Question about housing young beardies - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Bearded Dragons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 08-21-2012, 07:08 PM   #1
enharmonic
Question about housing young beardies

I am looking at prices for bins to hold about 600 eggs worth of babies and just wanted to toss up a thread asking you long time breeders out there what you all do with your babies.

I was thinking about 5 per unit, and having the bins be around the size of standard 10g tanks. Then I'm going to build shelves out of plywood and 2x4s and install my striplights and clamp lights into the "roof" of each shelf as I'm putting it all together.

What size bins does everyone else use, and how many beardies to each bin?

And where do you actually get your bins at? I'm having a bit of trouble finding the exact dimensions i want at reasonable prices -_-

Old 08-22-2012, 07:40 AM   #2
Matt2979
I'm not sure what exact size my tubs are, but they're equivalent to 10 gallon tanks. For the first couple of weeks, it's not uncommon for me to have 10 dragons in a tub. After about 2 weeks of that many in a single tub is asking for trouble though. I think I got most of these tubs from Home Depot.

Old 08-22-2012, 10:36 PM   #3
enharmonic
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Sterilite-...-of-6/10401032

I just found these and wanted to share it on here for everyone else. They are DIRT CHEAP and seem like they can easily be turned into great baby beardie bins. My idea would be to use clear packaging tape to cover up all the holes on the bottom half to prevent roach escapes, and custom shelving that is similar to the snake rack concepts except with strong mesh screening, and a pocket between the screening and the floor of next shelf for lights to screw into place.

Reading that explanation back to myself made no sense lol, I'll probably post picture of the shelves i build (hopefully by the end of next month or early october). Anyway, just wanted to share that link!

Old 08-23-2012, 03:46 PM   #4
Ed Clark
Quote:
Originally Posted by enharmonic View Post

What size bins does everyone else use, and how many beardies to each bin?

And where do you actually get your bins at? I'm having a bit of trouble finding the exact dimensions i want at reasonable prices -_-
55 or 60 qt tubs,they only go into the tubs as fresh hatchlings then after a week or so get moved into 4 ft cages,4 per cage. if you try to put too many beardies in tubs or cages they will tear each other apart.

Target for tubs.

Old 08-25-2012, 08:24 AM   #5
Matt2979
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Clark View Post
55 or 60 qt tubs,they only go into the tubs as fresh hatchlings then after a week or so get moved into 4 ft cages,4 per cage. if you try to put too many beardies in tubs or cages they will tear each other apart.

Target for tubs.
How many have you been able to house in a 4ft cage without problem (fighting, nips, etc)? I've been thinking about something like that for my babies, but I don't want to wast that much space if I can still only put 5-10 in it.

Old 08-25-2012, 04:14 PM   #6
Ed Clark
I like the 4 ft cages because the lighting and heat is spot on and they grow faster. I start with maybe 15-18 hatchlings then start thinning them out as they start growing, keep in mind I am feeding almost constantly as that is the only way to keep them from nipping each other. don't think I would recommend anymore than 6 after they hit the 30 day mark.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt2979 View Post
How many have you been able to house in a 4ft cage without problem (fighting, nips, etc)? I've been thinking about something like that for my babies, but I don't want to wast that much space if I can still only put 5-10 in it.

Old 10-11-2012, 02:28 AM   #7
DeMeNtEdDoGz
I use 16qt tubs on my racks and keep no more then 5-6 per type size accordingly. Very few nips if ever. Depending on # produced and sizes have a set up for hatchlings, grow out tubs, and several 4' stacked cages

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!