What Reptile Show Repellent is to Blame in Connecticut? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > Shows & Events

Notices

Shows & Events Since these are such a big part of our business, it is appropriate that we discuss them from a business perspective.

Old 09-06-2004, 03:17 PM   #1
humpbacks1962
What Reptile Show Repellent is to Blame in Connecticut?

How come there is no move to bring a show to Hartford or elsewhere in CT? The closest one is White Plains, still a little ways from our state.

Any moves to change the trend?

Wanda

Old 09-06-2004, 05:09 PM   #2
Bruce Lowder
The state laws that impose excessive regulatory burdens on potential vendors are to blame. Years ago SNEHA ran some nice shows, but but eventually the laws passed made it not worhwhile for out of state vendors to do any show in that state.

Old 09-06-2004, 05:17 PM   #3
humpbacks1962
Can you give me an idea? How bad are we talking about? What is the extent of those regulations that block out of state breeders?

Are in-state breeders less restricted?

Wanda

Old 09-06-2004, 07:05 PM   #4
Bruce Lowder
While I don't know the details first hand, I was told by some vendors that the state had a list of specific species that were allowed, and that anything not on the list was prohibited. Also, the permit requirements for out of state vendors were extensive and expensive, and not worth their while.

Old 09-07-2004, 04:27 PM   #5
oscar
oh c'mon! white plains isnt so far to get some new herps and drool over all the ones you cant house nor afford!
i'm in the far east part of new haven county and it only takes us a little over an hour to get there. really not so bad.. and if you are further north, i think there is a show that comes around in manchester, new hampshire.

Old 09-07-2004, 05:06 PM   #6
humpbacks1962
Unhappy

You got that right!

But coming from Middletown, it takes me about 1 hr 1/2...

I am still curious about those "imposing" regulations. I searched all over the state's website and found only a handful of species that are endangered or of special concern. I assume these are the only ones you should not see at the shows held in CT:

T Loggerhead ^ Caretta caretta
T Atlantic green turtle ^ Chelonia mydas
SC Wood turtle Clemmys insculpta
E Bog turtle ^ Clemmys muhlenbergii
E Timber rattlesnake Crotalus horridus
E Leatherback + Dermochelys coriacea
T Five-lined skink Eumeces fasciatus
SC Eastern hognose snake Heterodon platirhinos
E Atlantic ridley + Lepidochelys kempii
SC Eastern box turtle Terrapene c. carolina
SC Eastern ribbon snake Thamnophis sauritus

T= threatened, SC= special concern, E= endangered, += federally endangered, ^=federally threatened.

As far as permits, a two page document did not sound too imposing http://dep.state.ct.us/pao/forms/wildlife/import.pdf

So, when Petco seems to find the way to offer quite a few reptiles and amphibians ( and in seasonal varieties too), the reason why shows can't do likewise in Connecticut beats me.

All permits related to what DEP's Wildlife Division oversees and controls in Connecticut are found here: http://dep.state.ct.us/burnatr/wildl....htm#MiscForms

Maybe I missed something while I blinked, but still would like to understand why herp lovers in my state can't get a show running...

Old 09-11-2004, 09:42 PM   #7
SPJ
Because despite what the DEP has in writing, they are asses when you try and get permits from them. They deny permits even if you meet the requirements they set. There is a little rule they use all the time that states "any permit can be denied at their discretion". They use that loophole ALL the time.
I have tried on numerous occasions to deal with them and after all of the red tape and being refferred to other people, I ended up getting nowhere and having permits denied.
They just do not want any herp shows in the state and want to control what people can and cannot own.

Old 09-12-2004, 07:26 AM   #8
humpbacks1962
HUM... I spoke with someone in Wildlife who confirmed that people need a permit when they imjport species into the state. They are not issuing permits at this time, however. How in the world do pet stores get away with it, then?

And what complicates mattersis the restrictions on the number of reptiles a person can have. A box turtle, for example, is limited to only one.

So yes, it is very limiting in the state and they are tightening the rules even more. But not out of spite and an evil willingness to harass. Some of these animals are bought and then, when people get sick and tired of them or want to "move on to other projects" have no value to the owner anymore. Some find good homes, while the majority are released into the wild. Law Enforcement and conservation officers find exotics in places they don't belong to. The other day someone called in to report a constrictor in her pond, for gawd's sake!! In Connecticut!!

The list of invasive species in the state has grown considerably, displacing many native species. So, I see their point and accept their measures in the name of conservation.

Wanda

Old 09-16-2004, 03:15 PM   #9
Sand&SunReptile
Oh just drive the 1 and a half. I driv eupwards of 2 hours to get there, and it is always more than worth my while. Especially if you plan on buying something.
Great way to great some great herps. Fun little trip too, go up there, go to the show, catch a bite to eat, it's a very nice day trip.
Would rather go there than to a brothel.
That says a lot coming from a single guy too.

Old 09-16-2004, 03:32 PM   #10
humpbacks1962
Quote:
Would rather go there than to a brothel.
That says a lot coming from a single guy too.
Hehehe... Drinks tonight?

Yeah, it was about 1 1/2 hr drive and it was a neat show. I only brought back a leo and tons of supplies. Crickets, a new tank, water dishes and hideouts, worms...

But I might go to the November show as well

Wanda