Ed Clark,don't buy frogs from him! - Page 8 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > Board of Inquiry®

Notices

Board of Inquiry® This forum is provided exclusively for the discussion of specific persons or businesses in the herp industry.

Old 09-02-2008, 02:46 AM   #71
K412
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayefbe
He's running a business, and it appears as though he's followed his terms of service to the T. He replaced a DOA and was willing to eat the shipping charges. The animal appeared healthy at arrival, and short of your after the fact belief that he picked a lethargic animal, even you were happy with the frog when it first arrived. It seems, at the very least, that it is highly unlikely that he knowingly shipped a sick frog. Compounded with the apparent problems with your cage setup, I don't see why he should be to blame for this. When you agree to purchase an animal it comes with risks, and unfortunately (whether or not it is a fault of your own), you drew the short straw. But to pin the blame on Ed in this instance seems to be fairly farfetched.
I'm not questioning whether he knew in advance that the frog was ill I'm just stating that it was. If this happened because of a bacteria that when induced by stress such as shipping kills the frog other customers need to know. If this frog had it the other frogs do as well.
That is the point of this forum right? To be used as a reference when one is considering purchasing an animal from a broker?
Maybe it seems farfetched to you but it's a reality for me.

Old 09-02-2008, 02:50 AM   #72
K412
Quote:
Another thing about the cage set-up: you stated that the wet paper towels were only due to the fact that you spilled water when placing the frog in the cage, and later you replaced them. Why is it that that in the photo of the deceased frog the paper towels appear to be thoroughly drenched?
I can't answer that. They were not drenched only damp. The flash maybe? The picture shows the loose skin/shed rests and the reddish blotch on her back. She was in the corner behind the rockpile thing when I found her.
An excess of humidity which is not the case here anyway would not kill a frog in one day.
I have one statement to make here and it's that the frog he sold me was sick.

Old 09-02-2008, 02:52 AM   #73
jayefbe
I just can't help but think that you're stretching the truth a little bit in regards to the whole cage thing. Every single picture of the cage has soaked paper towels. Pictures with no frog, with frog, and then with the dead frog. I know that excess humidity could not have killed the frog in a day, but under the circumstances, it's not fair to just put all the blame on Ed.

Old 09-02-2008, 02:55 AM   #74
K412
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Clark
You have no new messages · fChat

Inbox Sentbox Outbox Savebox

Fat Frogs Forums Forum Index
Inbox :: Message
To: ed clark
Posted: 2 Aug 14, 2008 10:17 pm
Subject: I'm sorry Ed. I'm a shitty keeper.

I went to check on him after I put the crickets in and he was behind the rock thing dead in the corner. I had totally left him alone but I guess I stressed the shit out of him the first day. There was a milky fluid between his body and what looked like a shed. The yellow tinges weren't visible I only saw them in the pictures.
I'm not going to keep frogs anymore I PROMISE. I can't tell you how sorry I am that I killed your pretty frog. I am sorry that I wasted his life and your time. Rest assured it won't happen again, I probably won't even keep the ones I have. I'm not meant to keep them I guess.
I'm not gonna be on this forum anymore either. I'm too embarrassed and there are a few members here who would think it was funny. Please don't be angry with me but if you are I totally understand.

All times are GMT - 4 Hours

Jump to: Select a forum Frogs and Toads----------------Pac-man/Horned FrogsPyxie/African BullfrogsBudgett's FrogsToadsOther Amphibians General----------------Other PetsWatering HoleIntroductions Marketplace----------------Testimonials/ReviewsHeads Up

Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2002 phpBB Group
subLime theme by Scott Stubblefield
I have already stated that I was very upset when I found her deceased. After I put her in the refrigerator I went to the computer and sent this to Ed.
I do not deny that I sent this at all.
Ed, did you see the post where I copied your pm's in return? You did not blame me then. You ignored my many attempts to contact you until I posted the situation here.
While you're here can you clear up a speculation that I have?
Did you keep the male that you liked so much and send me a different frog than the one I was promised? If so, did you send one that was hanging out on the bottom and not looking well?

