Bad Guy Snakes at Sunset - Michael Barrera - Sick Animals - Terrible Condition - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > Board of Inquiry®

Notices

Board of Inquiry® This forum is provided exclusively for the discussion of specific persons or businesses in the herp industry.

Old 08-19-2017, 12:28 PM   #1
MrTPlush
Snakes at Sunset - Michael Barrera - Sick Animals - Terrible Condition

Do not buy from Snakes at Sunset their animals are disgusting.

I recieved a Desert Iguana on Wednesday and the fact this animal was shipped to me is a disgrace. Upon recieving the iguana the first thing I noticed was it looked very skinny. Not having a lot of experience with lizards I posted a thread on the forum to get feedback before saying anything. Two people replied confirming what I thought. Not only that but the iguana is very weak and not active. Once again I wasn't going to jump to any conclusions and figured it might just be cold from shipment and would perk up in a few days. Not so much the Iguana is still rarely ever moving and has no interest in eating. Today I noticed the iguana pooping out just clear liquid so I decided to take an even closer look. I wish I had not as I am totally disgusted at this point. The iguana is quite literally crawling with mites. There are multiple large ones by it's legs and very very small ones crawling on it's body. It is sad and pathetic anyone could allow such an animal to even be shipped. Mr. Barrera can make any excuse he wants, but there is no excuse his employees can't tell how seriously poor(and obvious) this iguana's health is.

Pictures are being posted within the next half hour. Yes I will let Mr. Barrera know I have posted this.

Old 08-19-2017, 12:35 PM   #2
MrTPlush
Here are the photos. The mite photo only shows one, but it was hard to get it to focus so this is what I managed. The other leg was much worse. This animal was feld collected, but that is no excuse for this.
Attached Images

Old 08-19-2017, 12:52 PM   #3
Beyond GenetiX
Did you contact them before posting this? Did you know the animal was field collected before purchasing it?

Old 08-19-2017, 01:06 PM   #4
Mike Schultz
How long have you had it? Looks a little lean, but not anything completely out of the ordinary for a wild caught animal. Did you hydrate it upon arrival? What temperature is it at now? It looks a little dehydrated and cold, usually fresh WC animals will look a million times better after a soak and put under a nice hot bulb.

Old 08-19-2017, 01:29 PM   #5
MrTPlush
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Schultz View Post
How long have you had it?

Looks a little lean, but not anything completely out of the ordinary for a wild caught animal.

Don't completely disagree. I really wasn't worried about it being skinny until all the other issues started becoming obvious. I wasn't expecting a plump desert iguana and very aware it was field collected. However with other health issues it is much more of a concern.

Did you hydrate it upon arrival?

Yes

What temperature is it at now?

Hot spot is at 105. He is not cold. Also I have had him since Wednesday(August 16th)

^Answers

Old 08-19-2017, 01:35 PM   #6
MrTPlush
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jet76 View Post
Did you contact them before posting this?
I contacted them about it being not active and they replied saying it might be cold. I knew that, but I mostly sent them an email just incase it was something more. I didn't want to wait a week and then mention it. I also brought up how skinny it was, but I didn't get a reply Thursday afternoon or Friday. I called them today, but there was no one there that could help me.

Old 08-19-2017, 04:41 PM   #7
sdcr1121
Positive experience

I'm sorry to hear that. I just purchased two turtles from them and they were active and alert when I picked them up on friday. The package was held at a fedex hub due to 100 degree weather here.

WC animals can be hit or miss. What is their policy with field collected animals?
I have noticed that reptiles rarely look ill until they are at death's door. I hope your iguana pulls through.

Old 08-19-2017, 10:55 PM   #8
Dyscophus antongilii
I would very much like to "hear", well see, Snakes at Sunsets reaction to your thread. I agree your Dipsosaurus dorsalis looks very unhealthy. Can you return your current specimen to them? Will they give you another specimen?

I would also like to apologize for my incoherent post, on the other thread you posted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdcr1121 View Post
I'm sorry to hear that.
I am too. It is very unfortunate for the OP and the Dipsosaurus dorsalis.

Quote:
I just purchased two turtles from them and they were active and alert when I picked them up on friday.
What species of turtle did you get? Do you mean that you just received them this Friday? If so, how are they eating? How is the behavior of your specimens? Lastly, what was the approximate size of the specimens when you got them?

Quote:
The package was held at a fedex hub due to 100 degree weather here.
That is very very good, in my humble opinion.

Quote:
WC animals can be hit or miss.
I completely agree with that. However, in my humble opinion, the OP should NOT have received an animal in that condition. In other words, the seller should NOT have sent out the Dipsosaurus dorsalis looking like that.

Quote:
What is their policy with field collected animals?.
This is all I can find about policies in general:http://snakesatsunset.com/shipping-returns/
Hopefully, someone will be more helpful then me, on this particular topic

Quote:
I have noticed that reptiles rarely look ill until they are at death's door.
I agree with that a hundred and ten percent. Which, in my humble opinion, is very unfortunate.

Quote:
I hope your iguana pulls through.
Me too. Please keep us updated on your Dipsosaurus dorsalis

Old 08-20-2017, 09:29 AM   #9
KNOBTAIL
In the end these species will starve themselves to death if the spiral has not already begun. It should never have been sold in the first place. Especially if the photos are accurate.

Old 08-20-2017, 01:43 PM   #10
Snake-Queen
Quote:
Originally Posted by KNOBTAIL View Post
In the end these species will starve themselves to death if the spiral has not already begun. It should never have been sold in the first place. Especially if the photos are accurate.
How exactly could the photos not be accurate?

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!