does any one know how to care for a blind snake! - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Other Snakes Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 08-21-2005, 07:07 PM   #1
ilovesnakes
Red face does any one know how to care for a blind snake!

hi, i have found a female brahminy blind snake and i need to know what it eats.i gave her a small mealworm like insect. she lookat it and just went under ground. soplease reply back if you cangive me some tips

Old 08-21-2005, 07:23 PM   #2
DAND
Where were you at when you found this snake? Are you sure it is brahminy blind snake? If it is, they eat small invertebrates. Any pictures?

Old 08-21-2005, 11:07 PM   #3
ilovesnakes
Talking

srry, i am pretty newto this forum and dont know how o do it i am pretty sure it is because the discripstionfits perfect if you can sho me how to do it i will show you . but itlooks like a 2,3 inches it is abit slimy and it is not aworm because it is fast and has a small white to black tongue i found it under a flower pot. if you cancouldyou help me . oh and thanks.

Old 08-22-2005, 04:53 AM   #4
DAND
The reason I asked is the brahminy blind snake is native to tropical Southeast Asia and East Africa, not sunny Florida. I'd suggest doing a search on-line for blind snakes and see if you can find one that looks like what you have found.

Old 08-22-2005, 11:39 AM   #5
keego73
being native doesnt matter much anymore. i found a gecko at work last week in new albany, ohio. down in florida, anything goes. when you have breeding populations of burmese pythons, there'd be no surprise in finding a blind snake that is notorious for being shipped with flowers around the world. they have even established new ranges in several states in the US.

Old 08-23-2005, 08:22 PM   #6
ilovesnakes
Talking

Keegan Is Accully Right! Because The Brahminy Blind Snake Has Been Shipped Here By Mistake Or Some People Had Them Might Of Exscaped But I Checked On Line And It Is A Brahminy But Thanks.

Old 08-23-2005, 09:05 PM   #7
ffollett
We have a long list of introduced species here in Florida. My wife and I keep talking about taking a trip down to the everglades to see if we can find some boas and burms down there.
The blind snake has been here since the late 70's
Here is a list of introduced reptiles here in florida
http://www.wildflorida.org/critters/...asp?taxclass=R

Old 11-04-2005, 09:22 AM   #8
Bahamut
Brahminy blind snakes eat subterranian insects such as termites, ant larvae, and springtails.

Old 11-04-2005, 03:04 PM   #9
coyote
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bahamut
Brahminy blind snakes eat subterranian insects such as termites, ant larvae, and springtails.
Will these be a challenge to provide?

Obviously they are able to get food on their own or they would not be surviving.

But, how easy will it be to provide the right types of prey in captivity?

Old 11-06-2005, 05:34 PM   #10
Bahamut
Sorry about the slow reply, I should check these posts more often. I don't know of any commercial suppliers for these types of insect prey, although you can often find termites in rotten logs, and they may not be too hard to culture. I just don't know. By the way, ALL brahminy blind snakes are female. They are a parthenogenetic species, which is one of the reasons they are so widespread in the tropics. All it takes is one to start a new population.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!