Collection update; brown phase cornutas - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Amphibian Discussion Forum

Notices

Amphibian Discussion Forum General talk about amphibians of any type.

Old 05-08-2017, 08:04 PM   #1
Bart
Collection update; brown phase cornutas

These guys are coming along nicely.. When I got them they were about nickel size and now the smaller is almost 2in and the bigger is over 3in. Enjoy the shots and let me know what you think..

This is the bigger of the 2..

And the smaller guy

Old 05-08-2017, 08:36 PM   #2
Dyscophus antongilii
Okay, I love brown phase C. cornuta. So, seeing them "all grown up" has made my night.

How long did it take them to grow from the size of a Nickel to the two (2) to three (3) inches they are now? What did you feed them, in order to "grow them so quickly"?

Thanks for sharing.

Old 05-08-2017, 09:04 PM   #3
Bart
Glad you enjoy the pics.. I got these guys 3/7/17 so almost exactly 2 months.
I feed a staple of Canadian nightcrawlers with calcium once a wk and a multivitamin once a wk. I think my frogs are doing so well in part because of the food and vitamins but also because of the care I provide. Their temps and humidity are checked very frequently and maintained in the ideal range with rarely a slip in either. Also regular warm soaks for the frogs, once a wk when I change the substrate. Also I handle my frogs frequently, I take them out of their enclosures at least every other day, for feeding. So I think if you have the habitats dialed in right and offer the right food and supplements then they are hard to stress out, but that just my 2 cents.

Old 05-09-2017, 12:29 PM   #4
Bart
Here are a couple videos..
The first is from yesterday and the second is from a month ago.

https://youtu.be/LFQcKnV9ULM

https://youtu.be/ZFwJ_FNQ5J0

Old 05-09-2017, 08:32 PM   #5
Dyscophus antongilii
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bart View Post
Glad you enjoy the pics.. I got these guys 3/7/17 so almost exactly 2 months.
Wow, they got really large, in just two short months.

Quote:
I feed a staple of Canadian nightcrawlers with calcium once a wk and a multivitamin once a wk.
Hopefully, you do not mind, if, I enquire about the brand of calcium supplement you use. Plus, the vitamin supplement you use too.

Personally I use, Rep-Cal and Herptivite (http://www.repcal.com/supp.htm).

Do you "cut up" the Canadian Nightcrawlers into "bite size pieces"? Or, do you have another method? Again, hopefully, you do not mind sharing.

I have only had C. crawnelli and C. ornata. Currently, the only only Horned Frog I own is a male C. crawnwelli.

Quote:
I think my frogs are doing so well in part because of the food and vitamins but also because of the care I provide.
I am sure your expert care is very helpful. I did NOT mean to imply otherwise. I am sorry, if, my posts earlier came out inappropriately.

Quote:
Their temps and humidity are checked very frequently and maintained in the ideal range with rarely a slip in either.
Judging from how quickly they are growing, you definitely seem to have your parameters "perfect". Now, for my next set of stupid question, what are the ideal temperatures and ideal humidity for this species in captivity?

Quote:
Also regular warm soaks for the frogs, once a wk when I change the substrate.
Ahh I see. Is that for proper hydration and defecation? If not, might I ask why you soak them weekly.

Quote:
Also I handle my frogs frequently, I take them out of their enclosures at least every other day, for feeding.
I find that very interesting, since, I was always under the impression you should handle frogs, as little as possible. Well, any Amphibian species really.

Quote:
So I think if you have the habitats dialed in right and offer the right food and supplements then they are hard to stress out, but that just my 2 cents.
Clearly, in my humble opinion, you are onto something. So, I completely agree with you.

Quote:
Here are a couple videos..
The first is from yesterday and the second is from a month ago.

https://youtu.be/LFQcKnV9ULM

https://youtu.be/ZFwJ_FNQ5J0
I loved both video's. I also found your choice of background music soothing.

Old 05-10-2017, 12:44 PM   #6
Bart
I use zilla multivitamin and calcium in the liquid form. When you try to coat nightcrawlers in powdered vitamin it makes this doughy gunk that my frogs hated so I switched to the liquid and had no issues since. When they were under an inch I cut the nightcrawlers but now even my smallest will eat 2 full sized crawlers almost every feeding.
You didn't come off in any way, no worries. I just like to really stress the importance of the care for these guys.. 9 times out of 10 if you are having a problem with your ceratophrys it's because of either heating, humidity or cleanliness issues.
I've found temp wise 81-84 perfect during the day, most I've read say 80-82 but more heat promotes better digestion and seems to really work well for my ceratophrys. Night time temps 76-78, I find it harder to maintain these as I'm sleeping during those hrs lol. And humidity is 85%for cornuta and 80% for aurita, don't let slip lower than 70 for any longer than an hr or so.
As far as the soaks you got it.. Plus I always like them to poo before they go in the freshly cleaned habitat and the soaks help. When I say handle I don't necessarily mean by hand, though I do pick them up from time to time, I mostly just use a spoon to get them into a transport container in between their habitat and feeding containers. I mean that they are regularly moved out of their habitat and have a lot of time with me. I only mention this because I always hear you have to leave them alone and not disturb them. As I said I think if your care is dialed in they are much harder to stress out than most think.
Hope I answered all your questions. And thanks for the intrest and kind words for my collection

