Who is "THE" source for leopard gecko genetics? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Geckos Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 04-16-2004, 12:39 PM   #1
beakgeek
Who is "THE" source for leopard gecko genetics?

Hi

For my own clarification I'd like to get a handle on which traits are recessive, etc in leopard geckos. I want to make a graphic similar to this:

Let N be the dominant allele for normal pigment.
Let n be the recessive allele for albino.
Parent phenotype Heterozygous Normal Heterozygous Normal
Parent genotype Nn X Nn
Gametes N n N n
Possible offspring genotype NN Nn Nn nn
Offspring phenotype Normal Normal Normal Albino
Ratio of phenotype 3 normal : 1 albino

I asked previously and got a partial answer, but I'd like to find out who in the leo world has this down pat so I can understand it completely.

Can someone point me in the right direction or is the group interested in contributing to come up with the complete picture?

Thanks in advance.

Terry

Old 04-16-2004, 12:55 PM   #2
Golden Gate Geckos
leo genetics

There are many I consider to be 'experts' on gecko genetics, but Steven Sykes from Geckos, Etc. is the first person who comes to mind. http://www.geckosetc.com

Old 04-16-2004, 01:35 PM   #3
KelliH
I can certainly help you out with genetics related questions, but as far as drawing a graphic, no. I honestly do not know many of those genetic terms, sorry. I do know when you breed a het to a het you will get 25% expressing the trait, 50% carrying the trait, and 25% normal non trait carriers. But you probably already knew that :-)

Old 04-16-2004, 01:36 PM   #4
diablohogs
Lightbulb punnet squares and reccesive vs. dominant

i dont want to start another pissing contest here but i feel fairly comfortable with punnett squares and genetics.

i dont completely understand what your asking tho...

i see your equation (although i cant spell the word) and its right on.

1/4 normals (NN)
1/2 het for albino (Nn)
1/4 albino (nn)

the really hard part is figuring what youll get if you cross two double mutations and than cross thier OFFSPRING.

say a rainwater patternless albino X tremper giant albino

p=patternless
r=rainwater albino
t=tremper albino
g=giant
N=wild dominant gene (normal)

youll get 100%
pNrNtNgN

...thier offspring (well use the magic number 16)

pNrNtNgN x pNrNtNgN seems like is far too variable to foresee. im about to go watch kill bill vol. 2 at the movies....when i get back ill lay that genetics problem into a big ol punnet square. and hopefully turn out some answers....in the meantime i welcome anyone else to give it a shot.

Old 04-16-2004, 01:51 PM   #5
Golden Gate Geckos
YES!!!

According to my limited understanding, you are correct:

Normal het. Albino X Normal het. Albino

Genotype:
25% Normal
50% Normal het. Albino
25% Albino

Phenotype:
75% Normal
25% Albino

Old 04-16-2004, 02:30 PM   #6
Bryan Self
I have to agree with Marcia. Steve is a great source. Not only does he breed he has the schooling as well. The last show I spoke with him at he was doing salamander research for UCSB. As far as the example you are correct. another web site I would recomend is this one. http://www.compusmart.ab.ca/kbush/albino.htm

Old 04-16-2004, 04:32 PM   #7
robin d.
i would reccomend kell hammack and jodi aherns, shoot another guy cant remember his name ill drop it to you

Old 04-17-2004, 10:13 AM   #8
1derfool
Re: Who is "THE" source for leopard gecko genetics?

Quote:
Originally posted by beakgeek

For my own clarification I'd like to get a handle on which traits are recessive, etc in leopard geckos.
If you want a simple way to calculate the outcome, go to the Leopard Gecko Genetics Calculator. Just select the trait(s) for each parent, and get the possible results.
If the trait you're looking for isn't in that list, it's selective/line bred.

Quote:
Link removed by Ken Harbart

Old 04-17-2004, 12:14 PM   #9
beakgeek
If you want a simple way to calculate the outcome, go to the Leopard Gecko Genetics Calculator

I've seen that website before - very cool. I sent an email to Steven Sykes and he responded very quickly. Like you mentioned the recesive traits are listed on that website:

all the albinos:
bell
tremper
rainwater

blizzard
patternless
tremper giant

What about stripes? Seem like we had some discussion about this and there was not any agreement.

Terry

Old 04-17-2004, 02:38 PM   #10
diablohogs
crossing a rainwater PA with a tramper giant will give you quadruple hets... unfortunately the Leopard Gecko Genetics Calculator only support upto 3 recessive traits.

it would be nice if he made it to include ray hines codominant hypos as well.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!