Boy Kills Giant Turtle - Page 4 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Herps In The News

Notices

Herps In The News Local or national articles where reptiles or amphibians have made it into the news media. Please cite sources.

Old 07-02-2006, 10:11 AM   #31
homegrownherps
[quote=kmurphy]In Maine, at least, there are no truely "wild" animals that are hunted or trapped. Deer, moose, beer and all the others are managed just like cattle. Cows are in the fields and the others are in the woods. If it is difficult winter, and the population suffered, they shorten the season. If the population increases they do the opposite. Like Homegrownherps I love seeing these animals in the wild. Just last weekend at camp we saw a bald eagle, beer, 3 deer, moose and plenty of smaller animals. Oh, and 5 wood turtles, one pair copulating. It was great to see them all.
QUOTE]

There are still wild animals here - I hope it stays that way. BUT there are many who hunt here as well...so it wont be long.

Since we moved here about 2 years ago, we have had Wild Turkey, Deer, Fox, pass to thru or yard. not to mention all the regular smaller animals and reptiles. If I shoot them today , I wont be seeing them again.

Here in Florida they issue a few licences every year to poach ---I mean hunt gators.
They say if they don't they will "over popululate", but if they stop destroying the gators land it wont seem like they are over populated. every year they destroy more land and ALL they animals just get pushed together. so it seems like their over populating.

So when people start seeing more wildlife in their front yard, its not because theres more of it , it because the animals were pushed out of there own habitat and are forced to survive out of our garbage cans. Then they are labeled as a nuisance and then destroyed.

I bet money that if the "snowbirds" quite feeding the gators when they come down here, there would be less gator attackes
Attached Images

Old 07-02-2006, 10:29 AM   #32
kmurphy
Quote:
I don't think I've ever seen wild beer...
I not that common for me either. It was an exceptional weekend for wildlife.

Old 07-02-2006, 10:40 AM   #33
homegrownherps
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmurphy
I not that common for me either. It was an exceptional weekend for wildlife.

usually travel in packs of 6 & 12 ....right

Old 07-02-2006, 10:46 AM   #34
kmurphy
Quote:
usually travel in packs of 6 & 12 ....right
I didn't notice that until you posted. I was trying to figure out what the hell you were talking about.

I hate not having the edit function.

Old 07-02-2006, 02:12 PM   #35
Griz
Quote:
Originally Posted by homegrownherps

I bet it's cheaper to BUY meat in the store - than to buy the ammo !
here's a challenge - hunt with a knife !

I live in the woods and would much rather see the wildlife alive than on my plate or hanging on the wall

AND some people in the south are simple minded.
Sorry Jim, but I for one do NOT respect your opinion on this. You want to cast dispersions towards those of us who hunt because you would rather see these animals in the their natural environment. YET, you have a house full of various exotic pets! Why is that Jim? It's fine for you to take these animals from their natural environment, place them in cages, for what? Your enjoyment and profit!

Yet, I am in the wrong because I take 6-8 deer per year to feed my family and several others. The deer I take are used exclusively for food, for decorations (yes, I have a rec room full of heads), and even warmth.

I cannot and will not respect someone's opinion when it is chocked full of hypocrisy. If you really want to take the tree hugger mentality then make sure that NOTHING you use is made from animals, tested on animals, are derived from the animal byproducts.

Land encroachment is going to happen no matter what we do. How many kids do you have Jim? If you even have one then you have thereby helped increase our population which leads to land encroachment. Oh that's right, this has nothing to do with you just everyone else.

I could stand here all day and show you the hypocrisy of your statements but I think you already know that your soapbox is made of cardboard at best. Good grief.....

Griz

PS The last buck I took I did it with a knife. No arrow, no rifle and no shotgun. Me against a raging hormonal buck that was ready to fight. I am still standing but he's in my freezer.

PSS Learn the definition of poaching.....

Old 07-02-2006, 02:55 PM   #36
hhmoore
Quote:
Originally Posted by ms_terese
I don't think I've ever seen wild beer...
Truly wild populations were all but wiped out generations ago...the only "wild" specimens you will find today are those lost by irresponsible keepers. Now, I'm not a big fan of beer, but it saddens me to see their carcasses strewn about the countryside. Every once in a while, I happen across one still intact...I have adopted a program of relocation, but I fear that they are no better off than if I had just left them where I found them. (has anybody seen/done any studies on this?)

