babies hatching - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Bearded Dragons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 03-31-2004, 08:22 PM   #1
godsmack000
Stop! babies hatching

OK a baby just hatched and this is the first that I've had so what do I feed it. Will nymph hissers be good? No mealworms right? How long does it stay in the incubator? I know when to sell it and stuff like that. It already has coloring. About what heat should everything be at when it goes to a cage?

Old 04-03-2004, 11:44 PM   #2
JMelissaMc
I Hope that You are Kidding!

Paul,

I really hope that you are kidding about asking these basic questions. You have already had 9 weeks to research how to care for hatchlings. You don't learn by just asking on a forum, you should have had this researched way in advance, like when you had planned on breeding your female in the first place.

Go get yourself a book, no get all of the books that you can find on beardeds and READ THEM! I own every book that I have ever found. There are also many websites that explain how to take care of hatchlings.

You feed them 1/4" crickets and greens mincely chopped up. No meal worms, and I do not even know what a nymph hisser is, so I doubt that it is recommended. They can stay in the incubator for a few hours after hatching, until they are up running around. The cage should have two temperatures to it, a side that is around 100 degrees, and the other around 80. Some books differ on temperatures but that is the general idea.

Please, do some research on how to take care of your dragons. This is not to be taken lightly.

Old 04-04-2004, 12:01 AM   #3
Sybella
I think nymph hissers are roaches.

Old 04-04-2004, 05:36 PM   #4
godsmack000
babies

I Knew alot of what to do before hand but I was just double checking. They have all hatched now and doing good.

Old 04-05-2004, 01:23 AM   #5
Mark and Aimee
Quote:
No meal worms, and I do not even know what a nymph hisser is, so I doubt that it is recommended.
This sentence disturbs me...

First, why the paranoia about mealworms? We've fed small mealworms to our baby bearded dragons for several years, and have had fantastic success. We also feed crickets, a high quality greens mix, and pellets (soaked in juice).

Also - if you don't even know what a hisser nymph is... how can you speak against it?

Roaches are a natural prey item for Bearded Dragons. They make up a good portion of their diet. Sure, Madagascar Hissing Cockroaches are not exactly found in the natural range of the Inland Bearded Dragon, but there are plenty of similar roaches.

We feed hisser and lobster roaches to our bearded dragons of all sizes. They attack them with vigor.

Old 04-05-2004, 03:04 AM   #6
JMelissaMc
Mealworms

"First, why the paranoia about mealworms?"

This forum is about what to feed hatchlings. Mealworms are not to be introduced into a baby dragons diet until they are at least 2 months old. They are too small to properly digest them and can cause impaction. I have read this from numerous sources and I will not take a chance on trying it out.

Old 04-05-2004, 05:18 PM   #7
godsmack000
mealworms

Well I've heard that with babies the mealworms can eat through their stomachs. I've heard many stories about this happening.

Old 04-05-2004, 05:18 PM   #8
godsmack000
mealworms

Well I've heard that with babies the mealworms can eat through their stomachs. I've heard many stories about this happening.

Old 04-06-2004, 08:41 PM   #9
Mark and Aimee
Quote:
This forum is about what to feed hatchlings. Mealworms are not to be introduced into a baby dragons diet until they are at least 2 months old. They are too small to properly digest them and can cause impaction. I have read this from numerous sources and I will not take a chance on trying it out.
Thanks for the response. That sounds like an interesting opinion on feeding baby beardies. But that's just it... An opinion.

In my experience - if you provide a hot enough basking area, baby beardies will digest just about anything. As I said in my original post... We've never had any problems.

We also provide a 130 degree basking surface - and they use it. I suppose I take this approach because I am also very interested in monitors. We provide our ackies with a basking area of similar temps, and they flourish. Being Beardies and Ackies are from similar areas... Why not give them similar temperatures to utilize?

Quote:
That would be a classic reptile "old wives tale". It's just plain NOT TRUE. What you have heard is stories. Show me evidence from a veterinarian, and I'll listen. I've asked many people to show me their vet reports, and I've even asked quite a few vets. No one can provide factual evidence of this happening.

You're more likely to have an animal die of some other cause... And a stray mealworm in the cage MIGHT eat it's way INTO the stomach. Even that, I'd say, is a little far fetched.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!