Bad Guy Derek and Rachael Mayhew, Inked Dragons - Page 4 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > Board of Inquiry®

Notices

Board of Inquiry® This forum is provided exclusively for the discussion of specific persons or businesses in the herp industry.

Old 10-05-2016, 07:23 PM   #31
Michael Brown
No worries!

How much are you "out" in vet bills? How much was the bearded dragon? Out of curiosity.

Are you still interested in some sort of resolution? or just sharing your experience? (which is greatly appreciated fyi!)

Old 10-05-2016, 07:38 PM   #32
Rhaianon19
In vet bills it's not too bad, but only because I get a discount at my work. But I've also had to buy Critical Care and pay for expedited shipping, purchase Acidophilus, and I'm going to be sending out the ADV test. I'm counting these as expenses because obviously had she bern healthy I would not have these costs. I would say total I'm out $115.
Here is a break down of what it would have cost if I was not an employee.
Exotic exam $75
Fecal $24
Albon $45 (thereabouts, I am not sure of our cost to clients, it may be more)
SC fluids $35
Retest Fecal $22

We are also trying to give her gut a break before trying another dewormer, as her retest fecal showed an even higher coccidia load. I am also syringe feeding her daily.

I don't think there will be a resolution based on their attitude, they made that clear. At this point I'm just sharing the experience. This whole thing has just sucked, quite frankly. I love my animals, I hate to see any of them suffer.

Sent from my LGLS990 using Tapatalk

Old 10-05-2016, 07:38 PM   #33
Rhaianon19
I forgot to say she was $150 shipped.

Old 10-05-2016, 09:53 PM   #34
EdwardK
There is some good literature out on treatments that may be a better choice than the Albon. Ponazuril and paromomycin have both been used to totally clear coccidia (including Cryptosporidium ssp) in bearded dragons.

See Grosset, Claire, et al. "Cryptosporidiosis in juvenile bearded dragons (Pogona vitticeps): effects of treatment with paromomycin." Journal of Herpetological Medicine and Surgery 21.1 (2011): 10-15.

Bogoslavsky, B. A. "The use of ponazuril to treat coccidiosis in eight inland bearded dragons (Pogona vitticeps)." Proc ARAV (2007): 8-9.

You also might want to check the animal for microsporidiosis as it isn't uncommon for beardeds with coccidians to also be positive for this parasite and the symptoms can overlap with coccidial infections.

some comments

Ed

Old 10-05-2016, 10:05 PM   #35
Rhaianon19
We have looked into Ponazuril, and unfortunately need to have it compounded. An admin in one of the Beardie Groups told me Toltrazuril may also be effective and not quite as harsh. I will definitely look into the Paromomycin as well. I thought there was no cure for Crypto? We do not carry any of these and will have to gave them shipped. Unfortunately I am in the middle of this hurricane coming as well, so I don't think we'll be able to get anything in this week. I also won't be able to send out the ADV test until next week either. I really appreciate the help.

Old 10-06-2016, 02:28 AM   #36
Pasodama
Marissa, which "fowl" language did you use? Cluck Cluck Cluck, quack quack quack, or gobble gobble gobble?

Seriously though, it appears, to me, that the seller is the one who was making things more difficult than they had to be. Not because the seller wanted a vet report but because the seller was being rather obtuse (deliberately or not) about what you stated re. the dragon. Was there room for you to be clearer? Sure, but the seller took incomprehension to a higher level than need be. Seller also twisted a bit of what you had stated. smh

I do not blame you for getting mad, at the seller, for calling your workplace and naming you, etc., etc. (rather than keeping it to neutral, professional, questions re. exams/reports).

Seller's foul language was appalling, unprofessional and uncalled for. Plus, unlike yours, was to an extreme.

It does not seem that Inked Dragons is inclined to do anything to help you out nor to give any sort of compensation. Even if given proof. It is a shame.

I do wish the best, for your Beardie, in recovery, etc.

Old 10-06-2016, 08:24 AM   #37
The Hairy Whale
Marissa, in response to your earlier reply.
Lethargy can be from many different things, I did however say dehydration is not normal. Relocation stress causes animals to not eat as much, and force feeding/constant handling certainly doesn't help and can make the coccidia load worse. However each animal is different and I'm not sure how she is coping with you handling her, so I could be completely wrong in this case. Also even if you have never had an issue it doesn't necessarily mean anything. I've had a healthy Croc Skink die when his fecal samples came back clean and two weeks later his necropsy showed tons of protozoa. Never had that happen before and I've been herping since I was 9.
Hopefully she is doing somewhat better (I haven't seen a post directly detailing her current condition) and I hope you also plan to do more research before buying reptiles online.

I'm also in no way trying to defend this seller, obviously they are hiding something.

Old 10-06-2016, 02:42 PM   #38
EdwardK
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhaianon19 View Post
. I thought there was no cure for Crypto?
Until the studies were done for paromomycin and ponazuril that was the accepted standard but the studies in bearded dragons included not only fecal checks but histopathology so unlike Albon which doesn't eliminate the infection but simply gets it under control until the immune system catches up those two drugs appear to eliminate the parasite from the animal (at least in bearded dragons).

We can discuss it some more if you want to shoot me a pm but I should stop taking the thread off course.

some comments

Ed

Old 10-06-2016, 03:03 PM   #39
CwnAnnwn
Mr. Kowalski and Ms. Feola, I think everyone would love to hear about this in its own thread. See below.

http://www.faunaclassifieds.com/foru...77#post1950777

I think it is too important to be put into a pm. Please fill us in.

Ms. Feola, thank you for bring this forward.

I am not sure what I can add to the conversation.

The only two real options you have is

1.) Ship the dragon back, get a refund.
2.) Write the whole thing off and warn the rest of us.

You have seem to take the last option, it is the one I would have done too.

Does anyone have a link to the health guarantee?

Old 10-06-2016, 03:07 PM   #40
Rhaianon19
Quote:
Originally Posted by CwnAnnwn View Post
Mr. Kowalski and Ms. Feola, I think everyone would love to hear about this in its own thread. See below.

http://www.faunaclassifieds.com/foru...77#post1950777

I think it is too important to be put into a pm. Please fill us in.

Ms. Feola, thank you for bring this forward.

I am not sure what I can add to the conversation.

The only two real options you have is

1.) Ship the dragon back, get a refund.
2.) Write the whole thing off and warn the rest of us.

You have seem to take the last option, it is the one I would have done too.

Does anyone have a link to the health guarantee?
I would not want to ship her back and cause more stress for her. My only intent was to shed light on this whole thing because, again, I do not anticipate they would want to do anything. I can provide a screen shot of the message when I get off work. I had asked about a health guarantee since it is a general question I always ask if the seller does not have a page with the Terms of Service.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!