My Little Secret - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > General Herp Talk

Notices

General Herp Talk Can't figure out where to post down in the other discussion forums? Too many options and too complicated? Well post your herp related messages here and to heck with it.

Old 04-14-2006, 02:39 PM   #1
Junkyard
My Little Secret

Something that I like to do to keep records is to label my boxes and cages. I think a Sharpie is a great tool. I can label any box or tank, weather it is glass or plastic it does not matter. If there is something that I am wanting to keep track of I can write it on the box or tank. I cannot lose what I wrote, it does not smear. The best part, when I am done, I can easily use rubbing alcohol and wipe it right off and I have a clean slate to use again.

I find this is better for me than using cards taped to the box as I always seem to tear those off to easily. If I were to use a computer I would forget to fill it in, even if I kept track in a notebook, I would still forget. Notebooks I lose too easily(I buy a lot of Sharpies), I have a habit of forgetting were I put it last. Later on I will combine the data onto the computer; like when I need to clean the slate, move the animal, or sell the animal. This way, the info stays with the animal.

What little secrets are you hiding?

Old 04-15-2006, 10:26 PM   #2
dragonflyreptiles
Very cool, I wish I could do that, well I could but Im kinda lazy lol

I have extra bins so I rotate them. I move the reptiles to clean bins while I cleaning the current bin. Then move them to the last cleaned bins for the next cleaning

Old 04-16-2006, 12:52 AM   #3
Dennis Hultman
I write all over my tubs with a blue sharpie.
I do use index cards and a program. My cards are always up to date, not so much with the PC program. As Wendy, I have extra tubs but each duplicate tub is numbered with a blue sharpie to correspond with the tub it is replacing for cleaning. The same snake always uses the same two tubs.

Old 04-16-2006, 02:12 AM   #4
HerpLuver
On each of my tubs, i cut a square white peice of unlined paper and write numbers for each tub. I then laminate them to the tub with scotch tape. Most of my animals names are "15", "29", "2", etc... But when an animal is sold, or is no longer in my possession, i remove the sticker and put a new one on there for the next animal to have that home.

Thing is, all the laminated numbers i have removed, are STILL here. I have them all stuck in an organized pile. It's like a badge of remembrance, like "I remember 26, she had some really beautiful blushing, never bit me either.."

Also, i have a 28 qt custom made rack that i have duplicate tubs for that came from a boaphile rack im no longer using lol.

Old 04-16-2006, 02:44 AM   #5
Dennis Hultman
Quote:
Originally Posted by Junkyard
I find this is better for me than using cards taped to the box as I always seem to tear those off to easily.
I keep them on the shelf beside each tub instead of taping. They stay clean that way.

Old 04-16-2006, 03:08 AM   #6
PaulSage
I couldn't survive without my $28 laminating machine from walmart, fine-point Sharpies, and big ol' paper cutter. Everyone gets a laminated, pre-printed ID card that I fill out with the Sharpie, and I tape them to the tub. I can just peel the tape off the tub and stick it on a different one when it's cleaning/moving day. Excel spreadsheets on a clipboard keep track of the details, and periodically I update the computer file with whatever info I add to the spreadsheets.

That's not really a secret though. My "Little Secret" is that I use a RO/DI unit to fill the sprayer and spray bottles. No mo water spots from all the misting!

ps, Dennis, I never would have guessed you write in BLUE.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!