Bad shed and need help - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Boas Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 07-23-2005, 12:44 PM   #1
Griz
Bad shed and need help

I have about a 8 foot GRAVID female that had her first bad shed. Most of the skin came off the bottom of her and after soaking her for an hour in lukewarm water I was able to peel off the majority of the rest on her back etc. However, I grabbed her by the head to get it off there and I just cannot tell if it's off or not. Her head appears dark in color and I know for a fact there is old skin under her mouth as I can peel that off to a certain extent. What concerns me the most is her eye caps. I took masking tape and rolled it across both of her eyes multiple times and nothing came off. I did this VERY lightly but with enough pressure that I would have thought it would have grabbed. Her eyes appear normal in appearance but there is a certain appearance on them like when your dog has a bit of gunk on their eyes. It's hard to described but I cannot tell if it's the eye caps or not. What do I do from here? I do not understand the bad shed as I knew she was getting ready to shed so I misted her twice daily and her enclosure is at 55 - 60% humidity. Do I wait for the next shed or is there something else I need to do? Thanks!

Griz

Old 07-23-2005, 01:45 PM   #2
hill4803
I use a shedding box for any snake having a bad shed. For a large boa, take a 10 or 18 gallon storage tote (sterilite or rubbermaid or whatever) and stick the snake in the tote. Get a towel & soak it in warm water, wring it out a bit and put it on top of the snake in the storage tote. Put the lid on the tote. Put the whole set up near or on a heat mat or heat source, ideally around 95+ degrees F. It should get pretty hot & humid in there, water should be condensing on the inside of the storage tote. The snake will be moving and rubbing on the towel, that will help with the shedding. Leave the snake in there for 1/2 - 1 hour and that should do it. In some cases the snake may need more time in the box. Every snake I used a shed box with has great sheds and it rehydrates them nicely!.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!