Info Ashley Caspillo-SakaraGT4/Sakara *Possible Buyer Beware!* - Page 115 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > Board of Inquiry®

Notices

Board of Inquiry® This forum is provided exclusively for the discussion of specific persons or businesses in the herp industry.

Old 01-24-2011, 10:45 AM   #1141
amercnwmn
I should have been more specific.

I was referring to the FACTS being:
She sold snakes KNOWING FULL WELL THERE WAS A NECROPSY INDICATING IBD
She LIED to others about selling snakes AFTER receiving the IBD report
She LIED about tests she had done
She LIED about the # of snakes she has /had in her collection, and how many have died.
She LIED to Dr. Jacobson by omitting vital information regarding her snakes
She LIED about temperment, health, quarantine, and other aspects pertaining to her collection.
She sold mite infected snakes to Elizabeth & Rachel

Those were the facts I was referring to.

Old 01-24-2011, 10:52 AM   #1142
reticguy76
understood, and agreed

Old 01-24-2011, 10:55 AM   #1143
amercnwmn
Under "Clinical Signs" in Dr. Jacobson's research paper states:
[quote]From the late 1970s and extending into the mid 1980s Burmese Pythons were the most common snake seen with IBD....*SNIP*... Beginning in the early 1990s more cases were diagnosed in boa constrictors in relation to Burmese and other pythons."

Since that was based on his clinical evaluations, I'd consider that fact. The cause was unknown, so that would be speculation, but the science is there to support that more cases of IBD are diagnosed in Boas now than in Pythons.

Old 01-24-2011, 10:55 AM   #1144
amercnwmn
Rats...I hate not being able to Edit. :P

Old 01-24-2011, 11:21 AM   #1145
reticguy76
i understand, however, that is a small group of researchers evaluating, small numbers of snakes. i think its my nature (and from my field of work) to be precise. i dont like and agree with minimum researchers and research done and words/phrases used like, "it seems", "probably", etc. but, of course, that is getting into matter of perception and personal views on the subject.
i like and prefer researcers to use words like, "we know", "without a doubt", etc. there are so many things out there (medically), aside from ibd, that are probably true and accurate with different diseases and treatments, that research for, uses words like, "we believe", "we think", "seems like", etc, that i tend to leave open.

obviously there are many diseases, treatments, etc in world that are not definite and probably never will be, since research on some of those things have been goin on for decades, but the way my mind works, unless it is proven beyond a doubt and recorded by mulitple researchers that all come to the same findings, everything is open

Old 01-24-2011, 11:37 AM   #1146
sally-dog
Quote:
Originally Posted by reticguy76 View Post
i understand, however, that is a small group of researchers evaluating, small numbers of snakes. i think its my nature (and from my field of work) to be precise. i dont like and agree with minimum researchers and research done and words/phrases used like, "it seems", "probably", etc. but, of course, that is getting into matter of perception and personal views on the subject.
i like and prefer researcers to use words like, "we know", "without a doubt", etc. there are so many things out there (medically), aside from ibd, that are probably true and accurate with different diseases and treatments, that research for, uses words like, "we believe", "we think", "seems like", etc, that i tend to leave open.

obviously there are many diseases, treatments, etc in world that are not definite and probably never will be, since research on some of those things have been goin on for decades, but the way my mind works, unless it is proven beyond a doubt and recorded by mulitple researchers that all come to the same findings, everything is open
And it is also my own nature to be precise also. I am a laboratory animal technician. It is the same thing you do, only I work in a research setting. It is in my nature to know how diseases work and how diseases manifest themselves in animals, but first and foremost, I know RESEARCH.

The paper we have to go on was written based on experiences with the virus. Those experiences are fact. Do not forget that Dr. Jacobson has MANY other vets forward their cases to him! Is that not considered a collective of fact to you?

All this talk of how we percieve things is irrelevent to this thread, though. I hope you understand the point I'm trying to make. "Fact" is a strong word for something studied so little, but you have to take into account that Dr. Jacobson's paper is a collective of possibly hundreds or thousands of different cases presented to him. This is how the disease is currently known to manifest itself.

Old 01-24-2011, 11:39 AM   #1147
reticguy76
i would like to say, though, this thread has been very enlightening to say the least. i agree with alot of what has been said in this thread, that being said, im just a person that prefers defintive answers or the most definitive answers we can get (with confidence) by mulitple researchers coming to the same conclusion beyond a doubt.

am i wrong or right ? neither, just my way of thinking.
are other people wrong or right for not thinking/being that way ? no, just other ways of thinking

to sum up, i belive ibd is real, bad, and can infect mulitple snakes in same general area.

is it spread through contact, i belive so, but nothing is fact (yet)
do pythons die quicker than boas once infected, i believe they do, but again, nothing is fact
do pythons die of different symptoms than boas, i believe so, but yet again, nothing is fact

until these and other questions are answered beyond a doubt and fully proven, all we can do as individuals is go with what our own thoughts and beliefs and instincts

Old 01-24-2011, 11:45 AM   #1148
sally-dog
Quote:
Originally Posted by reticguy76 View Post
i would like to say, though, this thread has been very enlightening to say the least. i agree with alot of what has been said in this thread, that being said, im just a person that prefers defintive answers or the most definitive answers we can get (with confidence) by mulitple researchers coming to the same conclusion beyond a doubt.

am i wrong or right ? neither, just my way of thinking.
are other people wrong or right for not thinking/being that way ? no, just other ways of thinking

to sum up, i belive ibd is real, bad, and can infect mulitple snakes in same general area.

is it spread through contact, i belive so, but nothing is fact (yet)
do pythons die quicker than boas once infected, i believe they do, but again, nothing is fact
do pythons die of different symptoms than boas, i believe so, but yet again, nothing is fact

until these and other questions are answered beyond a doubt and fully proven, all we can do as individuals is go with what our own thoughts and beliefs and instincts
This isn't really the time or place to be introspective any more. You've listed your own speculations this multiple times on the thread which is can be counterproductive, even harmful. You might lead someone to think, "If someone in the animal health field is doubting this paper is fact, then perhaps he is right!".

This paper is what we have to go on, and this is what we will have to use until we find something more tangent about this disease!

Old 01-24-2011, 11:47 AM   #1149
sally-dog
Quote:
Originally Posted by sally-dog View Post
This isn't really the time or place to be introspective any more. You've listed your own speculations on this multiple times on the thread which can be counterproductive, even harmful. You might lead someone to think, "If someone in the animal health field is doubting this paper is fact, then perhaps he is right!".

This paper is what we have to go on, and this is what we will have to use until we find something more tangent about this disease!
WOW my GRAMMER AND SPELLING!
I NEED to correct this, if ya don't mind!

Old 01-24-2011, 11:47 AM   #1150
amercnwmn
Unfortunately Dr. Jacobson is one of the only people I'm aware of that is studying this and other reptile related diseases. The funding and interest just simply aren't there.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Tags
ibd