Mack snows..... - Page 4 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Geckos Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 05-01-2005, 04:04 PM   #31
KelliH
Quote:
I think they would look KILLER in black and white. But since they are in a cheap morph, would he sell them to me? I think he would because I am a very good salesman (LOL) - but what if he didn't see the same vision I did. I have the money - a semi-decent rep - and good "ethics" - but a stock that some people think are ordinary.
I think he would.

You know what, you are absolutely correct about price fixing, not only is it ethically wrong, but illegal as well (isn't it??). Haha you should dabble in the ball python market for awhile LOL. Exactly why H.I.S.S. is going to be getting out of high end ball pythons, too many secrets, too much back stabbing, and blackballing for that matter.

Alex is not price fixing. When I bought my snow he said not a word to me about what to price babies at. I understand and respect what he did with the snows. He was careful to release them to dedicated breeders that intended on DOING something with the morph, not just mass producing them (exactly what Laura P pointed out in her earlier post).

We as breeders can choose who we sell to and who we do not sell to. There are VERY few people in this hobby that I refuse to sell to, but there is a short list. That is my right, as a breeder. I am not going to sell one of my geckos to someone that has not the slightest idea how to care for them and is not willing to listen and learn. I also am not going to sell my geckos to someone that seemingly has every intention of purposely undercutting other breeders just because he can and because he doesn't like them. I also refuse to sell to someone that is rude and insulting to me, although in some cases I will take them off my list if a sincere apology is given.

It's not price fixing or blckballing, it's selective selling. And I understand it completely.

Old 05-01-2005, 04:06 PM   #32
dwedeking
My take on the ethics:

I feel comfortable doing anything to the competition via how I control my own pricing/offerings, it crosses the line when I directly control how others price/offer products.

Examples:

Acceptable methods:
1. Not selling to someone that I feel will not market the product properly.
2. Dumping my prices to ruin the competitions ability to offer the same product to the consumer.
3. Flooding a market to gather a share of the market (thereby removing the competition).
4. Buying up a competitors on-hand stock so that it removes them from the market.

Unacceptable methods:
1. Only selling to a customer based upon them only selling at $X
2. Physically removing them from the market place
3. Libel to remove the competition (hell, I don't even bad talk the competitors that deserve it).
4. Telling a supplier that I won't carry XYZ if they sell to Company A

While some of the acceptable practices don't fall in the "nice" category, as long as my actions are upon my own products/offerings then I don't consider them unethical.

I believe a lot of the "hobbyists" or retail customers would be suprised how much this industry resembles an "old school bare knuckles match on the docks" when you get behind the scenes a little.

Old 05-01-2005, 04:13 PM   #33
KelliH
Daniel-

As far as your acceptable methods go, 1 and 4 I can understand and agree with, but:

Quote:
2. Dumping my prices to ruin the competitions ability to offer the same product to the consumer.
3. Flooding a market to gather a share of the market (thereby removing the competition).
That doesn't seem right!

Old 05-01-2005, 04:43 PM   #34
schuyler
Whatever happened to the love and respect for the gecko! It's not a commodity to be reckoned with...I believe if someone wants to barter or sell anything, everyone should have an equal opportunity to enjoy it! As far as market prices are concerned, to the highest bid etc., why don't you consider the corporate world! Who died and appointed you God?!

Old 05-01-2005, 05:13 PM   #35
dwedeking
Kelli,

While I consider those tactics short sighted in terms of business for the most part, they are acceptable tactics in dealing with the competition. Most companies when they come into a market (for example when the Wal Mart first opened up to the present time) they will slash prices to build up a customer base. Then once they have established a base they will raise prices (you will see an increase in Wal Mart prices shortly as they change their focus from market share to increasing margins). Most small time breeders do this until they acheive a name for themselves.

Quote:
Whatever happened to the love and respect for the gecko! It's not a commodity to be reckoned with...I believe if someone wants to barter or sell anything, everyone should have an equal opportunity to enjoy it! As far as market prices are concerned, to the highest bid etc., why don't you consider the corporate world! Who died and appointed you God?!
Actually no one spoke of providing poor quality animals. Just the war of competition and how to deal with it. In our business plan we consider marketing and sales to be seperate from the concerns of animal care. We sat down with spreadsheets and started with the cost of care of the animals to the level we find acceptable. Those are hard costs that we don't cut corners on. From this point on I accept those numbers as written in stone when it comes to figuring prices and competing. This keeps my competitive nature from overriding the care that Wendy provides our animals (both personal and business ones).

Old 05-01-2005, 08:24 PM   #36
aliceinwl
I think that Mack snows will follow down the same road as the albinos. Within the next few years the regular co-doms and supers will drop dramatically. If this morph is compatible with traits like hypo, bold stripe, etc., these Mack snows will continue to command top dollar just like the Hybinos, etc.

-Alice

Old 05-01-2005, 10:51 PM   #37
KelliH
Dan-

I realize that the tactics you speak of are regularly used in the business world (especially with big coorporations). I think that when working with animals one should conduct themselves with a little more morals. Why? I don't know why!

I have always said I am a hobbiest first and foremost, and not cut out to be a business person (regarding my geckos that is). I am too honest, respectful of others, and love and respect my animals too much to be that way.

Please do not take offense to this Dan. You have your way of doing things, and I realize there is nothing illegal about it or anything like that.

Old 05-01-2005, 10:55 PM   #38
schuyler
Dwedeking--

My quote contradicts to what you are advocating: fixed prices and 'according to the market.' Equal is the operative word. Thank you for reinforcing my beliefs, however, they are irrelevant to yours.

Old 05-01-2005, 11:34 PM   #39
dwedeking
Quote:
I am too honest, respectful of others, and love and respect my animals too much to be that way
Actually Kelli, you'd find our attitudes on the animals similiar. I'm just able to seperate that attitude when it comes to competitors. There are tons of people I've met in the industry that I'd give the shirt of my back to assist even though they are direct competitors. I also realize that it can be a mean industry and you adjust your tactics to survive against those competitors that play the game that way.

Quote:
My quote contradicts to what you are advocating: fixed prices and 'according to the market.' Equal is the operative word. Thank you for reinforcing my beliefs, however, they are irrelevant to yours.
I don't understand your point. I'm not advocating any fixed prices. I'm advocating a free competitive marketplace. Things are not equal though. And while that can be frustrating it is the board we have chosen to play on.

Old 05-01-2005, 11:47 PM   #40
E2MacPets
Price fixing is immoral and illegal. However Alex stating that he would not be the first to lower the asking price is very reassuring. He is allowing for a competitive marketplace where breeders hand picked for their ethics will create and expand the market.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!