The ALL NEW Fauna FREE seed Gift and Exchange - Page 2 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Flora > Flora For Sale/Wanted Ads & Trades

Notices

Flora For Sale/Wanted Ads & Trades Posting of classified ads by registered members is FREE!! But additional perks require contributing level memberships.

Old 03-01-2012, 10:45 AM   #11
Christina Vincent
hahahahaha totally did not look at the dates O.o so IF any of this is still goin on still feel free to contact me

Old 03-26-2012, 08:42 AM   #12
catherine carney
Hi Christina--

I didn't look at dates either, but think it would be a good idea to restart! I'm a bit (OK, a lot) colder than you, but still plenty of plants to share, either natives or starts from the houseplants and aquariums....Any idea how this should work?

Old 03-26-2012, 08:56 AM   #13
Lucille
Christina what a great idea to start this up again!!

Old 03-26-2012, 09:14 AM   #14
Christina Vincent
Omg! Lol I got so excited seein those posts lol. I have TONS of plant life avail. I live in the south on 12 acres of incredible land half of which is still wild. We clear land constantly andthe 1st yrs we just hacked everything down. Recent years I started digging things up n relocating for gardens and selling to put money back into the property. I am happy to share so many variaties of things. I have sample boxes I ship to customers regularly and am happy to share diff kinds for free with Fauna members. This is new to me tho so humor my clumbsiness gettin started.

Old 03-26-2012, 09:19 AM   #15
Christina Vincent
My Sagos are producing like crazy! I have Sago seeds (with pulp or I can de-pulp them). I have Sago palm pup 5yr olds to last yrs crop of lil guys. I used the small pups in my terrariums for years after I sprouted them. They aren't for everyone but I love them for so many reasons! I have small care sheets too I can send to help get someone started.
Attached Images

Old 03-26-2012, 09:38 AM   #16
catherine carney
I've got Ohio farmland, riparian meadows and woods. Native wildflowers and lots of ornamentals and heirlooms--mostly hardy stuff that the darn deer won't eat. Need to split perennials and can ship them over the next month, and can save seeds over the season for fall shipment....

Here's the hardy stuff I know is available:
crabapple seedlings (< 4", colors unknown, found under existing trees)
Monarda didyma hybrids (mostly lavendars/purples/pinks, don't know what clump is what color right now)
Pixwell gooseberries (suckers from existing plants that need to be thinned)
Celandine poppy (native wildflower, not the cultivated form)--plants now, seeds later
Ostrich ferns (these can be invasive--not as bad as bamboo, but they do run and take over)
Snowball Viburnum (Viburnum carlecephalum, suckers off of existing large shrubs)
Common Lilac (the old fashioned fragrant one, suckers from the main clump that needs to be thinned).
Hardy water lilies (pink?)--the clumps in the goldfish ponds need to be thinned
Blue flowered Arrow leafed plant (name escapes me, I'll look it up, great marginal plant)

There's a lot more out there, but this is what comes to mind quickly. I'll put together a more complete list later today if people are interested.

The way the aquarium clubs I belong to work these trades is that the sender pays shipping for the items in the box. Is that at all similar to here?

Old 03-26-2012, 09:40 AM   #17
catherine carney
Christina--

Love your sagos! What's their care?

Old 03-26-2012, 10:02 AM   #18
Christina Vincent
One of the reasons these guys appeal to me so is simple annual maintaince. I know they are cold hardy...my mom is in CT but keeps them inside as houseplants. They are slow growers but I just love the ever green dark leaves.
The adults; Every winter I trim back a row or 2 of leaves from the bottom up. Not needed but helps with harvesting seeds and pups and prevents leaves from touchin the ground (we have them near a pool and Sagos are Sharp. I don't water them but once a month, a good soaking is the rains haven't done it.

The pups care is simple to. Put the pup in to a container only about 2" bigger round than the pup and bury half of it with a rich soil so no fertilizing is needed. Soak it with a good water when the soil is dry. Leaves sprout from a pup for me here in a few weeks usually. I am takin photos of the whole process as I am doin it all again this year lol like a photo journal of my breeding sagos lol.

For seed care; the seeds have a "fruit" around them - bad word - pulp is better. Sagos are toxic so "fruit" is a bad example the trade uses imo. N e way... After ripened on the mother sago, I collect them (OWIE she doesn't give um up nicely lol) them I test them in water to check if they're fertile. (Floaters and rattlers are bunk - unfertile teases you'll wait months for and they're duds) so the good ones go into a bucket of fresh water for 3-4 days soaking. Change water daily. Put on some gloves after they've soaked and peel away the pulp. I take a flat container, fill it with soil about 3/4 full and then press a cleaned seed on its SIDE into the soil so just the top is showing. I can fit 50 seeds in a small flat to sprout. I water if the soil is Dry only. Seeds take about 45 days here for me. Sagos like tight spaces for the 1st decade of life.

Old 03-26-2012, 10:11 AM   #19
Lucille
Quote:
Originally Posted by catherine carney View Post

The way the aquarium clubs I belong to work these trades is that the sender pays shipping for the items in the box. Is that at all similar to here?
I don't think there is a policy but that sounds good if it is a RAOK. If it is a trade then I guess each party would just pay to ship their own package.

Old 03-26-2012, 10:22 AM   #20
Christina Vincent
Because I'm craigslistin I don't have to ship often. But recently I have shipped to MS,NV and CT and for less than $5 so I just covered shippin in the cost. Bein that these aren't "boxed larger orders" I don't mind covering shipping under $5 for now...love the flat rate boxes for sagos lol

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!