strange markings on cat - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Mammals > General Discussions

Notices

General Discussions This is a general purpose forum open to all topics related to Mammals.

Old 02-07-2005, 04:39 PM   #1
holes_in_me
Question strange markings on cat

Hey everyone. I recently got a kitten that has unique markings on it. It's zebra striped with gray and black like many cats are, but then it has these bright reddish-brown swirls on both sides and a white tummy. I'll try to get some pictures of it (not a tame cat) but i'm curious to know what breed I have. The lady I got it from has Himalayans and ragdolls, could this be a mix of the two?

Old 02-07-2005, 05:51 PM   #2
Karen Hulvey
With the swirls it sounds like it could be a tortishell color? How about those pictures of the kitty? I love kitties.

Old 02-16-2005, 07:33 AM   #3
reptilemama
Hard to tell without a picture. The typical striped pattern is usually a brown tabby, what you are describing could be a classic tabby pattern instead of mackerel tabby, which is what is usually found in housecats. Here's pics I found on the net- this is a brown mackerel tabby- http://www.catimages.co.uk/Exotics/i...evs/prev15.jpg

This is a brown classic tabby- http://www.homepet.com/scottish/souris1p2.jpg

Old 03-25-2005, 09:35 AM   #4
Leyna
The color patern you are discribing is something that I'm starting to see a lot of with ferral cats in my area. I think it's a calico gene being expressed with a tabby gene causing orange spotting on tabby's. It's a very pretty coloration, but I have a feeling that it's caused by inbreeding...

Old 03-25-2005, 08:54 PM   #5
reptilemama
Layna, it sounds like you're describing what is known in the show ring as a torbie or brown patched tabby. It's not really due to inbreeding, just the combination of the tabby gene with a tortiseshell cat.

Old 03-25-2005, 10:11 PM   #6
MrCharlieGreen
Thumbs up hmnn

All i know is that is not a torti.... But a cutie isnt it!?

Old 03-26-2005, 01:47 AM   #7
Leyna
There are no torties around where I live... There are only solid grays, tabbies, black and whites, and normal calico's. Also, the cats I'm talking about do not reseble torties in the least. There are about 3 of these cats I described, I think they all came from the same litter as well. They look like tabbies, but have the orange spotting of a calico on them. I have never seen any cat with this coloring... They aren't very tame, so I don't know if I can get a photo, but I sure will try.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!