I have a dumb question - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Boas Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 04-27-2015, 03:21 PM   #1
LavenderBlonde
I have a dumb question

Are all boas considered boa constrictors? I'm talking rainbow boas, dumerils, ect.

Or is boa constrictor limited to the typical redtail boas?

This is probably the dumbest question yall have ever read. But I'm wondering if I just found a loophole in something, haha.

Old 04-27-2015, 03:34 PM   #2
eminart
"Boa Constrictor" refers to those snakes whose scientific names begin with "Boa Constrictor".

Old 04-27-2015, 04:06 PM   #4
hhmoore
It depends on whether you mean for the purpose of general conversation or scientific classification. For just talking to people that are not interested in snakes, a boa is a boa, regardless of the type. If you are referencing legalities, it depends on the wording. It can refer to family Boidae (meaning everything), Genus (Boa), or to Genus + species (Boa constrictor).
No, you didn't find a loophole. A law will generally be as specific, or generic, as intended...if they want it to cover everything, it likely will. The people writing them may not know squat about reptiles; but they know how to get precise information.
Even if they screw up, they'll likely play the intent of the law card. You may ultimately win that battle; but it will cost you.

Old 04-27-2015, 05:17 PM   #5
LavenderBlonde
Thanks yall. *Goes back to lurking due to embarrassment* :P

Old 04-27-2015, 06:01 PM   #6
AbsoluteApril
Quote:
Originally Posted by LavenderBlonde View Post
We've all had to ask similar questions at one point or another, don't be embarrassed, that's how we learn! My first post on a board oh so long ago was a photo of my generic common boa asking if it was a BCi or BCc.

Old 04-27-2015, 07:01 PM   #7
eminart
For the record, I just got my first boa (after keeping reptiles for 30 years) and I know very little about them. I've been reading books and asking questions for the past few weeks is the only reason I know anything at all.

Old 04-27-2015, 07:03 PM   #8
hhmoore
Quote:
Originally Posted by LavenderBlonde View Post
Nothing to be embarrassed about. You've broken the ice, and made your first post (and another!). It's easy from there. Join the party.
(Lurking for a while longer before jumping into the BOI is usually a good idea; but the discussion forums are pretty user friendly)

Old 04-27-2015, 11:35 PM   #9
Helenthereef
I don't think it's a dumb question. I keep Candoia bibroni, which is a Boa but not a Boa Constrictor - and the distinction baffles most non-herpers I know (who usually think they are Pythons anyway..... )

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!