Old 09-02-2008, 03:02 AM   #75
K412
Quote:
I just can't help but think that you're stretching the truth a little bit in regards to the whole cage thing. Every single picture of the cage has soaked paper towels. Pictures with no frog, with frog, and then with the dead frog. I know that excess humidity could not have killed the frog in a day, but under the circumstances, it's not fair to just put all the blame on Ed.
I never took pictures without the frog in there. The picture of the entire cage was taken with her in it. She was behind the rockpile thing in the lefthand corner. That is where she stayed until she died.
I am not stretching the truth. I have no reason to. There is nothing in this for me other than to let people know that I bought a sick frog from Ed Clark.
All of the pictures were taken in the same hour.
The first ones that I took were of her in the water bowl soaking. The second is when I put her on the shelf to warm up. I left her alone for no more than 45 minutes while I took a bath and came back into my room. That is when I took the picture of the whole tank. She was in the corner behind the rockpile.
I removed the soaked paper towels after my shower when I was clean. I did wash my hands after I cut the box open before I removed her from the deli cup. I know to wash my hands before and after handling my frogs. I know that is the order that I did things because I threw out those paper towels along with the trash from my bathroom and bedroom and continued on with my day.

Old 09-02-2008, 03:04 AM   #76
Ed Clark
Does anyone know how fast bacteria can build up in a dead and decomposing frog in 90* plus heat?

The frog I gave to Kelly as a replacement was the only one I had left and it was one I was going to keep for myself, it was flawless and perfect.

I wanted her to have something nice, she did not have the knowledge to provide proper care and it died.

Old 09-02-2008, 03:13 AM   #77
K412
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Clark
Does anyone know how fast bacteria can build up in a dead and decomposing frog in 90* plus heat?

The frog I gave to Kelly as a replacement was the only one I had left and it was one I was going to keep for myself, it was flawless and perfect.

I wanted her to have something nice, she did not have the knowledge to provide proper care and it died.
How could bacteria build up in a dead and decomposing frog that was refirgerated in such a short period of time after it dies? My fridge is pretty cold Ed. Lettuce freezes if I put it in the bottom drawer.
If it was the only one that you had left how did you post this?
http://fatfrogs.7.forumer.com/viewtopic.php?t=7058
This was on August 15, 2008. Look at the dates Ed. It doesn't mesh with what you're saying at all. How did you take pictures of frogs that you didn't have?
I sent lots of pm's to you beginning in June when you offered me the frog. I sent lots of pm's to Lars and ILOVEGREEN mostly about taking care of them months before I got her from you and they are both very knowledgable and gave me great advice. Big question now is if it was the only one that you had left than surely you knew it was a female right? Why say time and again that it was male?

Old 09-02-2008, 03:18 AM   #78
K412
Actually Ed, third post down you say that at times you have into the 100's of these frogs.
August 29, 2008 you posted 2 more pictures of different aussies in that thread.

Old 09-02-2008, 03:32 AM   #79
K412
Another thought about bacteria buildup. How would it get into a frog's lungs if it wasen't breathing?

Old 09-02-2008, 03:51 AM   #80
Seamus Haley
Frogs don't... hide illnesses, as a rule. An active infection that's damaging the heath of the animal is pretty apparant in a very short time frame. I have no idea where this "they hide illnesses" stuff is coming from but it's blatantly untrue.

The stress placed on an animal by the shipping process and whatever handling or environmental conditions it is experiencing can cause a relatively passive bacteria load to turn into something more agressive and unchecked, but this would not have been apparant to Ed at the time of shipping and the frog would not be visibly sick.

Tissue breakdown in amphibians is extremely rapid after death, a necropsy isn't worthless but it is certainly worth less than it is for other types of animals. Inherently predisposed towards being less accurate to begin with, the second round of shipping and unknown timelines and conditions make the validity of firm conclusions questionable.

Humidity is water that is present in vapor form in the air. It is possible for an enclosure to be wet- covered in liquid- but still not humid. One does naturally link to the other but they are not automatically mutually inclusive, it's just very probable that the humidity was above the normal range for keeping the species. That said, soaking wet is worse than too humid when it comes to bacterial blooms, fungal growth, a reabsorbtion of waste matter through the skin, the spreading of various household chemical toxins and so on.

While it's not as good as a firsthand inspection, she looks to be in decent health from what was photographed in the shots upon arrival. Timpanic roll is within a healthy range, not obese but far from underweight, no discoloration or heavy sloughing of the waxy cuticle, clean clear eyes, nose and mouth, no visible abrasions, normal posture and body position for a whites that's awake and horizontal.

I wish there was a copy regarding how you inquired about the gender- the wording of Ed's PMed response seems to indicate that it was a response to a question and he qualified his answer with the reasoning behind the determination. The females very, very rarely call and it's widely considered to be an acceptabally accurate (while falling lower than 100%) method of casual sexing for the species.

Out of curiosity, how many frogs have died under the care of the thread starter out of how many owned? Which species have died, after how long and in what conditions?

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Tags
ed clark