Old 07-02-2006, 03:11 PM   #37
homegrownherps
Quote:
Originally Posted by Griz
Sorry Jim, but I for one do NOT respect your opinion on this. You want to cast dispersions towards those of us who hunt because you would rather see these animals in the their natural environment. YET, you have a house full of various exotic pets! Why is that Jim? It's fine for you to take these animals from their natural environment, place them in cages, for what? Your enjoyment and profit!

Yet, I am in the wrong because I take 6-8 deer per year to feed my family and several others. The deer I take are used exclusively for food, for decorations (yes, I have a rec room full of heads), and even warmth.

I cannot and will not respect someone's opinion when it is chocked full of hypocrisy. If you really want to take the tree hugger mentality then make sure that NOTHING you use is made from animals, tested on animals, are derived from the animal byproducts.

Land encroachment is going to happen no matter what we do. How many kids do you have Jim? If you even have one then you have thereby helped increase our population which leads to land encroachment. Oh that's right, this has nothing to do with you just everyone else.

I could stand here all day and show you the hypocrisy of your statements but I think you already know that your soapbox is made of cardboard at best. Good grief.....

Griz

PS The last buck I took I did it with a knife. No arrow, no rifle and no shotgun. Me against a raging hormonal buck that was ready to fight. I am still standing but he's in my freezer.

My whole stand in this is because of the SENSELESS HUNTING.
And for every reason you claim it has it is benifits, I can give you one why its not.

Do I care if you respect my opinion....NO .
And I feel the same about your opinion.

And maybe you better get your facts straight before you acuse me of something.
The reptiles I have in my care are STILL ALIVE, not on my plate, not in the freezer and not road kill on the side of the road. What I use them for is my business. The point is THEY ARE STILL ALIVE !
Besides the fact that none of them were taken from the wild.

Instead of killing them for food why don’t you get a job to support your family, maybe you should have thought out how you would support them BEFORE HAND. People capable of working should not have to kill anything to feed their families...stop using that for your excuse. Now-a days animals are bred specifically to be used for food. I bet if you sell just one your guns you can put food on the table for a month.

Quote:
Your getting a little off the subject here...but I am talking about people going out and killing things. Some things are farm raised for human use. I am no tree hugger, but senseless hunting is ridicules, does it make you feel like real men or something, to kill something that is totally defenseless against your rifle?

Quote:
your right , people are going to hunt no matter what I think about, but I am entitled the think what I wish. And speak about it where ever I wish.
I have 5 acres here in N. Florida. Only a small portion of it was cleared for my home the rest remains untouched.
And unless you want me to sarcastic ...save your sarcasm for someone else.
If you can’t have a discussion w/o being rude or sarcastic then don’t bother.

Quote:
This comment was made ....why ???

Old 07-02-2006, 03:17 PM   #38
ms_terese
There is a very real consequence of overpopulation if deer hunting is to cease. Since there are no longer any natural predators in most of the US for deer (i.e., wolves), their populations would indeed get out of hand. Nature's way of handling that would be to allow the starvation and disease to take them. Myself, I would prefer responsible hunting in order to cull the population.

Old 07-02-2006, 03:24 PM   #39
homegrownherps
Quote:
Originally Posted by ms_terese
There is a very real consequence of overpopulation if deer hunting is to cease. Since there are no longer any natural predators in most of the US for deer (i.e., wolves), their populations would indeed get out of hand. Nature's way of handling that would be to allow the starvation and disease to take them. Myself, I would prefer responsible hunting in order to cull the population.

I can agree on responsible hunting.
I would rather see a deer used to feed the needy rather than see them wasted away. But most ( not all of them....MOST ) hunters are not needy.

Old 07-02-2006, 03:31 PM   #40
Griz
Jim, do you really read what you write? You sit there coming down on people for taking animals from their natural habitat but you have a household full of them. Yup, that makes perfect sense..... You really need to open your ears as this whole forum is laughing at that statement.

Jim, maybe you should be the one to go out and get a better job so you can afford to support yourself without using animal byproducts. Oh that's right, there's a difference in the value of animals. Only certain animals have rights to you. They are not all created equal now are they? Once again you are a hypocrite. Only the animals that someone else shoots on your behalf is ok to eat. Sorry Jim, but I am at least man enough to do it myself vs hiding behind the proverbial hypocritical curtain!

As for incomes, my hunting has nothing to do with my ability to provide for my family. Anytime you want to compare K1's let me know. I hunt for the enjoyment, for the meat, for the ability to do what my ancestors have done for centuries.

You would rather allow someone else to kill your food for you but then call those of us with bloody hands barbarians.

Your soapbox is starting to sag and everyone see's it......

Griz

PS I will respond more later...

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!