Bad Guy Joe Schmidt/Chad Fuchs and Cryptosporidium! - Page 3 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > Board of Inquiry®

Notices

Board of Inquiry® This forum is provided exclusively for the discussion of specific persons or businesses in the herp industry.

Old 01-03-2019, 06:41 PM   #21
Justin Mitcham
tip of the iceberg

why??

well for one they are hiding in there own forum on FB talking about this ..there they can ban and censor what is said. Like you seen recently FB cliques have become little bubble universes where people can exist without criticism ..a safe space!!

Second, because its just the tip of the iceberg, I'm not going to speak for anyone but I can say there are people who could contribute to this thread from US-Europe-Asia. I have heard from several customers and friends that Crypto has recently become an epidemic in the hognose community. I can assure you I dont have it. Recently a customer who had a bad experience with another breeder (not mentioned here) tested some animals that I sent him and they came back clean!

Old 01-03-2019, 07:14 PM   #22
bcr229
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin Mitcham View Post
...there are people who could contribute to this thread from US-Europe-Asia. I have heard from several customers and friends that Crypto has recently become an epidemic in the hognose community.
So encourage these people to sign up and post.

Old 01-03-2019, 07:43 PM   #23
Justin Mitcham
lol

to come out and say they have crypto??
That will be tough! I applaud any that do. Unfortunately many breeders are not as brave as Karin!That is why I think this is remarkable. She has accepted her part , she lost much of her collection and is going through this trying to learn from her mistakes. It would be much easier for her to keep her mouth shut and try to move on. Instead she is doing the right thing and letting the community know whats going on. I wish we had more people like this.

Old 01-03-2019, 08:50 PM   #24
charleshanklin
Quote:
why??

well for one they are hiding in there own forum on FB talking about this ..there they can ban and censor what is said. Like you seen recently FB cliques have become little bubble universes where people can exist without criticism ..a safe space!!

Second, because its just the tip of the iceberg, I'm not going to speak for anyone but I can say there are people who could contribute to this thread from US-Europe-Asia. I have heard from several customers and friends that Crypto has recently become an epidemic in the hognose community. I can assure you I dont have it. Recently a customer who had a bad experience with another breeder (not mentioned here) tested some animals that I sent him and they came back clean!

Hopefully they come forward and out whoever is spreading it.

Old 01-03-2019, 10:28 PM   #25
tlmoon
Karin, thanks for posting and bringing this to light. Sorry to hear about the crypto and the issues you've had.

Old 01-04-2019, 12:46 AM   #26
EdwardK
Quote:
The following is a point of fact and isn't intended to discuss cryptosporidium infections in a wider context in this thread but simply to provide context to readers who may not have a good grasp of it at this time. I won't address it further here.

Cryptosporidium infections have historically not been considered to be uncommon as infected animals can be asymptomatic for years while occasionally shedding oocysts which remain infective for long periods of time and are resistant to most common disinfectants, and are easy to spread within the collection.

The historical usage of fecals to catch infections and the intermittent shedding of oocysts in infected but asymptomatic animals means that it can go undetected in a collection for years as fecal checks of every fecal event are not cost effective for hobbyists or even institutions like zoos outside of exceptional circumstances and many hobbyists do not routinely have necropsies performed on deceased specimens (histopathology is often required for subclinical infections). part of the problem with fecals, is the perception that a negative fecal(s) mean an uninfected animal, all a negative fecal tells you is that nothing was detected at that time.

If PCR becomes widely used by the hobbyists (there are several companies such as http://www.vetdna.com/ (RAL, (972) 960-2221
(972) 960-1997
411 East McDermott Drive Ste B. Allen, Texas 75002), then the extent of the prevalence of the disease will become more apparent. In the meantime, to call it the tip of the iceberg is inexact as the prevalence has historically been considered to be widespread. See for example,
Xiao, L., Ryan, U. M., Graczyk, T. K., Limor, J., Li, L., Kombert, M., ... & Koudela, B. (2004). Genetic diversity of Cryptosporidium spp. in captive reptiles. Applied and Environmental Microbiology, 70(2), 891-899.
currently free access https://aem.asm.org/content/aem/70/2/891.full.pdf

Pasmans, Frank, et al. "Introducing reptiles into a captive collection: the role of the veterinarian." The Veterinary Journal 175.1 (2008): 53-68.

currently free access https://ddd.uab.cat/pub/estudis/1990...eusmorera2.pdf

The above is a point of fact and isn't intended to discuss cryptosporidium infections in a wider context but simply to provide context to readers who may not have a good grasp of it at this time.

some comments

Ed

Old 01-04-2019, 01:09 AM   #27
DrChad
If anyone is interested, my lab, Research Associates Laboratory, performs qPCR diagnostics for over 600 parasites and animal diseases including cryptosporidium. TVMD, as do many other universities worldwide, sends us diagnostic specimens for PCR testing. We do accept individual work as well. I’d be happy to answer any and all questions about testing, diagnostics, cryptosporidium etc.

