Beginner Species? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Chameleons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 04-14-2006, 11:03 AM   #1
Rebel Dragons
Beginner Species?

For a first time cham owner, what species are the most hardy and easiest to get started?

Old 04-14-2006, 03:30 PM   #2
dragonflyreptiles
I have had good luck with very young veileds, but I have never tried to own and raise a very young panther so this is just from my own purchases.

The youngest panthers I have purchased and raised were 8 weeks old when I bought them. Although I had no problems with them I think that panthers are harder than other chameleons to take on at a young age.

I have purchased and raised 3 week old veileds and hatched and raised my own clutch of baby veileds. I personally think that Veileds are easier for beginners if you are getting them at a young vs. panthers. Veileds are also less expensive for a starter chameleon.

Old 04-17-2006, 03:59 PM   #3
JERM
I agree...

I would say veilds are probably the easiest, then maybe panthers. A couple of reasons why I say veilds on "easiest" is because of their tendency to accept a variety of foods making it easier for a newby to acquire food in their area. Also veilds seem to tolerate a larger range of temperatures than other chams making it easier to make them happy. I will also say that purchasing a chameleon that is at least 3 to 4 months or older will greatly increase the chances of its survival. I haven't had any issues raising baby panthers, they seem pretty hardy but I have kept chameleons for awhile now so it's almost second nature to me, so I can't say that they are easy to someone with no experience, but they have definitely been easier than some of the montane species that I have kept (Jacksons, Rudis, Werners). Good luck with your decision and I hope this helps.

Jerm

Old 04-18-2006, 12:29 AM   #4
zeus
I am new to chams but from what I have read Veilds are usually recommended as "starter" chams. I have started with Jackson Xanth and they are not that easy, lots of equiptment with the montane species. Hope it helps

Old 04-22-2006, 02:09 AM   #5
Will Hayward

I'd just like to dhirp in a though of mine.

I find that veileds are a very good starter, because from their more aggressive nature than many other chameleons, they will teach the keeper that less handling, is often best.

Old 04-22-2006, 08:29 AM   #6
NEWfoundHOBBY
Red face this was a forum i was about to post....weird eh?

This forum came at the exact right time, and thank you for posting those replies, it narrowed down the search

I also replied here for one big reason- I want the low-down.
Dragonfly, you seem to know alot about chams, and you have been on most of these forums, so i am wondering if you or any other expirienced cham keeper could tell me everything a young vieled would need. This will surely be a test of your knowledge....

And whoever gives me that info could you please send me a private message, thx

Thanks alot,
Rusty

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!