Reptster Shipping - Page 4 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > Shipping

Notices

Shipping Forum for all issues concerning shipping, shipping companies, and anything directly related to moving animals and products via commercial carriers.

Old 07-05-2008, 09:30 PM   #31
Gary O
Quote:
Originally Posted by hhmoore
Actually, Steph, it IS a legal issue. Regardless of company policy, lizard or snake - by law, if there is a living thing inside the box, it has to be accurately labeled as such (think Lacey Act). All the people that are "flying under the radar" or just plain lying about the contents are in violation. Gary's point is that this (Reptster) offers an easily usable alternative...letting people actually declare the contents of the package they are shipping.

On that note, IS Reptster making that requirement known? What about auditing packages for compliance?

Thanks, That is what I was saying.

And you bring up a good point. Do the people know that you must label tha package with the contents. An Invoice without prices on it works great. With common and latin names. but 95% of packages I get never have it labeled lol

Old 07-05-2008, 09:55 PM   #32
DavidYoung
Ok.....

Thanks to Fauna for letting this live on your site.

Jim,
Great conversation, glad we could talk a little more on the subject and end up on a good note.

To the community,
If you ever have any questions on Reptster.com please call the customer service number at the top of the site. You will either get me or my assistant and we are always open to discuss any issues 24/7. Or you can email me directly at dyoung@reptster.com

John,
Good questions. All the terms are stated on the site on the same page as the video. You have all the same rights and rules as normal FedEx shipping. All areas that FedEx serves are open. If you would incur higher fees using FedEx you will incur them with us. YOU ARE STILL SHIPPING FEDEX. The difference is a year ago I went to them and stated I want free boxes for the entire community. I used the USPS/Ebay program as an example, you get a dollars worth of supplies to ship a five dollar package. They fought us for sometime but said ok under the terms that we pay for the boxes and get reimbursed when people ship off the FedEx/Reptster.com portal. We agreed and started programming immediately. Then I brought the concept of the video to them rather than requiring certification. We had to cover the cost of the video but they ok'd that also.
As for bringing all this up on an open forum. I don’t mind discussing this anywhere. Reptster Inc is a Florida corporation that has four programmers, me and a few others that it is responsible to. We are not a fly by night group, we are here to make a great place for the reptile community. We are only interested in providing services that the community will find valuable and will benefit from. And hopefully if we do that well enough the community will feel its worth advertising with us. If you have any doubts about the integrity of the FedEx program there are plenty of forums where people are talking about there great experiences thus far. Our forum has a few as does ball-pythons.net and a few others.

Thanks for all the support so far and we look forward to the opportunity of earning the business of this community

David Young

PS. I misspelled surprise on my last post. I am aware. Sometimes I type to fast.

Old 07-05-2008, 10:07 PM   #33
DavidYoung
We do require that every package complies with local, state and federal laws. When we have been asked we have responded that you must put the Latin name of the animal on the package to comply with the Lacey act. We cannot monitor every package nor are we responsible for how they are shipped. Just as FedEx cannot monitor this. We are creating a shipping FAQ and would appreciate any contributions the community has to offer.

Thanks,
David Young

Old 07-05-2008, 10:55 PM   #34
Gary O
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidYoung
We do require that every package complies with local, state and federal laws. When we have been asked we have responded that you must put the Latin name of the animal on the package to comply with the Lacey act. We cannot monitor every package nor are we responsible for how they are shipped. Just as FedEx cannot monitor this. We are creating a shipping FAQ and would appreciate any contributions the community has to offer.

Thanks,
David Young

Awesome. That will help. I still think this is a good thing....

Old 07-06-2008, 08:39 AM   #35
TripleMoonsExotic
Quote:
Originally Posted by hhmoore
Actually, Steph, it IS a legal issue. Regardless of company policy, lizard or snake - by law, if there is a living thing inside the box, it has to be accurately labeled as such (think Lacey Act). All the people that are "flying under the radar" or just plain lying about the contents are in violation. Gary's point is that this (Reptster) offers an easily usable alternative...letting people actually declare the contents of the package they are shipping.
You are correct, it it a legal issue if you are referring to the Lacey Act. No one mentioned the Lacey Act, just shipping in general.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidYoung
When we have been asked we have responded that you must put the Latin name of the animal on the package to comply with the Lacey act.
I was under the impression that that Lacey act required both the Latin Name and the Common Name?

Old 07-06-2008, 09:10 AM   #36
Mooing Tricycle
Quote:
Originally Posted by TripleMoonsExotic

I was under the impression that that Lacey act required both the Latin Name and the Common Name?

I think you are right. ( thought the latin name thing is new to me, just because ive only shipped something three times ever...)

Old 07-06-2008, 11:08 AM   #37
Gary O
Quote:
Originally Posted by TripleMoonsExotic

I use both but I believe it states latin name. The reason is common names are not so common. As there are many common names for many species. But there is only one latin name for a animal.

Old 07-06-2008, 11:41 AM   #38
hhmoore
Quote:
3372(d) False labeling offenses
It is unlawful for any person to make or submit any false record, account, or label for, or any false
identification of, any fish, wildlife, or plant which has been, or is intended to be—
(1) imported, exported, transported, sold, purchased, or received from any foreign country; or
(2) transported in interstate or foreign commerce.
Quote:
3376(a)(2) The Secretaries of the Interior and Commerce shall jointly promulgate specific regulations to
implement the provisions of section 3372 (b) of this title for the marking and labeling of containers or
packages containing fish or wildlife. These regulations shall be in accordance with existing commercial
practices.
http://www.fws.gov/le/pdffiles/Lacey.pdf

As for the question at hand - namely, whether the Lacey Act requires scientific name, common name, or both - I don't see the answer. I suspect that the defined requirements for marking are included elsewhere, whether it be a pre-existing document or something subsequent. I was always told that BOTH were a requirement, and that is what I have always done. (Given the variety of common names utilized for the same/similar animals AND the fact that taxonomy is not set in stone, but ever changing; labeling with both seems to make sense)

Old 07-06-2008, 11:53 AM   #39
TripleMoonsExotic
I know I read it somewhere that both were required...But I can't find my source.

Old 07-06-2008, 12:11 PM   #40
SPJ
I am shipping tomorrow. I plan on using Repster and the box they provided.
I decided to schedule the pickup with my account rather than dealing with Kinkos workers at the drop off since there have been a lot of issues with them and the Repster boxes so far (ie: refusing the box).
This will be the one chance Repster gets. If anything goes wrong, I go back to using my account. If it goes without a hitch, then I will probably use them again.
The box will be labeled (which usually means the pickup driver talks for about 10 minutes wanting to know more about what I am shipping this time).
I will let everyone know how it went.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Tags
repster, reptster