-2011, 10:55 AM   #35
Mike Schultz
So what would you do if you ran into a native korean who has eaten cat or dog meat?

Old 12-09-2011, 11:03 AM   #36
Focal
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Schultz View Post
So what would you do if you ran into a native korean who has eaten cat or dog meat?
Nothing because they ate animals that were purposefully bred for food, not as a pet.

Old 12-09-2011, 11:32 AM   #37
JColt
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Schultz View Post
I have. Most Koreans under 50 have not engaged in that btw. That was common years ago and now frowned upon by the majority of Koreans. Even when common they did not eat pets, rather buying from a market. Old time Korea cannot be compared with modern US and UK anyway or 3rd world countries. Also a starving human is much different than a captive reptile.

Old 12-09-2011, 11:54 AM   #38
BigBoyzBoids
what it all comes down to though if you go door to door and look guarantee 90% of he homes have some little fuzzball cat that lives either in or outdoors or they have previously owned and like cats. when stuff like this happens and it goes up infront of a judge or any type of law not just for this guys sentencing but a ban. a lot of the voters on this will probably own or have owned a cute little cat and be offened that an animal they know absolutely nothing except its legless, eats animals, and isnt from this area will considering them dangerous and mean due to this video. This guy is a disgrace to our community let alone general society for doing that and posting the video. he obviously does not care about his python or he wouldnt have posted the video to give exotics a bad name and even more reason to be banned. This will definitely cause another big battle in our hobby

Old 12-09-2011, 01:15 PM   #39
Mike Schultz
Quote:
Originally Posted by JColt View Post
I have. Most Koreans under 50 have not engaged in that btw. That was common years ago and now frowned upon by the majority of Koreans. Even when common they did not eat pets, rather buying from a market. Old time Korea cannot be compared with modern US and UK anyway or 3rd world countries. Also a starving human is much different than a captive reptile.
I know, I know a few of my friends' parents who have...

Many of the rats being fed o snakes came from the same breeders who supply pet stores with their rats

The only reason there is a difference between the two is because of your own opinions and the stigma placed on "pet" animals by society..

Old 12-09-2011, 01:19 PM   #40
FosterHerpetological
To anyone saying feeding rats is different then feeding cats

http://www.livescience.com/17378-rats-show-empathy.html

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!