At what age do boas stop breeding? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Boas Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 05-25-2009, 10:39 PM   #1
mxracer4life
At what age do boas stop breeding?

I just recently took in a large, roughly about 10ft female, she is around 30lbs and was born in 1992, which makes her about 18 years old. She was a pet all her life, very healthy, tame, like a big puppy dog. My question is, when do boas stop breeding? I have been told by good sources that about 10 years of age they start to drop in litter size, which I can understand, but when is too old? I will keep her has just a pet, but I thought about if she still has some time left I would like to breed her. She has an awesome looking "circle back". So, what do you guys/gals think? Thanks a lot!

Jeremy

Old 05-25-2009, 10:53 PM   #2
Randall Turner
As rough as breeding is on bigger females I tend to shy away from using them. If you do decide to give her a go she should be viable and fine (just takes alot out of em, takes alot longer to recover lost weight then the smaller girls). Good luck if you go for it.

Old 05-26-2009, 06:52 AM   #3
crotalusadamanteus
I understand Bob Harding still has some of first WC imported Hondurans into this country. They are well over 20 yrs old, and still produced a viable litter in '06. Never tried it with a girl that old myself, so I don't have any first hand experience.

Old 05-26-2009, 04:02 PM   #4
AbsoluteApril
In 2003 I bred my first boa, a large 7'+ 25lb+ virgin, when she gave birth she was 14 years old and had 34 live babies, 2 stills and 1 slug. It took her over 2 years to regain her weight (I didn't push her) and get back into a great condition. She is 20 now and I did see her 'doing the twist' (pre-ovulation swell) this year and last year, but have no plans to breed her again (it was a one time thing).

So, if it's something you want to try, go ahead and try just keep in mind that larger females take much longer to recover from birth. 10 years doesn't seem too old to me, I have a gravid 11 year old 6' female right now.

Old 05-26-2009, 04:29 PM   #5
mxracer4life
Thanks for the info! I am thinking about it, just maybe one time. She is just massive right now, if I decided to try, it would be a one time thing.

Jeremy

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!