I need help from fellow ball python owners please - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Veterinarian Practice & General Health Issues

Notices

Veterinarian Practice & General Health Issues Anything to do with veterinarians, health issues, pathogens, hygiene, or sanitation.

Old 07-11-2013, 07:59 PM   #1
Jeremcy
I need help from fellow ball python owners please

I recently purchased a super pastel Male from a local breeder. I was told his DOB was june 3rd 2013. I bought him on june 31st. I was told he was feeding on live hoppers every 5-7 days. since bringing him home he has not eaten. I house my balls in glass vivariums because i do not agree with rack systems, i keep the temperatures and humidity correct and he has multiple hides on each end of the tank. I know they need time to acclimate before feeding but the problem is he is Extremely skinny. At over a month old he is only 58 grams which seems alarming to me when i know hatchlings weigh more. He has refused my first 3 attempts, live hopper and pinky each terrified him, as well as a f/t fuzzy left overnight all with no success, each attempt 3 days apart. I know i should have waited longer in between but as i said his weight seemed alarming to me and i have never had a problem feeder so my worry got the best of me. I don't know what to do. Am i worrying to soon? He shows no sign of illness or RI other than how skinny he is. He seems very active otherwise and explores his tank but i really want him to start eating and I don't want to assist feed especially if I've already stressed him out. Any and all advice is appreciated- thank you.

Old 07-11-2013, 08:13 PM   #2
Focal
He sounds like he is stressed from the transition and not yet acclimated. I know you said you don't agree with tubs, but I would suggest trying it if that's what the breeder was using; at least until he is at a healthy weight. They need quite a bit of security and cover at that age. He's not exploring his cage, he may be trying to escape for a more secure place to hide. The extra activity may be assisting in his weight loss.

Old 07-11-2013, 08:20 PM   #3
Jeremcy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Focal View Post
He sounds like he is stressed from the transition and not yet acclimated. I know you said you don't agree with tubs, but I would suggest trying it if that's what the breeder was using; at least until he is at a healthy weight. They need quite a bit of security and cover at that age. He's not exploring his cage, he may be trying to escape for a more secure place to hide. The extra activity may be assisting in his weight loss.
I would think that changing his surroundings again may stress him out more? I know they need to feel secure i have crumpled newspaper in his tank along with lots of hides and 3/4ths of the sides are covered.But i may try your advice what size tub would you suggest?

Old 07-11-2013, 08:29 PM   #4
Jeremcy
One last thing - i am not a breeder so i have not owned enough BP's and as i said never had a problem feeder. i know they have a picky eater rep but i would be astounded if he simply let himself starve to death, but is this a possible reality ? Id like to think he will Eventually take prey..

Old 07-11-2013, 08:47 PM   #5
Focal
I would contact the breeder and find out what he/she was using. If not, I would try a 6qt shoebox on paper towel or newspaper. I have better luck using hides that fit them snugly.

Old 07-11-2013, 08:53 PM   #6
Jeremcy
Quote:
I would contact the breeder and find out what he/she was using. If not, I would try a 6qt shoebox on paper towel or newspaper. I have better luck using hides that fit them snugly.
I will switch him into one asap, i was concerned that since i started him with one set up that it was too late to switch but i have no choice since hes not eating.

Old 07-11-2013, 08:58 PM   #7
Focal
Give him a few days of privacy after switching him too. I leave the rodent on the opposite side of the cage and leave it in overnight. He will find it if he wants it.

I just double checked the DOB and I think you are still within a safe window, especially if he has already had meals. Some of my hatchlings won't eat until nearly six weeks after emerging. Sometimes longer.

Old 07-11-2013, 09:09 PM   #8
Jeremcy
Quote:
Give him a few days of privacy after switching him too. I leave the rodent on the opposite side of the cage and leave it in overnight. He will find it if he wants it.

I just double checked the DOB and I think you are still within a safe window, especially if he has already had meals. Some of my hatchlings won't eat until nearly six weeks after emerging. Sometimes longer.
The rodent you leave over night is this live ft or fresh killed? I dont know this breeder well so while i have no reason to doubt him theres always the possibility he has never taken food either, he was listed for sale as 'clearence' I appreciate your help and quick responses.

Old 07-12-2013, 08:17 AM   #9
Focal
No problem. If he is in need of food, I would try live and a rodent small enough not to cause harm to the snake.

Old 07-13-2013, 09:38 PM   #10
Jeremcy
I have switched him to a small tub with a hide and water bowl. It still seems like he is trying awfuly hard to escape and is not comfortable even though the tub is very small. I have the sides covered as well.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!