Flesh eating bacteria? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > General Interest Forums > Preparedness & Self-Reliance Forum

Notices

Preparedness & Self-Reliance Forum Survivalism, Livestock, Preparedness, Self Reliant Homesteading, Individual Liberty

Old 07-16-2019, 10:12 AM   #1
WebSlave
Flesh eating bacteria?

Flesh eating bacteria in the ocean and Gulf of Mexico? Gee, that's just great... I thought having these bouts of red tide were bad enough.

http://endoftheamericandream.com/arc...isease-in-2019

Guess I might as well pack away my snorkeling stuff for a while.

Old 07-16-2019, 10:41 AM   #2
Lucille
Unfortunately the risk is not necessarily a place (ocean) although it does seem to be cropping up in everything from ponds to oceans, but has more to do with the person (diabetes, immunosuppression, older people, etc.) Many people develop it when Strep bacteria that live on their skin makes way into the body from a cut.

Old 07-16-2019, 11:25 AM   #3
WebSlave
Well, that sure doesn't make me feel any better......

I get cut up all of the time working out in the yard. Sticker vines, grape vines, the rough back of pine tree branches, all of them conspire to take their pound of flesh scratching and clawing at me in return for me cutting them and dragging them away. Heck, I have cuts and bruises on my arms just from working on the generator trying to get to bolts, nuts, and electrical connections that the designers seemed to go out of their way to make as inaccessible as possible.

Not to mention the mosquitoes putting in their puncture wounds too. At least the yellow fly season is over with.

So yeah, I am probably doomed.....

Old 07-16-2019, 01:18 PM   #4
Lucille
Quote:
Originally Posted by WebSlave View Post
So yeah, I am probably doomed.....
I suspect not. With all the heavy physical work you do clearing stuff out and all that needs to be done with the citrus and bamboo I think you are probably in excellent physical shape. And I'm betting that Connie prevents the overconsumption of junk foods around there. Not that being in good shape is an absolute shield, but it seems that obese inactive people particularly those who smoke do not have much of a shield at all.

I have always feared that the way you would go is by being outside and a mama bear and her cubs show up and she sees you as a danger. Cartoon bears are fine but real bears are scary unless they are pretty far away.

Old 07-16-2019, 05:51 PM   #5
WebSlave
Yeah, although I do get cut and scraped up a lot, I tend to heal pretty quickly. So I'm pretty sure much of the local nature is already mixed into my bloodstream pretty well.

As for bears, never seen any young ones around here. But if I did, I would have to assume that I was in a pretty dicey situation. Probably best thing for me to do would be to just hit the deck and curl up into a fetal ball, play dead, and pray.

Old 07-16-2019, 08:22 PM   #6
E.Shell
I heard that biting off the bear's tongue is effective.

Old 07-16-2019, 10:31 PM   #7
WebSlave
Quote:
Originally Posted by E.Shell View Post
I heard that biting off the bear's tongue is effective.
I'll have to give that one a try sometime.......

Old 07-17-2019, 07:08 AM   #8
E.Shell
In Russia, men bite bear:
https://thewashingtontime.com/russia...alf-ton-beast/

Old 07-17-2019, 07:54 AM   #9
Insomniac101
Quote:
Originally Posted by WebSlave View Post
I get cut up all of the time working out in the yard.
The bacteria is just about everywhere, especially in soil!

Just make sure your tetanus vaccination is current; most healthy adults are fine with a booster every 10 years.

I was paranoid back when I had horses; I was always cutting myself, and barns are great places for the spores to hang out.

Old 07-17-2019, 09:11 AM   #10
Lucille
There are several bacteria that can be responsible for this condition and yes they are not unusual. What is unusual is the speed at which such an infection can kill.
However, to make this even more depressing, the intense medical care and hospitalization needed to battle the rapid ravages of this infection carry risks also as the fungal candida auris hospital infections, frequently fatal, continue to be on the rise.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!