Texas Indigo - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Pituophis & Drymarchon Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 08-01-2006, 08:55 PM   #1
monocledking
Arrow Texas Indigo

hi im new to this all i have 2 cornsnakes one ball python and i had just recently went to a serpantaruim were i held a eastern indigo. i have fell in love with its docile nature but living in florida they are illegal and hard to obtain unless you have a permit which is also diffuclt. so i was wondering if i would need a permit for a texas indigo. but on a second thought what is a good beginer snake for me since i have never owned an indigo any info that could lead me in the right direction would be most helpful thanks.

Old 08-02-2006, 04:57 PM   #2
thesnakeman
Dustin,
I think with some good solid prior study,...that means read all the info you can find, and learn all you can learn first,...a Texan, drymarchon corais erebenus, would be fine. And the authorities in Florida should have no problem with that. Their laws only apply to the eastern indigo, drymarchon couperi. Go to www.indigosnakes.com , and find the breeders list. Contact each one, and get on several waiting lists. While you wait for an availeble hatchling, perhaps up to two or three years, you can study, and research, and learn all about them. That way, when the big day finally arrives, you'll know exactly how to care for your new Texan. While you are finding a breeder, you may find some other availeble drymarchon, such as a black tailed cribo. And you may decide to give that a try before proceeding with the Texan. The black tails are good snakes to learn about drymarchon with.

Where did you hold the indigo? Was it at George VanHorn's place, the Orlando/Kissimee area Serpentarium?? If not, go check that out. It's quite a show. Talk to George, as he is knowledgable, experienced, and very helpful. Good luck, and keep us posted,
T.

Old 08-05-2006, 04:36 PM   #3
shytownjb
Like Anthony said, do some research and when you are ready..get one of these little knockouts (Texas Indigo)

Old 08-05-2006, 11:36 PM   #4
monocledking
yes i did go to the van george serpanterium in st cloud and thank you very much that is were i held the indigo snake on a side note is the texas indigo a docile species like the eastern. tnhx

Old 08-07-2006, 12:19 PM   #5
epidemic
Yes!

Texas Indigos are very docile and intelligent animals, though a bit more difficult to acquire than their Floridian and Georgian cousins, but there are some out there!
You might wish to check the breeders list at www.indigosnakes.com and contact a few on the list working with them.
As testament to their temperament, here’s a photo of my eight year old step-son with a male Texan that is just under the 9’ mark and growing.
You might also wish to look into the acquisition of one of the cribos as well, as they are all legal in FL and generally well mannered..

Best regards,

Jeff
Attached Images

Old 08-08-2006, 05:30 PM   #6
monocledking
THANK YOU JEFF that summed up alot.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!