Morph question???? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Cornsnakes & Ratsnakes Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 03-06-2011, 09:10 PM   #1
gluttony
Morph question????

I am fairly new to this color morph breeding thing, needless to say I am astounded by the many color combos that are possible. I ususally just breed normal looking snakes. But my kids like the colorful variety of corns, so now I have some in our collection. So if I am informed correctly, an "Oak Phase" is the product of a "Miami/hypo/crimson" or easier how would I get "Oak phase" if I had a pair of "Miamis', 1 male Hypo, & a female Crimson...and what do the various hets that they have mean? Will it affect the end result in obtaining Oak phases.

Old 03-06-2011, 10:31 PM   #2
TripleMoonsExotic
Do you perhaps mean Okeetee? If so, it is in no way related to do Miami, Hypo or Crimson. A Miami is selectively bred for a silver base with burgundy saddles while Crimson is a Hypo Miami (Hypo being recessive). Okeetees are selectively bred for a vibrant orange base and thick black borders. You would never get Okeetees from Miamis.

Old 03-06-2011, 10:55 PM   #3
gluttony

I know Okeetee's and they are nice looking snakes. Oak phase is a line derived from Miamis and crimsons, they originated through VMS herp. I happen to have a crimson from his line and also some other morphs of his stock, I also have a pair of Miamis...Im a little lost in he genetic make up of the this morph though. www.vmsherp.com

Old 03-06-2011, 11:07 PM   #4
TripleMoonsExotic
If you read VMS's website, "Oak" is just their name for their particular line of Miami. So it's a selectively bred Miami (which is selectively bred to begin with). Being that's the case, no, you won't produce those by just pairing Miamis, Crimsons and/or Hypos. You would need to have VMS's line of Miamis as those would be the only ones that could be called "Oak" if that's widely accepted (I've never heard of it).

Hypo x Crimson (Miami Hypo)
=
Hypos - some could possibly look like Crimsons, but by breeding the Crimson to a non-Miami, you are diluting the original look gained from selective breeding

Old 03-06-2011, 11:57 PM   #5
gluttony
Since it is a selectivley bred Miami...If I bred my Crimson who is 50 percent het for amel and VMS stock to a regular Miami BHB line whos hets im awaiting on a reply for, the clutch would be regular Miamis het for crimson? The reason I ask is because crimsons r red in the blotches and mine looks more orange in color.

Old 03-07-2011, 12:07 AM   #6
TripleMoonsExotic
Quote:
Originally Posted by gluttony View Post
Since it is a selectivley bred Miami...If I bred my Crimson who is 50 percent het for amel and VMS stock to a regular Miami BHB line whos hets im awaiting on a reply for, the clutch would be regular Miamis het for crimson? The reason I ask is because crimsons r red in the blotches and mine looks more orange in color.
Unless VMS specifically sold you that Miami as an Oak, you really should not call it an Oak (or expect to produce Oaks from it). To avoid confusion, they should have left it named what it is, a Miami, instead of renaming their own line. It's just going to cause confusion.

Miami's (and Crimson's since they're Hypo Miamis) are highly variable because they are selectively bred. Some will have the desired silver base with red saddles while others have a tan base and/or orange saddles. Carol Huddleston has the best Miami's you will ever see as she has been working on perfecting the morph for years.

Miami x Crimson (Hypo Miami)
=
Miami's het Hypo

Old 03-07-2011, 12:30 AM   #7
gluttony
whoa

At no point in any of my posts did I mention that any of my snakes where Oak phase. I merely asked if it was possible to breed them with the animals that I have...forgive me for not being an expert on the subject.

Old 03-07-2011, 12:47 AM   #8
TripleMoonsExotic
The first paragraph of my last post was in reference to your first two posts in this thread (which references having "a crimson from his line"), expecting to produce Oaks. Some of it was also myself thinking out loud about "Oak" in general. I have provided several links for you to check out photos and learn more about Miami in general.

Nothing I said was cause to use profanity, however. Responding to people in that manner won't get you very far on the forums.

Good luck with your snakes.

Old 03-07-2011, 01:11 AM   #9
gluttony

The profanity was not directed at you, Its just how I am, talk and type for that matter. In your last post it seemed as though you thought I said I had an Oak..and you also pointed out that vms is causing confusion by renaming their Miamis...Which is why i posted on here a simple question and in turn you elaborated on and your thoughts were appreciated and still are. Forgive me for being on the offensive Im just used to being so. This forum is just full of know it alls and people pushing their views and practices via posts and crucify you if you do things differently or arent up to speed with a herpetologists education. Again im sorry..i was just offended at the moment.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!