ORIGINAL Board of Inquiry forum - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Admin Area > FaunaClassifieds Site HELP & Feedback Forum

Notices

FaunaClassifieds Site HELP & Feedback Forum Anything of a nature concerning this website, moderators, admin, or anything having to do with how it is being run, should go here. Criticism is welcome, but abusive antagonism is not. THIS IS NOT THE FORUM FOR FEEDBACK CONCERNING BUYERS AND SELLERS! Such posts are ONLY allowed as replies to classified ads posted by the specific member involved in a specific issue with you.

Old 07-05-2017, 11:29 PM   #1
WebSlave
Exclamation ORIGINAL Board of Inquiry forum

I was poking around on my server the other day, and stumbled on a folder I had long forgotten about. It contains the original BOI forum I set up back in 2001 in kind of a raw HTML text based format. If I remember correctly, this was originally set up on the HerpWantAds.com website I had back then.

So I decided to link it into the main page of FaunaClassifieds, in case anyone is interested in a stroll down memory lane with some of the people mentioned there. You can either go to the main page of this site (not the FORUM, but the site itself at http://www.FaunaClassifieds.com), or you can use this link to go there directly -> http://www.faunaclassifieds.com/inquiry2/index.html

There is still another rendition of the BOI in between that first one and this currently existing one, but I'm not sure I still have all the parts to that one. The code is in Perl, I believe, and what little I used to know of that programming language I have long, LONG forgotten. Plus the database was a MySQL database, and I have no idea where that might be now. Might even be lost after the number of server moves that have been done between then and now, unfortunately.

Anyway, just a fyi in case anyone is interested.

Old 07-05-2017, 11:59 PM   #2
AbsoluteApril
Awesome stuff!
Also really shows why some of the rules we have now are in place!
Back when I used to post simply as 'April' XD

Old 07-06-2017, 12:02 AM   #3
WebSlave
I did find what appears to be the MySQL backup file for that other BOI rendition I mentioned above. At least I think that is what it is. 3.2 megabytes seems about right.

Too bad my programmer doesn't work in Perl. And I'm not sure this soggy old brain of mine can handle the tedium of programming any longer.

Old 07-06-2017, 01:56 AM   #4
Helenthereef
I still see some forums with a VERY similar looking format....m How times have changed.

Old 07-06-2017, 01:57 AM   #5
Helenthereef
Mind you... comic sans.... really?

Old 07-06-2017, 02:37 AM   #6
WebSlave
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helenthereef View Post
I still see some forums with a VERY similar looking format....m How times have changed.
Yeah, there was a free script available for forums originally that was based on the old Usenet format. I used it on the very first forum I ever set up on my SerpenCo.com website. If I remember correctly there was an inherent problem with that script in that once a certain number of "threads" was reached, it would just crash. So I was constantly monitoring the site and had to be on my toes to prune old threads before the crash happened.

HerpWantAds with the still inactive BOI was custom written by a guy in the Perl programming language, but if I remember correctly, the basic structure was pretty much the same as the Usenet structure. Fortunately by the time FaunaClassifieds was born, there were some much more robust and aesthetically pleasing forum structures becoming commercially (and even freebies) available.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!