Pastel Ball Id - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Ball Pythons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 06-28-2005, 05:28 PM   #1
Steve Hamm
Pastel Ball Id

Was wondering with Pastel BP's is there any definitive mark (EX: eye color,light head etc.) to distinguish that it's a defenite Pastel. Any help would be great.

Steve Hamm

Old 06-28-2005, 11:14 PM   #2
Karen Hulvey
I saw my first bona fide live pastel ball python Sunday at the St. Louis Reptile Show. Trust me, when you see one you WILL know it's a pastel. From only looking at pictures of them I used to think that they looked a lot like the high yellow farm raised balls I've seen and wondered how in the world anyone could tell the difference. Then I saw those. There is a huge difference in color. They are striking to say the least.

Old 06-29-2005, 03:49 PM   #3
Steve Hamm
Thanks

thank you Karen, still wondering if there is any definitive markings on a Pastel BP"s, I see some bright colored BP's around and just want to make sure threre pastals. I have one of my own but I would like now for sure if it is a Pastel or not. Any other help would be great.

Steve Hamm

Old 06-29-2005, 04:11 PM   #4
Steve Hamm
Thanks

Thanks Karen for helping me out, but I am still looking for definitive markings any more help would be great.

Steve Hamm

Old 06-29-2005, 04:16 PM   #5
Steve Hamm
Erase

If a MOd could erase my last post that would be great, I went to check the one before to see if it posted and didn't see it so I reposted sorry

Steve Hamm

Old 06-29-2005, 08:43 PM   #6
Karen Hulvey
A good way to tell if your BP is a pastel or not is: How much did you pay for it? Now not all high $$$ BPs offered for sale that are being called pastel are truly pastel and it's buyer beware in those cases. But I highly doubt you're going to get a true pastel for $75. So how much did you pay for your BP?

I hope someone with more knowledge comes here to help you.

Old 06-30-2005, 05:30 PM   #7
Steve Hamm
Palstel ball ID

Thank you Karen it's good to have someone trying to help me. He wasn't expensive at all under a $100.00, I have had him for some time know and have wondered about him since I got him and thought I would check into it. His colors are awsome on his sides, well from his belly up to 3/4 of the way to his back, lots of yellow and peach colors, his brown isn't so much brown but a light brown or gold, his black is as black as night with little round fadded spots all over,I asked this ques cause I am not up to date with Balls I am more into Boas,but really considering both. I will try to post some pics on Sataurday, Please check back.

Steve Hamm

Old 06-30-2005, 07:48 PM   #8
Watever
are you able to post pictures ?

Pastel will have silver eyes instead of brown, but I don't know if all the lines have it and lot of people mixed line so hard to tell now.

for 100$ I doubt you have a pastel unless you get really lucky and it's a wild caught.

Old 06-30-2005, 08:40 PM   #9
Casey Hulse
Not sure of

any markers Steve, generally a reduced patern, often alot of blushing. I have seen adult pastels that look pretty normal, but they can produce obvious pastel babies. Adults often "dull" with age to the point that you can not tell for certain if they are pastel. You may have to breed the animal and see if the pastel gene is evident in the babies?? My guess anyway. Bring it to the Kalamazoo show in Nov.

Old 07-01-2005, 04:33 PM   #10
Cheryl Marchek AKA JM
I am by an expert on the subject~ but this looks like an excellent oppurtunity to share pics of my pastel~ so here he is!

To start with~ I paid CONSIDERABLY more than $100 for him in 03'. I really don't know the current pricing on them~ but if you paid "under a $100.00" I doubt you have a pastel~ or whoever sold him to you doesn't know what a pastel looks like.

I've never heard of this silver eye business~ but I have heard that most (possibly all) pastels will have a bicolor eye. YOu can see it pretty well in this pic~ See how the top half of his iris is yellow, the bottom half is brown:

I understand most pastels do lose some of their color as the age. I was very worried about this~ but it looks to me like Pumpkin (His name) is keeping colors pretty well. This is a baby pic of him in Oct 2003:

Yearling in Aug 2004:

and a not very good pic taken this morning (His colors washed out in this pic~ look at the next pic for his actual colors)

and another this morning to show how lemony yellow the blushing on his sides is, this one reflects his colors better than the one above:

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!