Taking in a GTP - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Arboreal Boas/Pythons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 01-31-2017, 11:02 PM   #1
DLenaRuth999s
Question Taking in a GTP

Looks like I might be adopting a GTP. But only if I can convert him to FT. Anyone done it? He's not a baby, he's a sub adult. This would be my first. I'm reading care sheets, but how about some real life advice on the day to day husbandry and handling? I have solid experience with corns, bps, Rosie's and one AHS. Newbie with Dumerils and DRMB.

Old 02-01-2017, 12:20 PM   #2
PythonMan89
Quote:
Originally Posted by DLenaRuth999s View Post
Looks like I might be adopting a GTP. But only if I can convert him to FT. Anyone done it? He's not a baby, he's a sub adult. This would be my first. I'm reading care sheets, but how about some real life advice on the day to day husbandry and handling? I have solid experience with corns, bps, Rosie's and one AHS. Newbie with Dumerils and DRMB.
The only advice I have is from working with BPs and a reticulated python. Both were already on f/t, but I converted the retic from chicks to rats. All I did was offer it what I had. As long as it was warm and I wriggled it around in front of it, it struck after a moment or two. Not too familiar with GTPs or how picky they are when it comes to food, but I'd at least try offering a f/t food item and seeing if it will take it. Is the current owner able to attempt converting it before you take it in? Because that might be better than moving it and then trying to feed it when it's still stressed from the move.

Old 02-01-2017, 02:44 PM   #3
DLenaRuth999s
Thanks. He said he would try it at the next meal.

Old 02-01-2017, 07:58 PM   #4
eric561
Mine smell the prey item when placed in front of their face and commence feeding. If that doesn't work, tap prey item on the neck, body and/or tail of the snake to tease feed. This will usually elicit a striking response. Make sure you have tongs of appropriate length! As long as it is not a horny male, shouldn't be too hard to get it on frozen thawed. Good luck!

Old 02-04-2017, 04:55 AM   #5
suskie1992
Well on Husbandry I would suggest a plastic cage w/ heat panel best setup to keep humidity in and the heat panel won't dry out inclosure as fast as a basking bulb would (NO GTP EXPERT!!!) Also for feeding GTP's dont get that large you should not have a problem feeding it live rat fuzzies (small enough to not do sufficient damage to snake) while you try to make the transfer to F/T or P/K. There are plenty of methods out there for conversion eric summed it up but you can also rip some skin and try different prey items.

Good luck!!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!