Newbie Advice Please! - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Bearded Dragons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 10-14-2012, 11:47 PM   #1
meowmeowkazoo
Newbie Advice Please!

I am currently waiting on word from my apartment complex, but I believe they will give the go-ahead to me getting a bearded dragon.

I am trying to figure out the most cost effective way of starting out with a baby beardie.

I want a baby because I've never owned a lizard before, so I want to start with something quite small so that I can get used to it as it grows. I chose bearded dragons because I have read that they are very sociable and friendly.

1) Would a baby be comfortable in a 55 gallon, or does it need something smaller? I'd like to avoid buying multiple enclosures if possible. Not a big deal though.

2) What is the best substrate to use? I have read that people avoid using sand because of impaction. So would paper or reptile carpet be better?

3) Can I feed a bearded dragon just worms and greens, and skip the crickets? Just because crickets smell bad and can escape. I read on a care sheet on beautifuldragons.com that you can feed mealies or supers instead of crickets.

http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Joelscaresheet.html

4) Is a glass aquarium a good housing choice, or do they do better in other types of enclosures?

5) Are there specific brands of calcium or multivitamins to avoid? Specific brands that are superior?

6) Is there a good store (online or otherwise) for purchasing bearded dragon supplies?

7) What are the handling guidelines for bearded dragons? I read that they like to be held loosely but that you should be careful because they don't keep a firm grip on your hands.

8) Does it matter if I get a bearded dragon from a pet store, or would a local breeder be better? I'm not aware of any breeders near me. They all seem to be an hour or more away from me.

9) Why do I see so many adult bearded dragons for sale?

10) Should I get a male or a female?

Old 10-15-2012, 02:17 AM   #2
Ed Clark
Quote:
Originally Posted by meowmeowkazoo View Post
I am currently waiting on word from my apartment complex, but I believe they will give the go-ahead to me getting a bearded dragon.

I am trying to figure out the most cost effective way of starting out with a baby beardie.

I want a baby because I've never owned a lizard before, so I want to start with something quite small so that I can get used to it as it grows. I chose bearded dragons because I have read that they are very sociable and friendly.

1) Would a baby be comfortable in a 55 gallon, or does it need something smaller? I'd like to avoid buying multiple enclosures if possible. Not a big deal thoug

Smaller a 20 long is a good start.

2) What is the best substrate to use? I have read that people avoid using sand because of impaction. So would paper or reptile carpet be better?

Paper is good, they can lose their nails in carpet.

3) Can I feed a bearded dragon just worms and greens, and skip the crickets? Just because crickets smell bad and can escape. I read on a care sheet on beautifuldragons.com that you can feed mealies or supers instead of crickets.

http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Joelscaresheet.html

Worms and roaches are good protein sources.

4) Is a glass aquarium a good housing choice, or do they do better in other types of enclosures?

I prefer 4 ft cages to house both my hatchlings and adults.

5) Are there specific brands of calcium or multivitamins to avoid? Specific brands that are superior?

Repashy or rep cal work for me.

6) Is there a good store (online or otherwise) for purchasing bearded dragon supplies?

Sorry cant help there.

7) What are the handling guidelines for bearded dragons? I read that they like to be held loosely but that you should be careful because they don't keep a firm grip on your hands.

You need to hold hatchlings firmly most of the time or they are off to the races.

8) Does it matter if I get a bearded dragon from a pet store, or would a local breeder be better? I'm not aware of any breeders near me. They all seem to be an hour or more away from me.

Most pet stores dont care much about the proper care of their animals. I suggest buying from someone you trust online.

9) Why do I see so many adult bearded dragons for sale?

Seems like a lot of people are buying to breed and make money. they find out fast dragons require a lot of tlc and any profits are small.

10) Should I get a male or a female?

If you only want 1 a male does some interesting things such as head bobbing and black bearding.
Just my opinion.

Old 10-15-2012, 01:52 PM   #3
meowmeowkazoo
Thank you for all the info, Ed.

Apartment said a beardie is fine, so now I will get started on collecting the supplies I will need.

Old 10-15-2012, 04:42 PM   #4
Ed Clark
Some supplies you will require.

10.0 UVB tube with fixture, 24" is good I like the zoo med brand.
basking spot light, I use the ones from the big box stores. depending on the room temps a 45 or 35 watt will do.
Calcium.
small shallow water dish.

if you are shopping for a dragon resist buying a tiny hatchling, look for 1 in the 8"-12" range.

I feed alot of collard greens. they like them and it is good for them.

soak your dragon in a plastic tub with about an inch of water about every 5-7 days as that will keep them hydrated and it helps when they are shedding.

Old 10-15-2012, 05:41 PM   #5
meowmeowkazoo
I actually found a baby beardie for $100 including all supplies, so I will probably pick it up tomorrow. It says he comes with a UVB light, but I will have to check to see if it is strong enough.

Old 10-16-2012, 11:07 AM   #6
Ed Clark
Something that will make your life easier is an appliance(light) timer. you can pick up at home depot or lowes for around $8.00

You can manipulate a dragons life cycle and rhythm with length of day and temps.12 hours of light/12 hours of dark works good for that baby.

Just plug your basking and UVB lights into the timer.

Old 10-17-2012, 10:40 PM   #7
san diego
yay welcome to the bearded dragons club . hope you like it . congrats

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!