Florida Firearms Laws - Page 4 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > General Interest Forums > General BS forum

Notices

General BS forum I guess anything is fair game in here. Just watch the subject matter doesn't get carried away too much.

Old 03-02-2007, 05:20 PM   #31
Ken Harbart
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim O
On another note, and not related to Florida, I have a general question. By virtue of my Virginia permit, I can carry in Florida. If I fly there, I can send a firearm through in my luggage, provided I inform the airlines, etc. What if I drive? The states along the way (NC, SC, GA) do not honor my permit. If my handgun is unloaded, broken down, and locked away in a glove box is that satisfactory? I don't have a trunk, I drive a pickup truck.
The law that you would most want to be concerned with as a "catch-all" in this regard is the Firearm Owners Protection Act (18USC 926) as it directly addresses your situation. Unfortunately, the weapon may not be carried in a locked glovebox or console. Instead, it must be in any other type of locked container. A padlocked gun case would be acceptable, for instance. However, bear in mind that this statute exists to cya in those states that have very restrictive forearms laws.

It would require some more research, but you could also carry in accordance with the individual states' vehicle carry laws. In SC, for instance, you may keep your firearm loaded and in the glovebox. In NC, though, storing it in a locked glovebox is of questionable legality and is discouraged. Once in GA, you may again return it to your glovebox or carry it openly on your person.

Old 03-02-2007, 05:32 PM   #32
Ken Harbart
Quote:
Originally Posted by shrap
As a future Florida resident I have a question or two about my guns.

Is my Indiana hand gun license valid in Florida? Do you have to register each handgun you own with the State?
As Rich has said, we have no gun registration in FL. It is expressly forbidden by law.

As you are currently a resident of Indiana, your license from that state is honored by FL. However, FL only honors permits issued by an individual's state of residence. After you move, FL will honor your license for a period of no more than 90 days in order to give you time to complete the FL application process. Your application can be expedited slightly simply by submitting electronic fingerprints rather than the traditional blue FBI card. This option is only available within the state of FL, however.

There is nothing that's precluding you from applying for, and receiving, a cwl before you relocate here. Remember that FL makes no practical distinction between residents and non-residents for purposes of licensure. If you obtain a license now, the only thing you'll need to do is update your address with the Division of Licensing within 30 days of moving.

Old 03-02-2007, 06:47 PM   #33
WebSlave
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim O
But once you became a Florida resident wouldn't you still need to obtain a Florida CWP (just like obtaining a Florida drivers license)?
I can't recall, but I believe that you have to actually live within Florida for a certain period of time before you are considered to be a resident. In the mean time, your reciprocal CCW will come in handy to cover that limbo state of legal residence you are in.

Old 03-02-2007, 07:52 PM   #34
Jim O
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Harbart
The law that you would most want to be concerned with as a "catch-all" in this regard is the Firearm Owners Protection Act (18USC 926) as it directly addresses your situation. Unfortunately, the weapon may not be carried in a locked glovebox or console. Instead, it must be in any other type of locked container. A padlocked gun case would be acceptable, for instance. However, bear in mind that this statute exists to cya in those states that have very restrictive forearms laws.

It would require some more research, but you could also carry in accordance with the individual states' vehicle carry laws. In SC, for instance, you may keep your firearm loaded and in the glovebox. In NC, though, storing it in a locked glovebox is of questionable legality and is discouraged. Once in GA, you may again return it to your glovebox or carry it openly on your person.
Thanks for the info Ken. I suppose that I also could get a Florida CWP which is recognized by NC and GA. SC then would be fine for passing through.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!