hypoaspis miles or predatory mites - Page 2 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Veterinarian Practice & General Health Issues

Notices

Veterinarian Practice & General Health Issues Anything to do with veterinarians, health issues, pathogens, hygiene, or sanitation.

Old 12-22-2009, 08:59 PM   #11
Keith N
I have checked the tracking number they emailed me and they ship from Ontario, CA. and it has arrived in Philly on its way down. They should be here tomorrow and I will post content pics and other useful info that comes in tomorrow. Then the real fun begins, eat that mites!

Old 12-23-2009, 07:22 PM   #12
Keith N
They arrived at about 3:00 this afternoon. The first photo is the tube they were shipped in. Its about 1 1/2" diameter and about 12" long. The directions are as follows:
1.Release mites at sundown within 1 week of arrival
2. Water the soil at least 2 hours before releasing the mites.
3. Gently rotate the canister to distribute the mites evenly within the canister. Next, open the screw top in the plant area, remove the filter paper, re-secure the screw top and gently tap them out of the shaker canister through the small holes evenly onto the slighlt damp growing area.
4. Leave the canister and filter paper at the site of release for 24 hours to ensure all mites have been released.
5. Then you can store the balance of the mites for the next release.
Sounds pretty simple to me so about the time the lights are to go off I will sprinkle them around the floor of the terrarium.

Old 12-23-2009, 07:24 PM   #13
Keith N
I have emptied a little into a bowl so you can see the medium that they arrive in. I looked closely but could not see anything. Looks like a bunch of dirt to me. Maybe its like the flea circus haha

Old 12-28-2009, 09:55 PM   #14
Helenthereef
I'd guess that these are eggs, seeing as you can store unused residue for future use. Maybe only hatch when wet. It's very interesting, please keep posting.

Old 12-28-2009, 10:14 PM   #15
TheFragginDragon
I think you'll be pleased with the results....I used predatory mites to clear up an infestation of a boa cage about 10 years back (and treated all the rest of my cages at the same time), and there wasn't a single mite to be found after treatment, furthermore they never came back. The predatory mites just die when there's nothing more to eat.

I ordered from the same place you did btw.

Old 01-01-2010, 03:23 AM   #16
Keith N
I've been observing for a week and I notice a substantial reduction in the amount of mites I see. It looks like by guess that well over half are gone although I still cannot make a judgement on how well its working yet.

Old 01-01-2010, 03:33 AM   #17
Helenthereef
Good result - John (Fraggin Dragon) - when you used this kind of mite, did you feel happy that they died off completely once the food supply ran out, or did you sterlize the litter/environment?

Old 01-01-2010, 12:38 PM   #18
TheFragginDragon
I was fine with just going back to normal maintenance of the cages (weekly change of substrate and normal spot cleaning) after the treatment was finished. I still kept a close eye for any mite presence, but couldn't find any days and weeks after.

Old 01-04-2010, 08:38 PM   #19
partyboy6686
Have any of you guys ever used a Hot Shot No Pest Strip before? You can buy them at Home Depot or Lowes. Every time ive had mites i get one of these and throw it in the cage and im mite free in 24-48 hours. I always put the No Pest Strip in a tupperware container that has holes drilled in it. I do that so that the animal can not lick the No Pest Strip. And after your done with it you can put it in a zip lock bag. There good for 4 months. i hope this advice helps you guys in the future.

Thanks
Brandon

Old 01-04-2010, 08:54 PM   #20
Helenthereef
What is the active ingredient?

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!