Info Amy Zerkle's temper, beware! - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > Board of Inquiry®

Notices

Board of Inquiry® This forum is provided exclusively for the discussion of specific persons or businesses in the herp industry.

Old 07-11-2009, 08:07 PM   #1
Quibble
Angry Amy Zerkle's temper, beware!

I bought 4 garter snakes for my birthday from Amy Zerkle. 1.1 puget sound, 1.0 oregon red spotted, and 1.0 orange striped plains. When they arrived, the labels of the pugets genders seemed to be backwards. To confirm my suspicions I sought advice on another forum. Everyone agreed the 'female' was male, some thought the 'male' was female and others thought I had two males. I also noticed one had a lump on its spine. I became worried and told Amy what was discussed on the forum. She is greatly offended by my confusion, and wants me to send all four snakes back to her. I guess I can advise to anyone that wishes to buy from her, that if you get an animal in less than perfect health, don't ask her to help you. You're on your own, as am I.
I have read nothing but good reports about Amy, so I have trusted her through the transaction. I never intended for this problem to escalate as it has, I tried apologising for anything that may have seemed rude. Apologies are 'meaningless' to her.

Attachment 84475

To: Amy
Sent: Tue, Jul 7, 2009 7:50 pm
Subject: ???

Hey Amy,
I think you got the pickeringii genders backwards, but thats okay I got it figured out!!
The female has a strange lump on her back, it doesnt seem to restrict any movement, but im worried about it.
Have any suggestions?

-Beth
------------------------------------------------------------------------
To: thealmightyshortone@hotmail.com
Subject: Re: ???
Date: Wed, 8 Jul 2009 14:48:55 -0400

HI Beth It maybe a bruise fro jostling around during shipping-i didnt notice any abnormality when packing them-keep me updated .
sorry i reversed the sex sign postman was early for pickup i was rushing to box them up
Amy
Sent: Fri, Jul 10, 2009 3:31 pm
Subject: RE: ???

Hi Amy.
Well 'Lumpy' (as shes been called) hasent changed, the lump is still there. Shes the only one that hasnt eaten yet, she has refused guppies, worms, nightcrawlers, and pinks. I have been talking with people on Thamnophis, and they seem to think its either a spinal kink or a parasite, seeing as how the packaging was all fine. I'm sure its a simple mistake, and I hope you'll work with me to make things right. I can't in all good conscience breed an unhealthy female.
There has also been some contreversy on the forum, some insist I have two male pickeringii instead of male/female.
What do you think we can do? Do you have a different healthy female thats as pretty blue as Lumpy?

-Beth
Date: Fri, 10 Jul 2009 18:26:31 -0400

The best thing at this time is to send them all back and I'll refund your money. At this time since the whole shippment has apparently gone awry, the only way to rectify this is this way.
Amy
Sent: Fri, Jul 10, 2009 6:45 pm

Well, I am happy with the other three. Isnt there a way you can replace the sick one with a healthy female? I can pay to ship her if you have another one for me. Or is there a way you can help me pay for a vet? I can send you a copy of any bills or proof of whatever you need, and maybe we can split the cost.

I really wouldnt want to return my entire birthday present, I've already given everybody names!

-Beth
Date: Fri, 10 Jul 2009 19:20:57 -0400

Beth
I have been in this business since 1983 i dont appreciate questioning the species or if they paracitized.
After those statements I would prefer to end this transaction by returning my animals to me
I would not sell anything misidentified-period
They were born here and raised by me.
I would prefer to take the entire group back -I didnt sell anything I felt was subpar .
I have been in this for 30 yrs& my reputation is impeccable-because i dont and wont sell anything i wouldnt be happy to recieve.
I have no other bigger for sale females -I do not make a habit of selling my breeders.
I made an exception selling those to you
The only pugets that I have for sale are 09's that are 2 weeks old .
I would prefer doing business in person that is the downfall of selling online
As far as vets very few vets are qualified to treat snakes - in my expereince they misdiagnose and overdose meds killing the animals.
If there is a problem i will deal with it with my own people.
I will be leaving for afish show and will not be back till Sunday night -
I will send a 50% refund and the balance when the snakes arrive
Amy
Sent: Fri, Jul 10, 2009 8:47 pm

Amy,
Im really sorry, my intentions were not to blame you. I was just telling you what other forum members have been suggesting to me. The flaw in this snake is easy to miss, in fact my brother was the one to point it out to me. I'm just worried. If by chance it IS a parasite, it should be pointed out in case it has spread to others. In any other case it might be wise for me to seek veteranary care if it wont eat. In my opinion, she is female, and she has a spinal kink. However I have gotten otherwise suggestions which I thought I should tell you about. It just doesnt seem to add up if it were a shipping injury, if anything the radix would have gotten an injury because his cup was a bit smushed. I made a lot of mental and physical preparation for this purchase, I'd hate to throw it all away. I attached a pic of the kinked area.

