Help with sick Ball python- skin thing - Page 2 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Veterinarian Practice & General Health Issues

Notices

Veterinarian Practice & General Health Issues Anything to do with veterinarians, health issues, pathogens, hygiene, or sanitation.

Old 12-19-2006, 09:33 AM   #11
hhmoore
I almost commented on the pine oils - but, quite frankly, I'm not convinced it would have that type of impact. Generally the effect is respiratory irritation, (and I think I remember hearing about a couple of cases of neurologic issues). Of course, it is also possible that this started in the previous enclosure...in which case it should improve significantly with the shed. Another possibility is that there is some other underlying infection, and that this is merely a secondary symptom.

Old 12-19-2006, 09:36 AM   #12
Mike Greathouse
Daniel,
It would be a reasonable conclusion to draw that he is suffering from an adverse effect of the new enclosure. Pine oils can present problems. I would suggest that you get him out of the new tank immediately until you can determine the source of the problem.

Were there any symptoms prior to the cage change?

Old 12-19-2006, 09:39 AM   #13
hhmoore
Also, I have used pine bark & mulch sporadically over the years and never had a problem associated with it. Of course, unlike wood (board) and shavings, these are generally stored outside and get enough water passed through them over time to reduce the aromatic oils.

Old 12-19-2006, 09:39 AM   #14
Elfmaze
should i remove the yearling as well and put them both in the quarenteen tank for now? She seems to be doing extreemly well right now. but she was extreemly upset last night being alone in the tank(trying doubly hard to excape). Once i seal the wood it should be ok for there return correct?

Old 12-19-2006, 09:58 AM   #15
Mike Greathouse
Daniel,
Yes, I would remove both of them until you can determine the problem. Just to be safe, I would also suggest that you house them separately.

I have built and used pine caging in the past without problems, but sealing them is an absolute must. I'm quoting this from memory, but I believe I used a spray version of Spar varnish. The cage was completely sealed (inside and out) allowed to dry, completely sealed again and then allowed to sit for a week to air out.

Even with this, after about two years, the cage begin to exhibit problems with moisture. I initially made 4 such cages and have already destroyed 2 of them - they just don't lend themselves well to high-humidity animals.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Old 12-19-2006, 10:05 AM   #16
Scott Ashton
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Greathouse
Daniel,
It would be a reasonable conclusion to draw that he is suffering from an adverse effect of the new enclosure. Pine oils can present problems. I would suggest that you get him out of the new tank immediately until you can determine the source of the problem.

Were there any symptoms prior to the cage change?
I'd have to agree.

Both pine and cedar contain compounds that include hydrocarbons and naphthalene. Much of the research regarding animal bedding has been centered around mammals, although there is no reason to believe that these compounds differ widely in their effect on reptile physiology as the toxic compounds found in these materials are generally well understood in terms of their pathophysiology in differentiated tissues and systems. Some research even suggests broad systemic effects including hepatic and reproductive complications.

I personally would not be comfortable using pine as an enclosure material even with deliberate and copious sealing, but I am relatively conservative when it comes to my collection.

Old 12-19-2006, 10:15 AM   #17
Elfmaze
ok so the tank needs some work. back to the snake, continue the neosporin? How bad is where hes at and how fast can it go down hill?

Old 12-19-2006, 10:27 AM   #18
Scott Ashton
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elfmaze
ok so the tank needs some work. back to the snake, continue the neosporin? How bad is where hes at and how fast can it go down hill?
Is there any blistering or just the reddish brown streaks?

Old 12-19-2006, 10:33 AM   #19
kellysballs
I have to run to work but before I go the spots on the belly look similar to scale rot. I had a ball python that had these spots on his belly which was also pinkish. I was misting the cages to help keep the humidity up and the aspen shavings were getting moist and I think thats what caused it. I disinfected the cage with a mild bleach water mix rinsed and dried the enclosure. Then I put him on paper towels and wiped his belly down with a 1/2 and 1/2 mix of clorahexaderm and water twice a day for 2 weeks. His redness went away and after his next shed you couldn't even tell that he had this issue. Call your vet let them know what is going on and they can provide you with the clorahexaderm. This is very usefull stuff to have on hand. Oh and his humidity while he was healing was at about 50 to 56%.
be back later.

Old 12-19-2006, 10:41 AM   #20
Elfmaze
the worst of the scales is that one in picture three, in the first post. i wouldn't really call it a blister yet but just a dead shrivled scale. clorahexaderm is an anti fungal. so the neosporin being an anti bacterial might be fighting the wrong thing?

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!