Mile High Herps (Susan Newman) - IBD Infected Snake - Page 9 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > Board of Inquiry®

Notices

Board of Inquiry® This forum is provided exclusively for the discussion of specific persons or businesses in the herp industry.

Old 11-10-2005, 02:04 PM   #81
mmfrankford
Quote:
Originally Posted by BWSmith
Most animal cruelty laws tend to not cover snakes as far as I can tell.
That's a crime in itself.

Old 11-18-2005, 10:20 AM   #82
BWSmith
Update:
Still gathering paperwork and statements from various professionals. The pathology lab is working on establishing a confirmed timeline for the Inclusion Bodies in the Salmon Boa. The process is well beyond my realm of understanding and involves equipment that I have never heard of.

One of my large female boas that gave birth at the beginning of this year is showing signs of a mild RI. I have begun antibiotic treatment and will be taking sterile mouth swabs to the vet for culture. She has good body weight and has been in excellent health, so i began her on Amikacin, which I have found to be a much more effective broad spectrum antibiotic than Baytril. With any luck, it is unrelated since she has not regurged or retained sheds. However, you can understand my concern. If she is unresponsive to antibiotics, I may have to entertain other options.

How could such a beautiful animal cause so much havoc?

Old 11-19-2005, 04:47 PM   #83
Tsutton5
wow

She is a very pretty snake...

Old 11-19-2005, 06:21 PM   #84
SSReptiles
Very beautiful snake B.W. Such a shame that she was infected.

Old 02-13-2006, 05:38 PM   #85
Torin
It has been a few months now. Any updates?

Old 02-13-2006, 06:56 PM   #86
BWSmith
Well, I have been advised to hold off on legal action until the IBD has run its course and I have a total loss estimate.

So far boas that have died or had to be euthanized:
2 Nicaraguan Boa Neonates
Phantom Boa Sibling Neonate
Adult Breeder BCI
Hogg Island Boa
Proven Super DH Ghost male

The adult male boa that I have had for about a decade is also showing symptoms.

Tissue samples are pending pathology reports but all showed SEVERE symptoms. Multiple tissue samples were taken and extra samples are being stored in formalin solution and stored here in the event that the court wants new pathology reports from a different lab.

Old 02-13-2006, 07:07 PM   #87
Torin
Awww crud!

Man, I'm sorry this is happening to you.

Here is hoping that you get it contained and dealt with, without any more damage.

Good luck!

Old 02-13-2006, 08:28 PM   #88
crotalusadamanteus
Words aren't enough.
I hope in the long run you get enough together to really make this broad pay for this. Sucks these things happen to the nicest people.

My sypathies Bro'
Rick

Old 02-13-2006, 10:27 PM   #89
Greg Riso
Playing Devil'

BW, I sympathize with the situation you're faced with but I do have a few simple questions. I remember you said you were a meticulous record keeper. If the animal in question was QUARANTINED properly how could any others have been exposed in such a short time frame? Since you mentioned the animal died within 71 days how long was your quarantine period? It seems to me that if the hypo could have contaminated or possibly contaminated any other animals then how come the reverse situation cannot be possible? If I was Susan's attorney I would argue that one of the animals you just listed contaminated contaminated

Old 02-13-2006, 10:32 PM   #90
chondroqueen
BW, I have just read this thread through and through and all I can say is that I am truly sorry. I can only hope justice will be served in your case. Such a sad, sad story. My thoughts are with you.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!