Partial Shed - Eye Cap - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Arboreal Boas/Pythons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 04-22-2015, 12:18 AM   #1
ShadowSpark
Partial Shed - Eye Cap

My Green Tree Python was shedding in pieces this time, so I gave her a bath with the Shed-Ease, which got all the old skin off, except for one part on the top of her head, including the right eye-cap. It hasn't come off, and I've upped the humidity, so I don't know what else to do. I know that if the eye caps don't come off, the snake can have problems, so I'm worried. Any ideas?

Old 04-22-2015, 11:19 PM   #2
Pasodama
Some people like to use the scotch tape method where you take a piece of tape, tap it on something to dull the stickiness a tad, and attempt to remove the eye cap with the tape (via gentle application, to the eye, and lifting it off. Repeating if necessary).
Not my favored method but it can work.

Another option is soaking the snake.
Doing this by placing the snake in a covered plastic tub that has plenty of wads of plain (non-patterned) paper towels, in it, and is also 1/3, to half, filled with warm water (warm, not hot ... something akin to a little above lukewarm).
Along with the water, humidity will also build up in the air portion of the tub.

For the soak:

- Leave the snake, in the tub, for 30 min., so that his/her unshed skin will become soft/moist & loosen up.
- If tub has no air holes, allow some air in, by quickly lifting lid part way (and then closing, of course), every 10-15 min. or so.
- If water starts to get cold, empty some of it and replace with warm water (circulate water, with your hand, so that all water becomes warm and there are no cool spots)..
- If the snake defecates, in the tub, change out the water and paper towels.
- Check on snake (while it is in tub) periodically, & without lifting the lid, to ensure that the snake is doing well.
- Once approx. 30 min. have gone by, manually check the snake (if he/she has not, already, removed the skin, & eye caps, on his/her own) to see if the skin is loose enough for manual removal. If not, close the tub lid and leave the snake, in there, for awhile longer.
It should, eventually, get to a point where the skin does, & eye caps do, become moist/soft/loose enough for manual removal. Do this (removing the skin) with wet paper towel/s (mostly from front to back).
- Take extra care with the eyes. If eye caps do not come right off, gently rub a wet paper towel over the eye/s, repeatedly, until the cap/s does/do come off. Starting from just outside the eye and going over the entire eye to the other side of it.

Another option, when it just involves the head &/or eye caps, is a "manual soaking".
Doing this by holding the snake, itself, and wet (with warm water) paper towel/s around the head/eyes. Making sure to not block its nostrils.
Re-wetting the paper towel/s, with warm water, as needed.
This takes a little time, and some patience, while you hold the snake.
Skin & eye cap removal is the same method as used for after soaking in a tub.

Old 05-29-2015, 08:53 AM   #3
Greg Riso
I've recommended this for pretty much any skin related issues on snakes and I've never had a problem. It sounds unorthodox but it work on an eye cap issue more than once over the years. I bought a generic version of Preparation H (the ingredients MUST be the same), and just gently dabbed a little on the area affected. Do this twice daily and the eye cap will simply come off on its own.
Here's another thread where this remedy worked for a burn with no harm done!
Read the whole thing and you be the judge. It will NOT harm your animal.
http://www.faunaclassifieds.com/foru...d.php?t=103716

Old 05-29-2015, 09:34 AM   #4
ShadowSpark
Thank you for your suggestions. What ended up working was soaking a paper towel in a water/shed-ease solution, wringing it out until it was damp, then carefully rubbing the snake's head with it. She's shed once more since, and both eye caps came off fine this last time, so I'm wondering if this was just a fluke. We'll see what happens in the future. Again, thank you all for your suggestions. I'm sure my snake would thank you as well, if she was capable of understanding.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!