-Beth
Date: Fri, 10 Jul 2009 22:26:25 -0400

Beth
I do not intend to volley letters - she has a kink - i didnt notice it when packing -these were animals i have been raising for my self.I choose the highest color ones to send. I usually sell ones that size for 100-125 ea but was trying to do you a favor ..
I was shocked and disamyed you have question the sex, origin , species and threated to report to the BOI on the forum- before sending me any kind of picture .
I see nothing but trouble with this entire thing-I am not reshipping anythng-i want my snakes back & i will refund your money.
Amy
Sent: Sat, Jul 11, 2009 7:35 am

Amy
Again I'm sorry. Keep in mind that this is an online transaction between two strangers, and that be both have an honest right to assume the worst intentions of each other in attempts to protect ourselves.
I never questioned the origin or the species. I never questioned the genders until the comments from others, and then I became worried.
I apologise for not sending a picture sooner, it just somehow didnt cross my mind.
Also, one can talk. I may have said stuff about the BOI, but I would never do such a thing until the issues were dealt with and over, which is what any responsible person would do.
I am happy with this transaction. The kink in Lumpy scared me, I guess you could say I went into panic mode. If it werent for this fight, I would still buy from you again in the future. My only intenions were to attempt to solve this peacefully.
I'm sorry for the trouble. It's my problem now, and I will deal with it accordingly.

And in all seriousness, I sincerely appreciated what you've done for me.

-Beth
Date: Sat, 11 Jul 2009 13:22:09 -0400

Beth I want my animals back period.
I will refund your money
After the facy apologies are meaningless-I ahve no intention of selling you anything
Please send them out monday When you send tracking info i will refund 1/2 once they arrive I will sed the balance
Amy

This is rediculous Amy.
I was only asking for help, not demanding it, and not accusing you. You could have taken a different approach to this whole situation and spared your reputation. Thank you for teaching me not to buy from people I dont know, I will forward my lesson to others. If you really have a problem with selling to people online, then take your adds down.
Have a great day.
-Beth

Old 07-11-2009, 08:16 PM   #2
Uroboros
With that kink, I'd totally take her up on it. Have her send you a return label and a refund.

GL

Old 07-11-2009, 08:17 PM   #3
Lucille
Beth if you had a problem with the snakes, perhaps the best thing you could have done was to contact the seller first.

But since you have made an issue of the one with a lump, can you please post a picture?

Old 07-11-2009, 08:19 PM   #4
Lucille
Never mind, just saw it and it does look like a kink.

Old 07-11-2009, 08:21 PM   #5
Quibble
I wanted to be able to tell her whether it was the male or the female that had the kink, so I asked for sexing help first.

Old 07-11-2009, 08:24 PM   #6
Zack319
Why did you leave out the emails where you threatened to post in the BOI about this.

The emails you have provided, you seem to be extremely friendly with Amy, but she keeps mentioning you threatening her.
And yet you've left out those emails.

Why is this?

Old 07-11-2009, 08:36 PM   #7
Quibble
I didnt leav out any e-mails, ask Amy yourself.
She may be referreing to what I said in the other forum at Thamnphis.com, that if things don't work out I have access to the BOI.

This quote
"Maybe I can get the breeder to trade it with me for a healthy female(that I originally paid for). If not, I do have access to the BOI on fauna classifieds..... "

Old 07-11-2009, 08:38 PM   #8
Quibble
misspelling correction: thamnophis.com

Old 07-11-2009, 08:45 PM   #9
Lucille
As things go, she is not showing a temper, more like concern for her reputation and maybe even the snakes.

The one does look like a kink, but she is offering a refund, it's not as if you are stuck with it.

Old 07-11-2009, 08:47 PM   #10
Zack319
But the Beth would like to keep the other snakes she purchased, she has grown attached to them, and doesn't want to send them all back.

Maybe a partial refund would do?

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Tags
garter snake, zerkle