Please help diagnose my Ball Python. - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Veterinarian Practice & General Health Issues

Notices

Veterinarian Practice & General Health Issues Anything to do with veterinarians, health issues, pathogens, hygiene, or sanitation.

Old 05-13-2006, 12:53 PM   #1
SVT Snake
Please help diagnose my Ball Python.

Recently I noticed that one of my BP's nostrils looked like it was still covered with a scale. I didn't really think it was a big deal but it now looks inflamed and it seems that the scales are raised around the nostril hole. I can't really even tell that there is a hole there anymore. He was a very aggressive eater but has stopped eating.

What could it be? Pictures below.
Attached Images

Old 05-13-2006, 01:04 PM   #2
Bill & Amy
Is there any wheezing or labored breathing when handling? Is there any bubbles present when you open his mouth? What are the temps in his enclosure?

Old 05-13-2006, 01:16 PM   #3
esoteric-lizard
try giving him a nice warm soak. then pull the dry scales off.

it is common for ball pythons to go off feed for no particular reason... in fact it is very natural.

thats my 2 cents.

~ brian

Old 05-14-2006, 08:26 AM   #4
SVT Snake
Bill & Amy - I don't hear any wheezing or labored breething but he does sound like he is hissing sometimes. I also noticed that a "clicking" noise the he makes sometimes but I'm not sure if it is related to his breathing or not. There are no bubbles in his mouth when opened.

The air temperature in his enclosure is about 76* but there is a heat pad under one side of the cabe. The area with the heat pad is about 86*.

esoteric-lizard - I already tried soakin him but it's not leftover shed on there. It's his actual scales that seem to be inflamed.

Old 05-14-2006, 08:27 AM   #5
SVT Snake
Oops.....tried saokin him......should read "tried soaking him"

Old 05-14-2006, 10:06 AM   #6
Bill & Amy
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVT Snake
Bill & Amy - I don't hear any wheezing or labored breething but he does sound like he is hissing sometimes. I also noticed that a "clicking" noise the he makes sometimes but I'm not sure if it is related to his breathing or not. There are no bubbles in his mouth when opened.

The air temperature in his enclosure is about 76* but there is a heat pad under one side of the cabe. The area with the heat pad is about 86*.

esoteric-lizard - I already tried soakin him but it's not leftover shed on there. It's his actual scales that seem to be inflamed.
I think he might have the beginnings of a minor RI. Your temps could stand to be bumped up, cool side 82 degrees and warm side 90-95 degrees. Be sure to maintain your humidity between 50-60%. You may want to make a vet appointment to have hime checked, but get those temps up right away!!! Keep us updated.

Old 05-14-2006, 10:18 AM   #7
SVT Snake
Gotcha. Bringing up the temps now.

Old 05-14-2006, 10:45 AM   #8
esoteric-lizard
is there any discharge from the inflamed site?

how are the gums under where the inflammation is? really look around the gums and mouth... there are a many sinus cavities that could track infection.

watch it like a hawk, i'd say if gets any worse then you should take it to a GOOD Herp vet.

is it wc or cbb?

try betadine soaks and see it that helps. do one 5 parts water to 1 part betadine.

Old 05-14-2006, 11:35 AM   #9
Bill & Amy
Quote:
Originally Posted by esoteric-lizard
is there any discharge from the inflamed site?

how are the gums under where the inflammation is? really look around the gums and mouth... there are a many sinus cavities that could track infection.

watch it like a hawk, i'd say if gets any worse then you should take it to a GOOD Herp vet.

is it wc or cbb?

try betadine soaks and see it that helps. do one 5 parts water to 1 part betadine.
From the picture it looks like dried discharge around the nostril.

I don't know if I would try to "soak" the area as much as clean with a q-tip or something.

Old 05-14-2006, 12:08 PM   #10
esoteric-lizard
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVT Snake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill & Amy
From the picture it looks like dried discharge around the nostril.

I don't know if I would try to "soak" the area as much as clean with a q-tip or something.
i thought the same thing too bill... but lets give warner the benifit of the doubt and assume her already tried to clean it off.

there is nothing wrong with a good warm soak... and the only thing a Q-tip might be good for is to apply a topical oinment. i believe dried mucus is solubale in water... as he already soaked the snake and nothing came off. if it in fact inflammation from under the scale there could be something going on in the sinus cavities... dont you think?

warner is there any noticeable swelling... like that side of the face is larger than the other? how are the teeth and gums?

whatever it is i think that you have already won half the battle by raising your temps... always a good idea when you suspect your snake of being sick.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!