please answer! - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Other Snakes Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 07-30-2005, 07:29 PM   #1
ilovesnakes
Talking please answer!

hi,i have a small garden and meadow in my front yard which my grandma made it. i wanted to know where garter snakes are common and also where they might commonly found?

- rusty

Old 07-31-2005, 09:41 AM   #2
ms_terese
Rusty,

In my experience, they have a varied range of preferences.

I live in a very rural area of Missouri, and I find them often near the foundation of the house, underneath the back deck, and around my storage shed; probably because these spots offer an abundance of places to hide in. I also see my fair share of them on the road.

If I were you, I'd research a local wildlife publication to find out what snakes are most prevalent in your area, then keep looking around for them.

Old 07-31-2005, 10:52 AM   #3
Hillside_Herps
Thumbs up

Hi Rusty, I applaude your interest in herpitology and especially in snakes. In Florida however, as I am sure you know, enjoying snakes in their natural habitat can be very dangerous for the ill informed. I suggust you look in your phone book in the "State of Florida" section (blue section, normally) and find the Agricultural office for your area. They can send you information on the species in your area and safeguards to follow.
I lived in the Volushia County, Florida area for several years and saw several types of venemous and non-venemous snakes everywhere. You cannot get enough education on snakes. Even the smallest Pigmy Rattlesnakes are deadly....

Old 07-31-2005, 11:55 AM   #4
ilovesnakes
Talking

thanks guys your advice helped! the good thing is that i have a book of snakes of florida. it basicly tells where they can be found and where they are native i do find small ringneck snakes and they ar still pretty cool.

thanks guys, -rusty

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!