Old 01-04-2019, 09:46 AM   #28
Justin Mitcham
to Ed

Ed ..so what I said is that a lot of people have this today..Many are going through what Karin is, thats a fact. You said to the effect that's not exact because everyone has it.. huh?? Thank you for making the distinction, more clear? Do you understand what "tip of the Iceberg means" it means more than what you can see... right.. isnt what you said basically the samthing.. that it is widespread and more prevalent than what you see???

You cite a zoo genetic diversity study to show prevalence in Captive collections?
Have you read the report and its controls of this study.. all it shows is that its widespead in the St. Louis and other zoos, it doesnt list where all the animals comes from except countries.. were they supplied by a wholesaler..or private breeders.. under what conditions and why?? Have you been to a zoo ? I have many many times , in fact I helped the Sedgwick zoo figure out there hognose issues..why we have Lucys today. I can tell you my place is much much cleaner.
I have been breeding hognose for almost 2 decades now. Sold thousands of animals over the years and talked with hundreds of breeders something I dont think you have done. People come to me for help and advice. Can you explain one thing.. why havnt we seen an out break like this in the hognose industry before? Not saying it hasn't happened before.
If it is so prevalent why have so many long term hobbyist and breeders lost there collections in such a short time recently as opposed to gradually. Has something changed? I know of a dozen people with this currently. Testing for crypto has been around for sometime and if your spending 10's of thousands of dollars on hogs then paying for this service is well within many breeders reach.

Has any studies been species specific.. seems hognose were not used in the DNA study you mentioned. To say that all snakes share the same biology,care, food isnt accurate. To say that all snakes are just as common isnt as well, cornsnakes , kinsgsnakes,ball pythons have been farmed for decades and are much more prevalent , hognose snakes have not been, at least not on a large scale. I would say only a couple handful of successful breeders supply what you see today.

Read the conclusion??
8. Conclusion
Our knowledge concerning reptile and amphibian diseases has improved greatly over the last two decades. Preventing the introduction of known pathogenic agents
should allow the establishment of healthy breeding groups
in captivity. However, some main difficulties will have to be
overcome in the future: (1) the lack of good diagnostic
screening methods (e.g. for IBD); (2) the scarcity of clinical
laboratories in which the correct diagnostic tests can be
performed; (3)the lack of knowledge about the normal
microbiota of most reptilian taxa and (4) the complete lack
of vaccines.

and
. In addition to the premature death of infected animals, one problem with the control measure is the
frequent presence of oocysts of C. muris and the C. parvum
mouse genotype in snakes because of the use of feeder mice as
part of the diet. Because it is difficult to differentiate oocysts
of the pathogenic C. serpentis from those of nonpathogenic
Cryptosporidium spp. that merely pass through the gastrointestinal tract, the diagnosis-euthanasia control strategy would
lead to the killing of uninfected animals.

My take.. still the same.. whats going on now is probably just the tip of the iceberg. We have no ideal until a real study is done.

Old 01-04-2019, 11:13 AM   #29
DrChad
In fact there are laboratories that differentiate c.serpentis from c.parvum. We perform this testing for zoos, breeders etc on a daily basis. Having performed thousands of these PCR tests, it’s completely reasonable to believe that outbreaks from the transfer of infected animals happen regularly between zoos. It would not be much of a reach to assume that infection of breeder animals occurs rather frequently. Only recently has there been a significant increase in testing of reptiles for crypto, IBD, Nidovirus. Hopefully this trend continues.

Old 01-04-2019, 11:46 AM   #30
Justin Mitcham
another point

also I would like to point out that many breeders still feed WC frogs and lizards, frog scenting etc.. this is hugely problematic. Until breeders stop using WC then it will be difficult to prevent. Most dont even tell their customers, most dont even do a fecal afterwards.

My routine..which Im sure can be improved.
Isolate all animals until breeding age as much as possible. I simply do not let animals use the same anything.

I have a small cb barking tree frog colony for the ones that just wont take unscented

95% of the time I use canned scents like salmon, tuna , and vienna sausage.

use disposable water bowls

keep records of who what when where and why

have a strong UVB wand or source

I prewash then rewash everything with dawn and chlorohexidine in high heat.. Im anal.
I have a old school dish washer that gets 160F+ and heat dries. It will melt many plastics on this setting. Most reptile brand delicups cant take it so I use a restaurant supply store near my home and buy the expensive "solo brand" ones that take high heat and lids dont break after the 30th tug.

All babies are kept in food grade delicups that can go through the washer on this setting.

I use pyrethrin strips if I see gnats and use routinely to control dust mites.. I have a slight allergy to dust mites so I personally like my room cleaner.

I also have hydrogen peroxide,bleach ,chloro and ammonia if I feel it is needed.

We use laytex gloves

We dont clean when we feed or water

Always clean the tops, some forget that part

Use a large industrial carbon filter for air quality

Always use 4-5 stage RO for clean water

Since I live in Texas Ill prewash with a hose and set in direct sun in the 90-105F heat for a few hours, then do the above.

We keep multiple fans in the room for high ventilation and allow for quick drying of feces..gives gnats hell and helps achieve my no condensation rule.

Never ever top off waterbowls.

Always thaw in hot water, cleaner the food the better.

Daily cleaning is key to prevent gnats and to keep hognose cages clean. We call it spot cleaning. Takes no time!!

I am sure a lot can be added to this..

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!