Help with sick Ball python- skin thing - Page 4 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Veterinarian Practice & General Health Issues

Notices

Veterinarian Practice & General Health Issues Anything to do with veterinarians, health issues, pathogens, hygiene, or sanitation.

Old 12-24-2006, 01:40 PM   #31
mrwenninger
Just a quick note--veterinarians are not being a pita when they do not give meds without seeing the pet first. By law we need active client/patient/veterinarian relationship and can lose our licenses by prescribing medications without first seeing the pet.
Michael Wenninger DVM

Old 12-29-2006, 01:32 AM   #32
Elfmaze
he hasn't gotten any worse. Still another 5 days before i can get him to see a vet. still trying to decide if i should just cancel. the sores aren't getting any worse as is. I would have been cool taking him to see the vet but none had any openings. It would have been nice if they could have at least given advice what to do untill i can make it in. Even my doctor can tell me get plenty of sleep and eat well if i have a cold. These guys straigh up said "I'm sorry we can't say a word till we've seen the pet"

Old 12-29-2006, 03:13 AM   #33
hhmoore
well, you got advice here on what to do in the meantime...but I don't think there are many that would straight up tell you NOT to keep your appt for similar reasons. We can't see the animal.
(just for the record, I think refusal to advise you on supportive husbandry is a bunch of crap. Granted it comes from the need to reduce liability, because the phone answers/appt makers are not usually the vets; and the wrong information is worse than no information because they can be blamed...but it is crap none-the-less)

Old 12-29-2006, 10:55 PM   #34
mrwenninger
Most people know to keep warm and clean while waiting for an appt. If more advice is given it can be a liability. Our office has an exotics vet on staff all days except Sundays and many emergency hospitals have exotics vets that can be called in. I don't know where you live but if you check the ARAV website you can likely find a vet in your area that has hours that are more suitable.

Old 12-31-2006, 02:11 AM   #35
jsrocket
Cool, a real DVM on fauna. Welcome, Micheal.

Folks, don't be too too pissed that he doesn't have some instant home cure.

I have worked in medicine long enough to know, that prescribing drugs, based on a phone call, is professional suicide.

So, either she takes her animal to the clinic, or tries to deal with it herself.

Fairly straightforward situation.

Old 03-19-2007, 07:03 PM   #36
Elfmaze
Well its back. Hes been on fresh reptibark in a different cage, freash water and at least 80-85*. His scale problems are back again..... And he still hasn't eaten since october. How do you get these guys off of a winter fast if this is what this is?

Old 03-19-2007, 08:53 PM   #37
Cat_72
If the temps are only 80-85 degrees, he's not going to want to eat anyway.....did you keep the original vet appointment, and if so, what did you find out?

Old 03-19-2007, 09:05 PM   #38
Elfmaze
Yeah he went to the vet right after a shed and vet said it was clearing up and no further treatment was needed. What temp should a ball python be at? i though 85 was a good ambient for them. My white lips i keep a bit warmer at 90

Old 03-19-2007, 09:08 PM   #39
Cat_72
What is the "hot spot" temp?

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!