Pageant hopefuls decapitate, skin snakes at Rattlesnake Roundup - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Herps In The News

Notices

Herps In The News Local or national articles where reptiles or amphibians have made it into the news media. Please cite sources.

Old 03-12-2011, 11:23 PM   #1
Reptidude100
Angry Pageant hopefuls decapitate, skin snakes at Rattlesnake Roundup

http://www.cnn.com/2011/US/03/12/rat...dup/index.html

Gee, what can I say that's appropriate for a public forum? I suppose I'll just have to express my feelings about this with icons.

Yeah... I guess that's about it.

P.S. Don't watch the video if you can't stomach truly disgusting human behavior and truly graphic snake abuse; Don't read the comments if you can't stomach truly astonishing stupidity. Although I'm sure everyone here is probably aware of these roundup things.

Old 03-13-2011, 05:41 PM   #2
TattooLost
Ugh. Just nasty.

Now we need to find a town with too many dogs, and have a "Miss Dog Disemboweler" competition! Weeeeeee...

Old 03-14-2011, 02:49 AM   #3
ScaredyCatAsh
Wow so sad I saw something about this but an actual hour long show about how they do this. I really think this is absurd.

Old 03-14-2011, 05:53 AM   #4
wcreptiles
Article Text.

Here's the text of the article, just in case the link goes away. These round-ups need to stop.

-------------
Quote:
Pageant hopefuls decapitate, skin snakes at Rattlesnake Roundup
Sweetwater, Texas (CNN) -- To win the Miss Snake Charmer beauty pageant requires beauty, grace, talent and a strong stomach. It's probably the only pageant in the country that requires the winner to decapitate and skin a snake.

"Tomorrow I get to skin snakes and chop their heads off, and I am super-excited about it," said Laney Wallace, Miss Snake Charmer 2011.

The pageant kicks off the annual Rattlesnake Roundup festival in this West Texas town. Hunters from as far away as Japan catch as many snakes as possible in the countryside then bring them to the county coliseum for the festival.

"This event is a way for us to help control the population of the western diamondback rattlesnake in our area," says Donnie Willman, a volunteer with the Sweetwater Jaycees who run the event.

The roundup began more than 50 years ago as a way to combat the rattlesnake population that was killing livestock and threatening pets and even people.

"The rattlesnakes were literally coming into Sweetwater, down the streets looking for water," says Willman.

"They bite livestock, they bite the animals, your pets. They'll bite kids, people. They're a very serious problem around here."

The roundup has become a huge part of the town's identity. The Jaycees say 30,000 to 50,000 people attend the roundup each year. It's become as much party as public service event.

"We have a lot of fun doing it. We enjoy it. We're all Jaycees back here in the snake pits," Willman says.

Jeff Hulstein and Nathan Sheets left their wives at home in Dallas, Texas, and brought their sons to the roundup. They hired a guide to take them snake hunting and then brought their box full of snakes to the event.

"We saw this as a rite of passage to be able to bring your boys out here and let them see how you have good clean fun and learn something and appreciate nature," says Jeff Hulstein. "It's one of the ways we are going to raise these boys into men."

The guide uses gasoline fumes to drive the rattlers out of their dens. The dads then use long handled tongs and hooks to corral the snakes.

Nathan Sheets says he has dreamed of coming to the Rattlesnake Roundup since he was a boy.

"For me it's been a bucket list thing my entire life."

The roundup is clearly more fun for the humans than the snakes. The rattlesnakes are dumped into a large pen with hundreds of other snakes. They are weighed and measured and their venom is milked into glass beakers where it will be used for research and to make anti-venom.

It goes down hill from here. Next comes the chopping block where their heads are cut off. They are then skinned and gutted. The meat is fried up and the skins are used for boots and wallets.

For $10, visitors can take a turn at snake skinning. To record their feat they rub their hands in snake blood and leave handprints on the wall.

It's a little gory, but no one seems bothered, including Miss Snake Charmer 2011 Laney Wallace, who showed up to take her turn in the skinning pit.

Tiara and sash in place and machete in hand, she steps up to the block and takes a swing -- and another, and another -- before the head finally comes off.

Undeterred, she picks up the snakes body with one hand and gives a beauty queen wave with the other as cameras click away.

"Only in Sweetwater," she says.

"I would of never imagined in a million years that I would be Miss Snake Charmer. I'm so lucky."
http://www.cnn.com/2011/US/03/12/rat....html?hpt=Sbin

Old 03-14-2011, 02:34 PM   #5
McFly
Now that's a woman lol......

Old 03-14-2011, 05:10 PM   #6
Masa06
Ugh.... these things are disgusting... The overpopulation is BS. Dogs and cats are overpopulated in many areas, and they can be more dangerous. But you don't see anyone killing them do ya?

Old 03-14-2011, 05:12 PM   #7
Omnomnami
I can understand why they would want to thin the population...but killing them in front of everyone, skinning them and then leaving a hand print in blood?! "Sadistic" is one word that comes to mind...

Quote:
"We saw this as a rite of passage to be able to bring your boys out here and let them see how you have good clean fun and learn something and appreciate nature," says Jeff Hulstein. "It's one of the ways we are going to raise these boys into men."
Good...clean...fun...?

Old 03-14-2011, 05:14 PM   #8
Masa06
^ Appreciate nature? Maybe if they used more conventional means to catch them and most importantly didn't kill them and just milked them, I would be more okay with it.

Old 03-14-2011, 06:15 PM   #9
herp_huggs
Quote:
Originally Posted by Masa06 View Post
^ Appreciate nature? Maybe if they used more conventional means to catch them and most importantly didn't kill them and just milked them, I would be more okay with it.

I was thinking the exact same thing. the act of taking animals from their native habitat and throwing them into some sick killing festival does not "appreciate nature", nor does it make you or your child a "man"....
Humans are pretty overpopulated, last I checked...

Old 03-14-2011, 08:52 PM   #10
Reptidude100
What's really funny about the "overpopulation" claim is that there's zero science to back it up - there is no peer-reviewed study demonstrating that WDB rattlers in TX have surpassed their biological carrying capacity. It's clear that, to the good folks of Sweetwater TX, "overpopulated" simply means "too many rattlers for Bubba and his Paw Paw to feel comfortable with."

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!