Temp problems Help!!! - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Boas Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 01-29-2021, 04:20 AM   #1
Newtot
Temp problems Help!!!

Ok so i made this diy enclosure lol for my baby bci. I ordered a rhp from pro products that is supposed to fit the size and temps of my home. I am having issues getting a stable temp. I have tried the probe mid way under the hot side set to 90 and on the cool end set to 80. I have tried 2 different thermostats and they get to like 85 on thier display and stop. The dimmer pulse exo terra thermostat runs at full blast and still does this. Surface temps read anywhere from 89- 96 over the course of the day and night. For some reason im getting a huge drop in temp at night. The day and nigh options on the thermostat are set the same. What am i doing wrong guys and why such huge fluctuations? Granted my house is old and idk if that is a factor. Thinking i should buy a good thermostat like helix or herpstat but i dont wanna sink a ton on that if it isnt the issue. Help

Sent from my SM-A205U using Tapatalk

Old 02-01-2021, 08:35 PM   #2
Randall Turner
Sounds like quite a frustrating issue you're running into. You could always try one of the on/off inkbird thermostats, they're inexpensive and recommended by quite a few keepers. I'd personally though spring for a herpstat or a Vivarium Electronics thermostat if you end up replacing the exo terra. They're worth the money for the peace of mind.

What is the size of the enclosure, heat panel wattage, average room temp?

As a comparison, I'll give a few of my setups with RHP stats as a comparison. I have 2 Animal Plastics t8s (4x2x1 enclosures) with Reptile Basics 40 watt panels in them. They're controlled by a PID thermostat I built a few years ago, and the probe is placed about 6" below the panel sticking out where it is just under the edge of the heating portion of the panel. I have the stat set to 31c (88f) and the hot spot hits right around 90/91 and the cool end ambient of the enclosure is about 74. Another stack has Vision 400s (4'x2'x16") with 75 watt pro products panels, the thermostat is a herpstat 2, with the probe mounted on the sidewall right near the panel about 3" down. The temp is set to 84.5f and the hot spot is 95 and the cool end ambient is around 75. These are in an area that is usually around 70 degrees 24/7.

Old 02-08-2021, 07:46 AM   #3
Newtot
I finally got it worked out but i had to spring for a herpstat.

Sent from my SM-A205U using Tapatalk

Old 02-08-2021, 01:19 PM   #4
Randall Turner
Glad to hear it was worked out.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!