Leopard Gecko Registry; Unneeded Bureaucracy? - Page 6 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Geckos Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 01-24-2006, 01:16 PM   #51
TripleMoonsExotic
Register as an LGR breeder here...
http://www.leopardgeckoregistry.com/breeder.html

Register each one of your geckos here...
http://www.leopardgeckoregistry.com/register.html

If you do not have information such as the Breeder ID Number (which can be found here http://www.leopardgeckoregistry.com/breederlist.html) or the parents Registered ID Numbers, that's fine! Again, it would be a whole new line.

This is however the old specimen registration form. It's a tad bit more confusing then the new one...but the new one is hooked up with the new programming, so if anyone registers a gecko useing the old form, I will be inputting them by hand once everyone is hooked up with user name and passwords.

Old 01-24-2006, 01:38 PM   #52
groovygeckos
Tom I think your Tremper can be classified as a "Tremper-line /Petshop/NY Albino" then. LOL

It is interesting, I will participate and just see where it goes. I only hope more will join in.

**Little off topic here, but it could tie- in I guess**
Now we just need to get Leopard Gecko-, calendars, cards, placemats, mouspads, T-shirts, you name it, and get some Gecko-shows going! LOL Y`know like they have all these things w/ other pets on them.

Everyone has seen a cat, dog, birds, fish, even small 'furries'... But how many people have you encountered that have NEVER even seen a nice Leo? When I do, they say 'OMG they are so beautiful! Where do they come from, etc X3?'

This is an animal that deserves more respect and recognition as a great, amazing, and beautiful pet. We dont have a chance with the representation, and lower quality of animals that come from some petstores. How many people will NEVER even look at those 'lizards' in the tanks, etc., or even see our websites, or go to a show? Shouldnt we try to do something to increase recognition of these Geckos to EVERYONE?

I know they are popular but...
Just imagine if more people were introduced to them, and NOT through the chainstores. Imagine if they learned, that they are calm and friendly critters, and not 'wild lizards' which seems to be the stereotype from alot of people, directed at all lizards. Well... at least there is now a geico commercial with a Leopard, and thats a start.

Old 01-24-2006, 01:42 PM   #53
groovygeckos
Thinking big but...

Imagine next year, we see a calendar in the Petco, w/ a Super Snow, next to a Super Snow Bell Albino, or something???

Old 01-24-2006, 01:47 PM   #54
Traci1
Just so you know where I am coming from…I am a registered breeder with the American Cornsnake Registry with about 60 animals pending registration. I only have a few leos right now and am not currently planning on breeding them on a large scale.

If I am not mistaken, the idea of having a corn snake registry was created after certain corn snake forum members created much stink about the “purity” of corn snake lines. For example, years and years ago taxonomy was different and emoryi rat snakes were considered to be a western race of corn snake. Therefore these now separate species were bred together and some offspring may not have been designated as hybrids. (Because back then they weren’t considered to be hybrids) So to this day there could be corn snakes out there being bred and/or sold with a minute trace of emoryi blood in them…. unbeknownst to the sellers and buyers. To many of us, this is not something to lose sleep over. There is nothing we can do about it…I am not aware of a way to test the DNA of our corn snakes to make sure there is not one drop of emoryi blood in there.

So as far as I know, we cannot go back and verify the ancestry (and therefore “purity”) of every single corn snake we currently have, but starting with 2005 we were given the opportunity to record everything we DO know about our animals by registering them with the ACR. These records will be available for all to see, and this way it establishes (or adds to the) credibility of those breeders registered. Plus as time goes by and more and more offspring are registered…there will be “family trees” created so people will be able to view which snakes are related.

With all that said, I am not aware of there being any “purity” issues with leopard geckos. If not, then obviously the leo registry is not starting up for the same reasons as the ACR. However, Stef is also a registered with the ACR, and my first thought is that after realizing the benefits that could come from such a registry, she just wanted to establish something similar for leopard geckos.

Yeah it is a lot of work, and the corn snake world is lucky to have certain individuals handling most of the load. But I think it’s a great thing and am thrilled to be part of it. I look forward to seeing it grow as offspring continue to be registered.

Old 01-24-2006, 01:59 PM   #55
The NY Gecko
hwo do i register my geckos without father or mother id? like ym tremper for instance. or dans i ncase hes not registered?

Old 01-24-2006, 02:14 PM   #56
shrap
Quote:
Originally Posted by TripleMoonsExotic
I was rereading this thread and came up with something I wanted to reply to...

I'm not sure if this was intentially meant that the LGR would be used simply as another place to have a website advertised (IE linked)...but their are going to be restrictions as to whether or not an individual will remain an active LGR Registered Breeder. While we will not delete an individual for any reason from the registry, if a particular person does not participate in the LGR (IE registering geckos, discussion forums, etc) they will be put on "inactive" status and not linked but listed on the LGR with an "inactive" notation. We want participation from the Leo community.
Let the bureaucracy and controlling of peoples actions begin!! This is exactly the type of thing that people don't want to be a part of.

Except of course those who are trying to do the controlling.

Old 01-24-2006, 02:25 PM   #57
The NY Gecko
shrap. i dont see the point of that. it shouldnt be used as a free advertisisng link. imo it should be used the way it was designed to be used. like, you wouldnt swallowa sopository would you?

Old 01-24-2006, 02:44 PM   #58
shrap
Tom,

You are missing the bigger picture, but I aint mad at you.

As far as the suppository goes, I am a very unconventional guy and live by the old trial and error method of getting results. So who knows....

Old 01-24-2006, 06:40 PM   #59
The NY Gecko
lol i wasnt trying to be hostile. i jsut stated that to simply become a par tof the LGR to use it as free advertising space isnt really repsecting it and the way its meant to be used. the metaphore came to mind only cuz i got done watching futurama

Old 01-24-2006, 06:55 PM   #60
shrap
Tom, I was completely laughing as I was typing that..... like I said, I aint mad at you.

I just have a different view point about the Registry than you do and it has absolutely nothing to do with the advertising aspect of it.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!