No More Circuses in America? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Laws, Legislative Issues & Alerts > General Legislative Discussions

Notices

General Legislative Discussions Any general discussion concerning legislative issues or events. Not necessarily specific to a particular region, or even a type of animal group.

Old 05-31-2015, 12:42 PM   #1
neilg
Exclamation No More Circuses in America?

No Permits for Wild Animal Acts

http://www.humanesociety.org/news/ne...web_id85539248

"More than 40 U.S. cities and 30 countries prohibit the use of wild animals for entertainment purposes"

wow didnt realize that many already do.. so this governor (of Hawaii) is proposing a ban on wildlife for entertainment... could it really reach the federal level?

Old 05-31-2015, 01:03 PM   #2
Insomniac101
Quote:
Originally Posted by neilg View Post
... could it really reach the federal level?
I wish it would! I don't believe that elephants, lions, and other undomesticated animals should be exploited to entertain humans. Forcing animals to perform unnatural movements, on demand, in a stressful environment, is not entertaining to me.

With acts like Cirque du Soleil, animals don't have to be subjected to abuse and neglect for people to enjoy a great show. Barnum and Bailey are finally phasing out their elephant act by 2016 I believe, and sending their animals to a sanctuary - due in no small part, to public pressure.

Kathy

Old 05-31-2015, 02:17 PM   #3
neilg
indeed, i say mister bears forced to wear tutu skirt, birthday hat, and ride a miniature tricycle around in circles, nationwide, cast their vote!

limit circuses to human clowns, acrobats and perhaps the occasional bonafide *domesticated* animal performances (why plunge wild animals into erratic human crowds when there's enuf domestic animals to serve the purpose already as it is?!)

Old 06-07-2015, 11:48 PM   #4
sapphira80
Totally agree with insomniac and neilg. Elephants, tigers, lions, seals, etc. Shouldn't be forced to do dumb tricks for our entertainment. I think animal "entertainment" should focus on education about ecosystems, biodiversity and preservation of species in their natural habitat. I understand some animals must be kept in captivity due to domestication, injury, inability to be returned to natural habitat, etc. Anyway, good for the places banning circuses that exploit animals... Time for circuses to evolve or go extinct.

Old 06-09-2015, 11:20 AM   #5
enoreg
I agree with the circus bans however this is a slippery slope. Next it will be banning of zoo"s and animal sanctuaries. There are some that do a lot of good some don't. Punish the abusers like circuses not people and places that help. Just my dumb opinion.

Old 06-09-2015, 02:05 PM   #6
Herps Alive!
Quote:
Originally Posted by enoreg View Post
I agree with the circus bans however this is a slippery slope. Next it will be banning of zoo"s and animal sanctuaries. There are some that do a lot of good some don't. Punish the abusers like circuses not people and places that help. Just my dumb opinion.
THIS. The San Francisco ban (as just one example) bans birthday party programs and extends to reptiles. Fine line between education and entertainment in many cases.

Old 06-25-2015, 12:29 PM   #7
Inret
N'thing the whole "it's a slippery slope". Instead of banning them, set some seriously high standards for these people.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!