Old 05-11-2017, 10:59 PM   #7
Dyscophus antongilii
Quote:
I use zilla multivitamin and calcium in the liquid form.
Thank you, for sharing the multivitamin and calcium supplement you use.

Quote:
When you try to coat nightcrawlers in powdered vitamin it makes this doughy gunk that my frogs hated so I switched to the liquid and had no issues since.
Ahh I see. In my humble opinion, that does make perfect sense. I have never used nightcrawler as part of a base diet for a juvenile amphibian. So, I have never encountered that "problem" personally.

Quote:
When they were under an inch I cut the nightcrawlers but now even my smallest will eat 2 full sized crawlers almost every feeding.
Wow, that is pretty dang nifty. I would love to see pictures/videos of that. If you ever have the inclination and or time.

Quote:
You didn't come off in any way, no worries.
Thanks so much. Since, I always worry about how I come off via the written word. Most of all, when, the majority/only form of communication I have with a person is via writing in some form or another.

Quote:
I just like to really stress the importance of the care for these guys..
I can see why. Since, you have been so success with various Ceratophrys.

Quote:
9 times out of 10 if you are having a problem with your ceratophrys it's because of either heating, humidity or cleanliness issues.
I am sure you are completely correct. Since, you have had great successful with the "more complicated/rarer/harder to keep" species in the genus Ceratophrys.

Quote:
I've found temp wise 81-84 perfect during the day, most I've read say 80-82 but more heat promotes better digestion and seems to really work well for my ceratophrys.
I suspect you are completely correct. Thank you, for sharing that information with me.

Quote:
Night time temps 76-78, I find it harder to maintain these as I'm sleeping during those hrs lol.
LOL, me and you both. However, on a serious note, thank you again for sharing that information with me.

Quote:
And humidity is 85%for cornuta and 80% for aurita, don't let slip lower than 70 for any longer than an hr or so.
I see, thank you again for that information. How do you manage to keep such a high humidity constantly?

Quote:
As far as the soaks you got it..
I have to be right occasionally.

Quote:
Plus I always like them to poo before they go in the freshly cleaned habitat and the soaks help.
As usual, your care and management plans make perfect sense.

Quote:
When I say handle I don't necessarily mean by hand, though I do pick them up from time to time, I mostly just use a spoon to get them into a transport container in between their habitat and feeding containers.
So, I know that I am about to sound crazier then normal, but, I would love love love to see picture's of them in the spoon you use for transporting them.

Quote:
I mean that they are regularly moved out of their habitat and have a lot of time with me.
If I had your specimens, I would want to spend a lot of time with them too.

Quote:
I only mention this because I always hear you have to leave them alone and not disturb them.
Me and you BOTH! That is why I was asking you certain question. Other times, I just like to be inquisitive.

Quote:
As I said I think if your care is dialed in they are much harder to stress out than most think.
You have completely proved that statement to be correct. In my humble opinion anyway. Plus, how much you have gotten your specimens to grow in just two months.

Quote:
Hope I answered all your questions.
You have. I most definitely appreciate it. I have asked you more questions. Hopefully you do not mind. If all my questions ever bother you please tell me. I promise to stop immediately.

Quote:
And thanks for the intrest and kind words for my collection
No problem. Thanks so much for sharing your collection with me. It makes me drool heavily.

Old 05-13-2017, 12:18 AM   #8
Jawsofafrog
Looking really fatty! Your 3 inch frog has nice horns and is big! My last Cornuta was 4 inches.. I know my two will get three inches in know time!

Old 05-13-2017, 12:42 AM   #9
Bart
Ya he/she is growing super fast.. I like how it's right horn, left in pics, is almost straight up. Wish the other one was the same way. I've seen a lot of cornutas from Japan that have horns that are straight up, looks really good. I wonder what their secret is cause I've not really seen it in U.S. cbs or in wc specimans.

Old 05-13-2017, 01:22 AM   #10
Jawsofafrog
I think it is just genetics from the frog's parents that cause the horns to grow a certain way. Not all aurita horns are the same as well, frogranch has a male specimen with different horns pictured on the website.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!