Michigan's Right to Farm - Page 2 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > General Interest Forums > Preparedness & Self-Reliance Forum

Notices

Preparedness & Self-Reliance Forum Survivalism, Livestock, Preparedness, Self Reliant Homesteading, Individual Liberty

Old 05-10-2014, 07:01 PM   #11
Dennis Hultman
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucille View Post
I think you have summarized the conflict in just a few sentences. The Right To Farm Act protected farmers when people moved to the country, bought a home right next to a farm, and all of a sudden found out that farm animals can make noise and some of them can smell. They 'came to the nuisance' and so were out of luck with their complaints; and this was codified with the Farm Act.

But when suburban farmers start up a farm, the residents in the area were already there, they didn't 'come to the nuisance', and some of them don't want to be downwind from a pig sty.
And the other side of the coin (which is a constant battle personally) is the town growing and changing and not honoring what was there first or their agreements that grandfathered you in 40 years ago.

I have chickens, goats, garden, orchards etc.. in a area where land is unbelievable out of reach of most people. In return you have people moving in that do not value having something as non intrusive as chickens (minus roosters) around. As development continues and cities and towns expand and build up around, Suddenly you find that you are a suburban farmer. I could say they are the nuisance not I.

Old 05-10-2014, 07:41 PM   #12
Lucille
And you would be absolutely right, personally and legally. The concept of 'coming to the nuisance' refers to those who move to the nuisance.
In my example I had a farmer move into an already populated situation.
In any case growing food is so important that it is worth fighting for. My little garden though minuscule provides me with a lot of fresh vegetables.

The problem is that we have become an adversarial society. Instead of the parties affected sitting down with the town elders and trying to work something out, a law is passed. And the government is all too happy to let that happen, because what actually passes into law is heavily influenced by special interest lobbyists that contribute to political committees.

I heard somewhere years ago that one of the most important duties of a newly elected representative is to raise money for committees and reelections and so on, and I think that is probably true. When I heard it (in school) it quashed any thought I had of representing folks, dinner parties and fleecing people for money isn't why I had an interest in the law.

Old 05-10-2014, 08:36 PM   #13
WebSlave
"The Law" is a perfect example of "The road to Hell is paved with good intentions."

Old 05-11-2014, 06:11 AM   #14
Lucille
Quote:
Originally Posted by WebSlave View Post
"The Law" is a perfect example of "The road to Hell is paved with good intentions."
It is true, the actual practical use of the concept of law, like everything else, can suffer from misuse. I do not think anarchy is an answer, but neither do I think that codifying the solution to every possible dispute is healthy or workable.

Old 05-11-2014, 06:18 AM   #15
allreptiles1966
Quote:
I suspect that there is very little, if any, gold bullion left in the USA.
Maybe not. But in our home we take great pride in buying gold for our retirement. I started when it was only 380 per oz.

It sounds as if at some point we will be back to the barter and trade method. Which I like myself.

Old 05-11-2014, 06:21 AM   #16
allreptiles1966
What in the hell do these city people think goes on in the county? I'll be honest,I would provoke them if I lived in the country and they told me no raising my own food anymore.

Old 05-13-2014, 04:08 PM   #17
j_dunlavy
Quote:
Sorry, but I may very well tolerate using tools and appliances made in China, but damned if I will knowingly eat any foodstuffs coming from there.
My wife is Chinese and she refuses to buy and foodstuff that comes from China. She will get stuff that was imported from Japan but she just does not trust the safety of Chinese grown foods because of the pollution levels and other shady practices.

Old 05-14-2014, 06:58 AM   #18
allreptiles1966
They probably have led in their food too.

Old 05-14-2014, 01:48 PM   #19
j_dunlavy
Quote:
Originally Posted by allreptiles1966 View Post
They probably have led in their food too.
probably, China is just notorious for contamination.

My brother lives in S. Korea (teaching English) and a few years ago became ill. the doctors thought he was suffering from kidney stones but they would not pass and they could not find any. As it turns out he had been eating some candy (made in China) that he had in his classroom for the kids; it had melanin (or something) in it, the same stuff that was killing dogs when it was found to be in dog food.
He threw away the candy and has since recovered.

The imported food controversy is not just here; my brother tells me that South Koreans are opposed to importing food from China under some free trade deal for the same reasons Americans are opposed to it.

Old 07-25-2014, 03:56 PM   #20
Lucille
Missouri is having a 'Right to Farm' constitutional amendment vote soon.
Some appear to be fighting the passage of the amendment because they are linking it to Big Ag, saying that if Big Ag uses genetically altered crops or other measures that harm a smaller neighboring farm, the amendment would make redress more difficult because it would give Big Ag a right to use their farming methods.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!